Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 City of Savage Meeting Rooms? 
 Post subject: City of Savage Meeting Rooms?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 am 

Needed a meeting room at city hall and noticed this on the agreement you have to sign:
http://www.cityofsavage.com/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=doc&id=200&format=raw
7. ... No weapons or “looks-like-a” weapon shall be brought on City property with the exception of authorized police personnel
11. Failure to observe any and all regulations shall result in the loss of meeting room privileges by the group.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Post subject: City of Savage Posting, Sort of?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:57 am 

Cross-Posted, but figure this was better place to ask question:

Needed a meeting room at city hall and noticed this on the agreement you have to sign:
http://www.cityofsavage.com/index.php?o ... format=raw

7. ... No weapons or “looks-like-a” weapon shall be brought on City property with the exception of authorized police personnel
11. Failure to observe any and all regulations shall result in the loss of meeting room privileges by the group.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Post subject: Re: City of Savage Posting, Sort of?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:11 am 

Does the meeting room 'have' to be at city hall? Can you go anywhere more gun friendly? The way I understand the law the city/county can't prohibit guns on their property but as we have seen some do anyway (Hennepin County). I suppose you could just carry concealed and not worry about it. According to the statement if you violate the rules you simply lose the meeting room and that's only if you were outed somehow. I know when I lived in New Brighton the city hall building's main entrance had a sign but it was worded something like, "New Brighton City Hall Does Not Welcome Guns On The Premises" or something silly like that. I would simply ignore it when I went there to pay my tabs or something.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:24 pm 

Not as worried about myself, but for organization that I attend meeting for.

Would not like to see the city ban a group just because I attended a meeting.

Was curious if the legal types had any suggestions on a letter to send to the city.

This would seem to be a clear violation and would rather fix this ahead of time instead of waiting for a group to get banned.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a message into City staff. I expect a response this week and will post when I hear back from them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: City of Savage Meeting Rooms?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:25 am 
Longtime Regular

I received a reply and it is apparent that further discussion with the City is necessary. I'll provide updates as I have them.

ETA: On a somewhat positive note, I checked the City Code and they don't try to ban the possession of firearms in parks. They only ban the discharge or display.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
I received a reply and it is apparent that further discussion with the City is necessary. I'll provide updates as I have them.

ETA: On a somewhat positive note, I checked the City Code and they don't try to ban the possession of firearms in parks. They only ban the discharge or display.

Display? Could you post the ordinance?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Display? Could you post the ordinance?

doh! I didn't even catch that. I read "display" and in my mind I was thinking brandishing (I know there's no brandishing law).
The Code is 96.02(H), under Parks; Regulations; Uses Prohibited

Quote:
(H) No person shall discharge or display any firearms, air guns, shot guns, rifles, pistols, revolvers, air rifles, or BB guns. The use of slingshots, bows and arrows, except in a designated area, is prohibited. Hunting or trapping is prohibited.

I'll include discussion of this prohibition in my reply the City.

Now in 132.03 it states that

Quote:
The shooting or carrying of firearms, which are not encased or dismantled, is permitted under the following circumstances within the corporate or geographical limits of the city, unless prohibited by state or federal law

(B) By a person discharging any firearm when done in lawful defense of person, property, or family or the necessary enforcement of the law, which that person reasonably believes exposes himself, herself, or another in great bodily harm or death;
(H) The possession, transportation or carrying of handguns as specifically allowed by state law

So poor grammar not withstanding, that part is pretty good, except for the limitations of (H) to handguns.

Title 132 can be read in it's entirety in this PDF file.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.