Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Big Island Park, "City of Orono" Lake Minnetonka 
 Post subject: Big Island Park, "City of Orono" Lake Minnetonka
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:56 am 

"Firearms are prohibited"

http://www.ci.orono.mn.us/rules_&_regulations.htm

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:00 pm 

This is a joke right? Right???

I do not think I have ever seen the words :

No
Not
Prohibited

Repeated so many time before - swear its sounds like something Suchie would read as an on-air bit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

The only thing allowed in the park:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Check out these two threads. Ree and I were able to get the city code & park sinage issues cleaned up in Lakeville. All in all it was pretty easy to get fixed. There was some concern about blowback, getting the city upset and ahving someone get uppoty and want to change the State's carry laws.

A Signage Issue
Signage Issue - Reply From Lakeville

This thread is not Lakeville specific, but a discussion on fixing up these around MN.
Clean up the City Codes Blitz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:50 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm on it. :)
Quote:
Mr. Wells and Mr. Mattick,<br><br>It has recently come to my attention that the rules and regulations for Big Island Nature Park, posted on the City of Orono web site at <a target="_blank" href="http://www.ci.orono.mn.us/rules_&_regulations.htm">http://www.ci.orono.mn.us/rules_&_regulations.htm</a>, are not in compliance with state law.<br><br>The page currently contains the following language:<br><br><blockquote><b><u>Firearms, etc.</u></b> Firearms, explosives, slingshots, bows and arrows, paintball guns and other weapons are prohibited in the Park at all times. Discharge of firecrackers or fireworks or detonation of explosive devices of any kind in the Park is prohibited.<br></blockquote><br>As I am sure you are aware, the Minnesota Citizens Personal Protection Act of 2003, codified in Minnesota Statute 624.714, allows persons issued a permit by their country sheriff to carry a firearm on or about their persons in a public place -- including a public park. The permit is, as Subdivision 2(c) makes clear, "...a state permit...effective throughout the state," including, of course, Orono.<br><br>The statute also specifically states, in Subdivision 23, that "No sheriff, police chief, governmental unit, government official, government employee, or other person or body acting under color of law or governmental authority may change, modify, or supplement these criteria or procedures, or limit the exercise of a permit to carry."<br><br>To keep Orono and the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District in compliance with state law and to avoid any unfortunate and potentially dangerous confusion on the part of law enforcement personnel or other citizens, I respectfully recommend that the city take immediate steps to update the park rules and web site to conform to state law.<br><br>One way this could be done is demonstrated below:<br><br><blockquote><b><s>Firearms, etc.</s></b><u><b></b><b>Weapons</b></u><b>:</b> Firearms, explosives, slingshots, bows and arrows, paintball guns and other weapons are prohibited in the Park at all times<u>, with the exception of firearms carried by persons possessing a Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol</u>. Discharge of <u>firearms,</u> firecrackers or fireworks or detonation of explosive devices of any kind in the Park is prohibited.<br></blockquote><br>If you have any questions, I am at your service. I look forward to your timely reply.<br><br>Sincerely,<br><br>Andrew Rothman<br>Executive Director<br>Minnesota Association of Defensive Firearm Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Go get 'em Andrew! :twisted:

Call 'em out and take them to task as needed. 8)

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Sure, but we always start with honey, not vinegar. It worked well in Rochester.

(But I did prominently CC the MADFI attorney, just to make sure the email has some traction. :))

Hunter07 wrote:
Go get 'em Andrew! :twisted:

Call 'em out and take them to task as needed. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:26 pm 

Nicely done Andrew. Can't wait to see the response. Who are Wells and Mattick? MCWD and City of Orono Attorneys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

They are the city administrator and city attorney.

J. R. wrote:
Nicely done Andrew. Can't wait to see the response. Who are Wells and Mattick? MCWD and City of Orono Attorneys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Says you can't fish from a city dock??? That's weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:

Fishing lines and boat motors....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 pm 
In the time out chair

JimC wrote:

That's actually a common rule, and, iirc, a regulation in DNR codes. A certain county I'm aware of enforces this quite a bit. As was said, it's mostly due to fishing lines, boat motors, and the safe entry/departure from boats for folks launching a craft. Hard to board your boat when 15 other people are trying to fish from the dock...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:41 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, they haven't responded. Next email went to the city council and mayor, copied to the city administrator and attorney.

