Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Holy ....! 
 Post subject: Re: Holy ....!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the find, somebody also e-mailed it to me.

NOTE: You can also embed Liveleak videos here by just hitting the liveleak button above and putting the video url between the tags.

[liveleak]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=db0_1245629888[/liveleak]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Insane photographer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:15 pm 

I can't believe this is real (read I hope that this is not real):

http://www.maniacworld.com/insane-photographer.html

Apologies if it has already made the rounds...

Post subject: Re: Insane photographer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:17 pm 

Found this "explanation":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R3t0wuLDWQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Merged and moved the entire thread to Stupid Gun Stuff. This one definitely qualifies.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:42 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
kecker wrote:
Somebody needs to teach this guy The First Rule of Holes.

You mean the one that states you are normally born with the correct number of them, and adding to that number via high-speed metal objects may negatively impact your health?

-Mark

Well that's a good one too, but I meant that if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:07 am 

Hey Mom! Went to the range today- missed the target but I shot a really stupid photographer. :D

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:50 am 
Journeyman Member

Harland wrote:
Hey Mom! Went to the range today- missed the target but I shot a really stupid photographer. :D
Can you give me a hand hanging him in the garage and field dressing him?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I watched the "rebuttal" video again. Two things struck me in a particular fashion.

First, shooting at a range with a person in the target area is much safer than not having a battery in my home smoke alarm. Second, the "expert" noted that when the participants in this shoot were asked if they were more aware of their front sights they all said that having a human in the target area made them more aware of their front sights.

The second point, to me, would be akin to saying that you would undoubtedly drive in a safer manner if you tied one of your children to your front bumper while driving to work.

This "expert" certainly has no second thoughts about digging even faster when he realizes he is in a hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
The second point, to me, would be akin to saying that you would undoubtedly drive in a safer manner if you tied one of your children to your front bumper while driving to work.

But I'll bet they wouldn't complain about having soggy cereal again for a very, very long time. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Interview with the downrange cameraman (mp3 download)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Traveler wrote:
First, shooting at a range with a person in the target area is much safer than not having a battery in my home smoke alarm.

It's certainly much safer for you. I'm not so sure about for him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:11 pm 

Jeez, somebody should invent some sort of camera stand, maybe with 3 legs or something, so that photographers could stop risking their lives for up close video of stuff like this. Maybe I'll call the patent office in the morning.

Wow... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:03 am 

If what this guy said had merit, SWAT teams would practice with live hostages and cardboard BG's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Chunkychuck wrote:
If what this guy said had merit, SWAT teams would practice with live hostages and cardboard BG's.

They do in Israel... :shock: :shock: :shock:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 am 

Traveler wrote:
I watched the "rebuttal" video again. Two things struck me in a particular fashion.

First, shooting at a range with a person in the target area is much safer than not having a battery in my home smoke alarm. Second, the "expert" noted that when the participants in this shoot were asked if they were more aware of their front sights they all said that having a human in the target area made them more aware of their front sights.

This "expert" certainly has no second thoughts about digging even faster when he realizes he is in a hole.

Regarding the second point...

You think you would not drive safer in that situation? Sure you would.

I can understand where the video guy is coming from on that one. Do I agree completely? Not exactly. But this is similar to the 'never, ever, ever' argument made about drinking and driving. Most people say "If you've had any alcohol you are a considerably worse driver than a sober person". To that I say BS. I think some people are FAR more aware of their surroundings, drive closer to the speed limit, and obey the letter of every traffic law after they've had a couple drinks than they do when they are stone sober. Sure, there is some line to be crossed when the alcohol consumption hits a point and wins out and they just get sloppy, but for that 1-3 drink point where they are still acting 'normal' I'd say they drive better as long as they are concerned about their driving and trying to be careful. This isn't everybody who drinks, mind you. Just some. Look at it this way: If we assume they are 100% capable when sober but they drive a little aggressively and speed a bit (10 over, like most everyone else), they are probably only driving at 75% of their true capability. They are probably distracted, not using their signals all the time, in a rush, etc. On the other hand, if they have a little alcohol which reduces their functioning down to 90% of their capability AND they are focused on driving as carefully as they can, they are driving at 90%. 90% beats 75%. These are just random numbers to get a point across. I'm sure many folks will rip me apart for this viewpoint, but whatever. I'll stand by my idea that a couple drinks is NOT going to unequivocally make you a worse driver in real world conditions.

So how does this relate to the video?? I think the guy might have a point that those folks firing with a person standing somewhere in front of the firing line ARE going to be more careful than they normally would. It is still more risky for that person to be in front of the line than behind it, for sure, but it isn't necessarily a huge risk that automatically will lead to carnage. Do it right and the risk is low. Should everyone try it? No, in general they shouldn't. But don't make it into a 'never, ever, ever' situation.

BB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.