Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Half-Price Books - Apple Valley 
 Post subject: Half-Price Books - Apple Valley
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

I stopped into Half Price Books in Apple Valley this weekend. They have two entrances one has a 2" "Weapons Free Zone" label underneath the door handle. I've been in there several times and never seen it before.

I might stop in there soon and try to pick up a copy of How to Build and Operate Your Own Small Hydroelectric Plant by J. George Butler. I think is from the early 70's. While I am there I will give them a piece of my mind.

Post subject: Re: Half-Price Books - Apple Valley
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
I stopped into Half Price Books in Apple Valley this weekend. They have two entrances one has a 2" "Weapons Free Zone" label underneath the door handle. I've been in there several times and never seen it before.

I might stop in there soon and try to pick up a copy of How to Build and Operate Your Own Small Hydroelectric Plant by J. George Butler. I think is from the early 70's. While I am there I will give them a piece of my mind.

To dust off the tired old chestnut, is it a compliant sign?

I've gone to that location (once or twice in the last year or so) and I've never seen the sign.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not even close. It is only on one door. I thought the signed door used to have a sign that said "Use Other Door" but I could be mistaken.
It is improperly worded, white letters on clear glass, and not prominently displayed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:39 am 
Longtime Regular

We ought to start a "wall of shame", displaying all of the non-compliant signs banning "scary" guns in Minnesota. It would be kind of fin to have a role call of all the different ideas out there.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Binky .357 wrote:
We ought to start a "wall of shame", displaying all of the non-compliant signs banning "scary" guns in Minnesota. It would be kind of fin to have a role call of all the different ideas out there.

I don't care if the sign is "compliant" or not, they've clearly stated they don't want my money either way.

And if you can get a picture of the sign, even better. Just keep adding them to the "victim disarmament zones" forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was at Half Price Books in St. Louis Park (Excelsior just east of 100) this morning. I looked pretty carefully: they do NOT have a 'bans guns' sign, of any sort, there.

Though for a pretty big pile of books I didn't even get the price of a box of ammo. Got more room in my house, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 am 

I was just there and noticed it, want gonna come here to rant, then found this thread! LOL

I grabbed a snapshot with my Iphone... so it's not great res, but you get the idea...

ImageImage

ImageImage

Needless to say, they didn't get a dime, and won't.

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:06 pm 

Okay, I apologize up front for the stupidity of the question, but it just came to mind. I'm all aboard not patronizing establishments banning (properly or not) carry, but what about taking their money? One of our colleagues here mentioned bringing some books in to a different location that was not posted and selling them.

I suppose that could be considered patronizing, since they will make a profit selling what you sold them . . . . . any thoughts?

I realize this is splitting hairs, but my curiosity got the best of me.

Minneapolis Police/Fire Dispatcher

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sipowicz wrote:
...but what about taking their money?...

Well, the hydroelectric book I picked up was priced $10 (NIB) in their store. Amazon is selling a few tattered copies for $150.

I don't feel bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sipowicz wrote:
Okay, I apologize up front for the stupidity of the question, but it just came to mind. I'm all aboard not patronizing establishments banning (properly or not) carry, but what about taking their money? One of our colleagues here mentioned bringing some books in to a different location that was not posted and selling them.

I suppose that could be considered patronizing, since they will make a profit selling what you sold them . . . . . any thoughts?

I realize this is splitting hairs, but my curiosity got the best of me.

Well, yeah I was taking their money, but only in the short run since they'll presumably resell my books at a profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:31 pm 
Journeyman Member

I went there this summer to buy some DVDs, when I came back again the next day I noticed the sign. It's so tiny that I didn't see it the first time when I was carrying a pocket knife in my pocket.

If the sign isn't compliant, do you need to disarm before entering the store?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:34 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

singhcr wrote:

Quote:
If the sign isn't compliant, do you need to disarm before entering the store?

No, unless they inform you specifically that they don't want you and your firearm in the store.

Why, though, would you want to do business with someone who posts, however uncompliantly?

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 pm 

Both of their doors should say "use other door."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 am 

I seem to recall that the "main" entrance at the Coon Rapids/Fridly (Northtown) location has such a sign as well. "Weapons-free zone" or some such. On the door NOT located near the 'buying counter' where they price stuff. Haven't been that way in awhile, I'll try to snap a picture next time I get down that way. (Might be one on the other door too, I can't remember)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:54 pm 
First-time poster

Incakola wrote:
I was just there and noticed it, want gonna come here to rant, then found this thread! LOL

I grabbed a snapshot with my Iphone... so it's not great res, but you get the idea...

Needless to say, they didn't get a dime, and won't.

Same signs on a Half-Price Books (that I USED to spend a lot of money at) in Ohio.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.