Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Do all permit classes ban carry? 
 Post subject: Do all permit classes ban carry?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 pm 

The last time I took a class, we were all told that for insurance reasons no guns could be in the classroom let alone a loaded one by a current permit holder. I find it odd that instructors take issue with posting and how to either ignore or boycott the posted business but are essentially posting themselves.

Are there some instructors out there that have insurance that allows permit holders to carry to the classroom, and if so are you paying more to do so?

BTW
Where I work, we had to have a policy about firearms on site to get a policy. I put in the handbook that you could not discharge on company property and that seemed to qualify us. Go figure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do all permit classes ban carry?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I allow carry in my classes. WE don't take any of the guns out for show and tell but carry is fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:43 pm 

I ask students to bring their guns unloaded and in a case, but if they have a permit, I don't mind if they prefer to carry. We don't handle guns in the classroom. My insurance (through NRA) did not stipulate one way or the other.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
I allow carry in my classes. WE don't take any of the guns out for show and tell but carry is fine.

Same here. Allthough any NRA class there is no live ammo in the class room, that includes me. My carry class is not an NRA class. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:59 pm 

When my permit is due again or I just take a class with friends or family, I will look up classes that don't restrict me. If some instructors really are limited by their insurance carrier, they should also be more symathetic to chain store managers who cite the same reason.

It should be obvious to any permit holder that show and tell of your carry gun is juvenile and uncouth at either a class or your local grocery store. I am sure that there might be some that chime in that they have had "show and tell" in their class. IMHO this should be a trip out the door sans refund.

Thanks for the info

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:28 pm 

I feel I should clarify...my class is not an NRA class either, my insurance is acquired through the NRA.

It's actually underwritten by Lloyds of London.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:41 pm 
The Man

I got asked that a lot during the first flurry of renewals, last year. Not a problem for permit holders to carry in TCCarry classes; when I do an NRA class, of course, I do it by NRA rules.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:29 pm 
1911 tainted

I have a simple rule, but some of the locations that I teach classes at have rules of their own.

NRA rules are no ammo in class, that would include ammo in carry guns. I do classes at places that require the student's to check their gun at the counter, not my rule, the rule of the business that is hosting the class.

Now if we are under my rule, the rule is very simple, no show & tell, period. At the beginning of class I do not explain this rule, I see no need to, I just expect a permit holder to know this and as of yet I have not had a single issue. At the very end of the class when I am explaining the course of fire on the range, at that point I will ask if anyone is carrying and explain my need to know because of how they will be handled on the range. If nobody is carrying, then I skip over that part of the range procedure, if someone is, then I explain what their procedure is and how they will be handled when they come down to the line.

I do not carry during class, my carry weapon gets stored away during class. I carry up to just before the start of my class and disarm until later when I am packing up the class material and the class is heading to the range. I do not want access to my carry weapon during class, or any loaded weapon during class, for those that have taken my class, you understand why.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I took my renewal with a local gun range in Robbinsdale who claimed no carry in the classroom. I just used a different gun for my quals and concealed what I was carrying. No one said anything.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 pm 
1911 tainted

Moby Clarke wrote:
I took my renewal with a local gun range in Robbinsdale who claimed no carry in the classroom. I just used a different gun for my quals and concealed what I was carrying. No one said anything.

Because you concealed. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I took my renewal, I never even thought about it. I just went to the class, as I always do.

Now as to whether I was carrying, I do my carrying like Schrodinger's cat. Unless and until I have a reason to display my pistol, I am both carrying and not carrying, simultaneously.

In this case, the instructor was making some sort of point about IWB holsters, and asked me to show mine. So I reached in my pants, pulled my holster up to an IWB position, the wave function collapsed, and I discovered that I was carrying, that day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
I do not carry during class, my carry weapon gets stored away during class. I carry up to just before the start of my class and disarm until later when I am packing up the class material and the class is heading to the range. I do not want access to my carry weapon during class, or any loaded weapon during class, for those that have taken my class, you understand why.

I was gonna say that I didn't notice you carrying during the class I attended back in Dec. Honestly, I was kinda 'surprised' that you weren't, but not really.

The professionalism that you showed during the class was, shall we say.........EXCEPTIONAL! 8)

Kinda informal, laid back.........whatever you wanna call it, but SAFETY prevailed....FIRST & FOREMOST! 8)

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

brent375hh wrote:
The last time I took a class, we were all told that for insurance reasons no guns could be in the classroom let alone a loaded one by a current permit holder.

I would just ignore the rule and carry concealed.

:D

Last edited by Lenny7 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I take my renewal I will perform research at that time and make my selection of instructor. Whomever I choose, I will follow the rules of the class. I do not see that as being overly restrictive of my "rights". I wouldn't even think of subverting that by "deep conceal" or whatever. It is their class, they make the rules. Paying my fee does not entitle me to set the rules nor the curriculum. That is just my very humble opinion. Your opinion may be completely different, but should that be the case, I would prefer that we took classes at separate times and at separate venues.

With all due respect, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm going to the MADFI training in a couple of weeks to get certified to teach carry courses on my own, but I've been assisting a few other folks in the meantime. All the rules have been the same for their classes: current permit holders may carry, but it does not come out of the holster until the qualification, period. Failure to follow that rule means ejection, do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not get completion certificate.

AFAIK, they've yet to have a single problem. :D

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.