Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Holy ....! 
 Post subject: Re: Holy ....!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigBlue wrote:
Traveler wrote:
I watched the "rebuttal" video again. Two things struck me in a particular fashion.

First, shooting at a range with a person in the target area is much safer than not having a battery in my home smoke alarm. Second, the "expert" noted that when the participants in this shoot were asked if they were more aware of their front sights they all said that having a human in the target area made them more aware of their front sights.

The second point, to me, would be akin to saying that you would undoubtedly drive in a safer manner if you tied one of your children to your front bumper while driving to work.

This "expert" certainly has no second thoughts about digging even faster when he realizes he is in a hole.

Regarding the second point...

You think you would not drive safer in that situation? Sure you would.

I can understand where the video guy is coming from on that one. Do I agree completely? Not exactly. But this is similar to the 'never, ever, ever' argument made about drinking and driving. Most people say "If you've had any alcohol you are a considerably worse driver than a sober person". To that I say BS. I think some people are FAR more aware of their surroundings, drive closer to the speed limit, and obey the letter of every traffic law after they've had a couple drinks than they do when they are stone sober. Sure, there is some line to be crossed when the alcohol consumption hits a point and wins out and they just get sloppy, but for that 1-3 drink point where they are still acting 'normal' I'd say they drive better as long as they are concerned about their driving and trying to be careful. This isn't everybody who drinks, mind you. Just some. Look at it this way: If we assume they are 100% capable when sober but they drive a little aggressively and speed a bit (10 over, like most everyone else), they are probably only driving at 75% of their true capability. They are probably distracted, not using their signals all the time, in a rush, etc. On the other hand, if they have a little alcohol which reduces their functioning down to 90% of their capability AND they are focused on driving as carefully as they can, they are driving at 90%. 90% beats 75%. These are just random numbers to get a point across. I'm sure many folks will rip me apart for this viewpoint, but whatever. I'll stand by my idea that a couple drinks is NOT going to unequivocally make you a worse driver in real world conditions.

So how does this relate to the video?? I think the guy might have a point that those folks firing with a person standing somewhere in front of the firing line ARE going to be more careful than they normally would. It is still more risky for that person to be in front of the line than behind it, for sure, but it isn't necessarily a huge risk that automatically will lead to carnage. Do it right and the risk is low. Should everyone try it? No, in general they shouldn't. But don't make it into a 'never, ever, ever' situation.

BB

In summary: Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I can rationalize all sorts of things - that doesn't make them right.

Post subject: Re: Holy ....!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:57 pm 

I prefer to think of it like this:

Just because something 'might' be wrong, or even 'might often' be wrong, does not mean it is 'always' wrong. Sometimes freedom means that people wiser, dumber, braver, or more practiced might make a decision you don't agree with. But it doesn't make them wrong in doing so.

BB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.