Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 TCF Bank Stadium 
 Post subject: TCF Bank Stadium
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:07 pm 

Was walking out of the new TCF Bank Stadium today at the U following the Gophers thumping of the Boilermakers when off to the side I spied a sign stating that:

"The University of Minnesota bans guns and weapons from these premises".

The sign was Arial - maroon text on a gold background.

I didn't see it on the way in at all -- and besides, the U can't post this stadium, correct?

B

Post subject: Re: TCF Bank Stadium
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Legally, no, they can't enforce that. They will anyway.

If they catch you carrying, they'll likely eject you and ban you from coming again. Then, you get to decide whether to be the test case. The U has a legal department funded by your tax dollars.

How many lawyers do you have working for you?

Yes, it sucks, but that's the deal. Don't get "caught" ignoring the illegal sign, and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:21 am 

Another reason the state education system should not be running a sports program.

Help me understand how they continue to justify spending millions on sports programs as part of university eduction system. This is one of the issue we have with funding of schools, if they would stick to eduction and get out of entertainment and politics maybe, just maybe, they would not need to keep raising our taxes to pay for all their extra crap.

The U or for that matter the Twins, will never get a dollar from me for a ticket, heck through taxes alone I should be given season tickets(which I would gladly burn just to make the point).

The system is a joke, and until minimalist get back in control of our government it is only going to get worse.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Actually, the sports program pays for itself. The Bank was built with donated funds.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:42 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Actually, the sports program pays for itself. The Bank was built with donated funds.

Nope.

Quote:
Total construction costs for TCF Bank Stadium are $288.5 million, including site preparation and infrastructure improvements. The University is funding 52 percent of the cost with non-state dollars from a variety of sources, including private funds, parking revenues, student fees, and athletics department funds. The state of Minnesota will fund the remaining 48 percent of the cost, or $137.2 million.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:16 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:

Nope.

Quote:
Total construction costs for TCF Bank Stadium are $288.5 million, including site preparation and infrastructure improvements. The University is funding 52 percent of the cost with non-state dollars from a variety of sources, including private funds, parking revenues, student fees, and athletics department funds. The state of Minnesota will fund the remaining 48 percent of the cost, or $137.2 million.

***thread drift coming***

Ummm... lemme see if I get this right.

Based on the quotes from above.... 100% was paid by Minnesota taxpayers. :bang:

Now, you can say it came from this state entity or that state entity to "wash" the actual cost basis, but if it came from a state agency that is not for profit, then it was taxpayers dollars originally. Granted, the U of M has other means of income, but anything not covered from tuition and the like is covered by you and me. Every single year we cover the overages.

Therefore, we paid for it all. End of story.

Wait... that means we Hennepin county folks help build 2 stadiums this year.:shock: Fucking awesome! :bang:

MM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:04 pm 

Did a little research last night.

U of MN Regents Firearms Policy
http://www1.umn.edu/regents/policies/ad ... apons.html

Quote:
SECTION III. POSSESSION OR CARRYING OF WEAPONS

No person, whether a student, employee, or visitor, shall possess or carry a weapon while on University property, except as authorized in Section IV of this policy.

No exceptions in said policy for permit holders

In the same policy - Violations for visitors are:
Quote:
Subd. 3. Visitors. Violation of this policy by a visitor shall result in a request to leave the University property, function, or event, as the case may be, and also may result in a written directive to remain off University property.

Star Tribune comments on U of MN enjoying 'considerable autonomy from state law"
http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/17833874.html

Quote:
The bill would not affect the University of Minnesota, which enjoys considerable autonomy from state statutes under the Minnesota Constitution. The Board of Regents in 2003 banned weapons from all campuses and university-related events in reaction to the state law allowing adults to carry concealed guns.

Interesting -- what autonomy from state law are they talking about? I couldn't find anything in the state constitution around this topic.

B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:08 pm 

For some comparison - here is the approach taken by the State Colleges & Universities of Minnesota.

FAQ from MNSCU General Counsel's Office
http://www.ogc.mnscu.edu/otherlegaltopics/firearms.html

Quote:
3. POSTING. Why aren't MnSCU campuses posted?

The posting provisions of the MCPPA apply to private establishments; they do not apply to Minnesota State Colleges and Universities.

Board Policy 5.21 and campus policies address the restrictions on firearms that apply to Minnesota State Colleges and Universities.

4. GUNS ON CAMPUS. Are guns allowed on MnSCU campuses?

Generally, firearms are prohibited on MnSCU campuses under Board Policy 5.21, but certain exceptions apply, in accordance with the MCPPA.

With limited exceptions, Board Policy 5.21 prohibits employees from carrying a pistol or other firearm on or off campus, while they are acting in the scope and course of their employment, whether or not they have a permit to carry a pistol. This does not apply to parking areas or parking facilities. Employees who are on MnSCU property outside the scope and course of their employment are treated as visitors.

MnSCU college or university students generally are prohibited from having any firearm on any property (facilities and land) that belongs to the MnSCU system, including all MnSCU college and university campuses and the Office of the Chancellor. This prohibition does not apply to students when they are not on MnSCU property.

Certain exceptions apply for approved academic or other purposes, and for licensed peace officers who are students or who work for a MnSCU college or university in a public safety capacity.

The MCPPA does not restrict visitors from carrying a pistol on campus or other MnSCU property if they have a lawful permit to carry and are not violating other requirements of the law.

MNSCU Policy 5.21: Possession or Carry of Firearms
http://www.mnscu.edu/board/policy/521.html

Quote:
Subpart C. Visitors.

1. Prohibition. Visitors are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm while on System property, except as otherwise provided in this policy.
2. Licensed peace officers. This policy does not apply to visitors who are licensed peace officers under Minnesota Statutes section 626.84, subd.1(c) (see related documents below).

[...]

Part 4. Exceptions.

Subpart A. Parking areas. This policy does not prohibit the lawful possession or carry of firearms in a parking area or parking facility.

Subpart B. Authorized uses. This policy does not prohibit:

1. Lawful possession or carry related to an academic use or use at a campus shooting range, such as law enforcement programs, approved in writing by the college or university president; or
2. Transport of an unloaded firearm directly between a parking area or parking facility and the location authorized for its use, or transport of an unloaded firearm directly between a parking area or parking facility and a storage facility provided by the college or university.
3. Possession or carry of a pistol by a visitor who has a lawful permit to carry a pistol pursuant to Minnesota Statutes section 624.714, subd. 1a (see related documents below).

Nothing in this policy requires a college or university to provide storage facilities for employees' or students' weapons.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:31 am 

So no pat downs at the Stadium? I'm headed to the game tonight. Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.