Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Perkins Reverses Policy... 
 Post subject: Perkins Reverses Policy...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

First, I just received a call from Bill, the North Metro regional manager of Perkins, the gentleman I spoke with last week when the whole issues of Perkins banning guns came up. See this for background: http://twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13638

Bill and his bosses, after receiving many emails from you guys, I am sure, have come to the understanding that they will not have a policy on guns. They will treat each instance on it own merits. They will communicate this to their store managers and will provide them will training as to when they would take offense to a gun. Bill used the example that if someone removed their gun from the holster and started waving it around, then offense would be taken. I told him if I saw that, I would take offense as well. He clarified that as long as the gun owner did nothing offensive with their gun, they would be welcome in Perkins Restaurants.

I told him that we permit to carry holders, are not the problem. We just are taking an active roll in our own security. We just want to come in and enjoy a good meal and not be hassled as we are not bothering anyone else. But that we do take business owners requests not to come into their stores when they post signs seriously. We try to respect their wishes and spend our money elsewhere. Bill agreed and claimed they, upper management, were glad they were forced to look at their policy and better clarify just what they should do.

This is, I believe, a real victory. When we get together and voice our displeasure with how gun owners are treated, and we show that adverse treatment will have a dire impact on someone’s finances, sometimes cooler heads will prevail. They have in the offices of Perkins upper management. Nice job everyone!

Not get out there and have a Tremendous Twelve meal. If you substitute a cinnamon roll for the pancakes, it is even better!

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Perkins Reverses Policy...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
This is, I believe, a real victory.

Yep. I got the same message from Bill this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Great Work guys, I think i will go to the Perkins in BP for lunch today and let them know I am there because of the change in their policy.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:40 am 

I would urge those who did email etc do so again to let them know we are glad they heard us.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

ree wrote:
Moby Clarke wrote:
This is, I believe, a real victory.

Yep. I got the same message from Bill this morning.

Me three.

I offered up that permit holders are probably the most honest and law-abiding patronage they (Perkins') have. I brought up the yearly federal and state background checks, no criminal history ect.... and asked him what he knew about his other customers, let alone employees. To that he said, "you have some very valid points, and this is why we decided to take a look at this and form a policy."

He mention the gun being out of a secure holster thing, I cut him off and mentioned that Minnesota doesn't have a brandishing law and that if the person waving it around were to point the gun and someone or was to threaten people; that what we have is called "hit the deck" and at a minimum 5th degree assault slash terroristic threats.

I also mentioned that since they have received contact from many instructors that perhaps they at corporate would consider taking any of our classes to further enlighten themselves' about Minnesota’s carry laws. He mentioned that 8 people at their Mn corporate office have carry permits. That's all I got. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:38 am 
Longtime Regular

My response to Patti in operations:

Quote:
Patti-

Although I have not heard anything directly from local management, many of my fellow instructors and permit holders have...and we understand that Perkins has decided to not ban permit holders from their restaurants. Of course, should someone ever cause a safety violation they should be removed...I believe you'd find nothing but unfettered support from the carry community should such an unlikely event ever happen. We, as a whole, take everyone's safety very seriously.

That is excellent news, and I have already mentioned the change in policy on the national forums. Judging from the response, I'd expect to see a few extra people in your restaurants today. The news has been very well received. :-)

Best,

-Mark Okern

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
Bill and his bosses, after receiving many emails from you guys, I am sure, have come to the understanding that they will not have a policy on guns. They will treat each instance on it own merits.

That's less than optimal. "No policy" means letting their restaurant managers, however ignorant or hoplophobic, to make the rules.

Walmart, in contrast, has a corporate policy: legal carry in Walmart stores is just fine with them. That's what we want.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 am 
The Man

It's not as good, but it's close. That which is not prohibited is permitted, and all. And if the nice folks think that they're saving a little face this way, there's worse things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Moby Clarke wrote:
Bill and his bosses, after receiving many emails from you guys, I am sure, have come to the understanding that they will not have a policy on guns. They will treat each instance on it own merits.

That's less than optimal. "No policy" means letting their restaurant managers, however ignorant or hoplophobic, to make the rules.

Walmart, in contrast, has a corporate policy: legal carry in Walmart stores is just fine with them. That's what we want.

FYI, all, I've got a polite note in asking if there will be a written policy distributed.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:31 am 

Just got my call from Bill. At least pretty decent that he is following up personally

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:50 am 
Journeyman Member

I just got a call from Bill too.

He said that he was going to personally follow up with everyone he received an email from and he wanted to update me on it. He says they don't currently have a policy and they don't plan on creating one in the very near future.

He said he welcomes us with open arms and wants to personally invite us back.

Awesome. I'm glad they see it that way.

+1 for the good guys!!!

Perkins will definitely get my business.

Maybe we should have a meet-up there sometime?

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Good point...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Got my call from Bill, need to return it.

I'll politely ask what steps will be taken (in absence of written policy) to ensure that a rogue anti-gun manager doesn't create an issue when there really isn't an issue to be created.

If somebody else hears from him first, please feel free to ask the same question and post here.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:14 pm 
The Man

All sensible. I'm really itching to make a phone call myself, but I can't see how that would do any good, with this particular incident manifestly already in such competent hands.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

ssax wrote:
He says they don't currently have a policy and they don't plan on creating one in the very near future.

That's doublespeak.

"Permit holders are welcome and should not be harassed by management" IS a policy -- and one they need.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:25 pm 
Journeyman Member

Andrew Rothman wrote:
ssax wrote:
He says they don't currently have a policy and they don't plan on creating one in the very near future.

That's doublespeak.

"Permit holders are welcome and should not be harassed by management" IS a policy -- and one they need.

I agree, I'm fairly new to this and I accepted it as "we welcome permit holders". I have a lot to learn. He did leave a voicemail, so you think I should call back? If so, what should I say?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.