Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Hennepin County Library 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:33 am 

Was there a ticket issued?

Are you suing under a civil right violation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:49 am 

bab wrote:
I am going to stop by the library on my way home, just to see if it is still standing after todays shock :wink: Hopefully nobody will scream "GRAB HIM!!! HE'S GOT A KEY CHAIN KNIFE!!!" :shock:

They can (and will) scream if you bring that to the gov't center downtown. In fact, I'm pretty sure the entrance to tower A has my leatherman micra on display in their 'forbidden items' display box :roll:

MADFI Instructor #16, Minnesota Personal Protection Instructors (MNPPI) Instructor #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Ah, don't get me started on the weapons screening at the Government Center. I don't happen to work there (but my wife does), but I did tell one of the people in the department who cooked this up that it's now easier to get inside the walls of the Kremlin than it is to go to any floor of the Government Center.

I understand, though, that Swiss Army knives have occasionally successfully passed through the screening. Sorry about your Leatherman mnMark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:14 am 
Journeyman Member

Old Dude wrote:
Ah, don't get me started on the weapons screening at the Government Center. I don't happen to work there (but my wife does), but I did tell one of the people in the department who cooked this up that it's now easier to get inside the walls of the Kremlin than it is to go to any floor of the Government Center.

I understand, though, that Swiss Army knives have occasionally successfully passed through the screening. Sorry about your Leatherman mnMark.

Funny you should put it that way. In October of last year, I actually did enter and visit the Kremlin while carrying a deadly assault Swiss Army pocket knife with a 2" blade. There were no problems whatsoever.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:19 am 
Longtime Regular

I, too, carried a knife inside the Kremlin walls. But God forbid that I should try to carry even the smallest Swiss Army knife into the Government Center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:35 am 
Longtime Regular

It really doesn't make much sense since that is the only security. You can walk into any division, any office. No keycards, no receptionists, no ID checks, no one asks who you are. I realize they are not private business but there are many other ways to cause harm other than what they screen for on entry.

Just my opinion, what the hell do I know...

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:55 am 
Longtime Regular

mo_the_mouse wrote:
It really doesn't make much sense since that is the only security. You can walk into any division, any office. No keycards, no receptionists, no ID checks, no one asks who you are. I realize they are not private business but there are many other ways to cause harm other than what they screen for on entry.

Just my opinion, what the hell do I know...

It is about "Feeling Safe", which has very little to do with "Being Safe".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't know what the bill was for the weapons screening system itself, but I do know that they had to hire a lot more Hennepin County Security staff and spend some serious cash on their contract with Viking Security. Again, I'm not privy to exact amounts, but I'm sure it's public record if anybody is interested.

Even at that, this is something of a "cheap fix." Think of the design of the Government Center itself. It was build in the 1970s when access was all important. Frankly, the County would have to spend a bundle, a serious bundle, of taxpayer dollars to make the building secure. Access cards are being developed for certain areas, but it's a slow process and an expensive one.

I'm not defending their actions. I'm merely explaining how I think the County thinks. Frankly, I worry about some County employees I know more than most visitors to the Government Center.

Post subject: short update
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:42 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

I had sent a request, return receipt requested, to the security field supervisor for Hennepin County (who I was told to send it to) for any incident reports or data that they had regarding my visit to the library. I got back the receipt indicating that they received my request on 2/6. I am still waiting for the incident report to arrive. I don't know why this could be taking so long, the Edina police gave theirs to me in 10 minutes. David Gross has been apprised of the delay, I have been given no further instructions as yet. More when I know.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 pm 

Reaver,
Thanks for the update. Updates good. Have been avoiding the urge to pester you for an update.

Why am I not surprised at the County dragging their feet on this. They were sure in a big enough hurry to have you illegally ejected from the library :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

You might try a telephone follow-up. It's a bit harder for them to ignore a phone call than a written request.

Post subject: another update
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:36 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

You're gonna love this one.

I emailed David Gross on Wednesday, February 15 at 1:30 pm that Hennepin County had received my request on February 6, and that as of that time, I had not received the incident report.

Today, I got home and got the mail, and guess what? The incident report from the library had arrived. The date on the cover letter? February 15. Coincidence? We report, you decide.

In a way, it's funny, but I think more sad that one has to have a lawyer kick them in the nuts to get them to do their jobs.

The report basically correctly described the situation as it played out. I was heartened to see that the librarian wrote that I was apologetic to her, and sorry to place her in the middle of this.

The report is going to David Gross first thing Monday am, and as always, when I know more you will.

Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Your own little Valentine from the county. :)

Post subject: Big News
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:35 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

Victory

According to David Gross, Pat Diamond, Assistant Hennepin County Attorney, has communicated to the library board and senior staff a change in the library's policy. This "new" policy recognizes permits to carry. I don't know the exact wording or details, but lawful permit holders should not have any problems in any Hennepin County Library in the future. I know the signs are still up, but as of now they do not apply to us. They are the next order of business.

Interesting nugget: Apparently there were some knowledgeable and professional Hennepin County employees who raised this very question when the signs went up, and they were told to sit down and shut up. Some I told you so's have been going out.

Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Way to go reaver!!!!

Thank you for spear-heading this fantastic victory!

Your drinks are on me, if the occasion arises...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Last edited by e5usmc on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.