Quote:
To: jwhite@ci.orono.mn.us, cbremer@ci.orono.mn.us, lmcmillan@ci.orono.mn.us, jmurphy@goldengate.net, dfranchot@ci.orono.mn.us
Subject: Second notice: Park rules correction
Cc: "Marc S. Berris, Esq.", "William Wells, Orono City Administrator" <bwells@ci.orono.mn.us>, "Orono City Attorney Soren Mattick, Esq." <smattick@ck-law.com>

Mr. Mayor and members of the city council,

When I sent the message below to Mr. Wells and Mr. Mattick a week and a half ago, I expected at least the courtesy of a reply. I am sorry to say I received none.

Once again: a portion of your park rules stand in conflict with state law and are therefore nullified an unenforceable. Should any city official take any steps to enforce such a rule, they would open the city to legal action, up to and including a civil action under 42 USC 1983.

I expect that you will move will all haste to correct them, and suggest that next Monday's council meeting would be an ideal time to do so.

Sincerely,

Andrew Rothman
Executive Director
Minnesota Association of Defensive Firearm Instructors

Quote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Park rules correction
Date: Sun, April 12, 2009
To: "William Wells, Orono City Administrator" <bwells@ci.orono.mn.us>,
"Orono City Attorney Soren Mattick, Esq." <smattick@ck-law.com>
Cc: "Marc S. Berris, Esq."

Mr. Wells and Mr. Mattick,

It has recently come to my attention that the rules and regulations for Big Island Nature Park, posted on the City of Orono web site at http://www.ci.orono.mn.us/rules_&_regulations.htm, are not in compliance with state law.

The page currently contains the following language:

Quote:
Firearms, etc. Firearms, explosives, slingshots, bows and arrows, paintball guns and other weapons are prohibited in the Park at all times. Discharge of firecrackers or fireworks or detonation of explosive devices of any kind in the Park is prohibited.

As I am sure you are aware, the Minnesota Citizens Personal Protection Act of 2003, codified in Minnesota Statute 624.714, allows persons issued a permit by their country sheriff to carry a firearm on or about their persons in a public place -- including a public park. The permit is, as Subdivision 2(c) makes clear, "...a state permit...effective throughout the state," including, of course, Orono.

The statute also specifically states, in Subdivision 23, that "No sheriff, police chief, governmental unit, government official, government employee, or other person or body acting under color of law or governmental authority may change, modify, or supplement these criteria or procedures, or limit the exercise of a permit to carry."

To keep Orono and the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District in compliance with state law and to avoid any unfortunate and potentially dangerous confusion on the part of law enforcement personnel or other citizens, I respectfully recommend that the city take immediate steps to update the park rules and web site to conform to state law.

One way this could be done is demonstrated below:

Quote:
<s>Firearms, etc.</s>Weapons: Firearms, explosives, slingshots, bows and arrows, paintball guns and other weapons are prohibited in the Park at all times<u>, with the exception of firearms carried by persons possessing a Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol</u>. Discharge of <u>firearms, </u>firecrackers or fireworks or detonation of explosive devices of any kind in the Park is prohibited.

If you have any questions, I am at your service. I look forward to your timely reply.

Sincerely,

Andrew Rothman
Executive Director
Minnesota Association of Defensive Firearm Instructors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:09 am 
Longtime Regular

They're probably fumbling around trying to look up and read what the law actually says. You sent them into a Tizzy, lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, the city attorney's position is that the dog ate his homework:

Orono City Attorney Soren Mattick wrote:
Mr. Rothman,

I received your two emails for the first time this morning. My email system will not accept emails that have attachments or internal internet links from people that have not sent me emails in the past.

I have had an opportunity to review your initial request and will speak with the city regarding your concerns. This item will not be on the agenda for the April 27th meeting.

I will forward any decision the City makes regarding your request to you via email.

Thank you for you legal opinion regarding the park rules and the City’s liability.

Soren

I swear, this doesn't have to be a big deal. Rochester's city attorney and city council fixed an almost identical problem after a single email, and thanked us for bringing the issue to their attention. No muss. no fuss, no bother.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.