Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:49 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 National Camera & West Photo both ban guns 
 Post subject: Re: New York City?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

fastrichard wrote:
I find it ironic that people are talking about ordering equipment from New York City, as an alternative to patronizing local stores that are anti-gun. New York City is one of the most anti-gun locations in the United States. I too would prefer to take my business to gun friendly retailers, but I can't imagine any store in New York City fitting that description.

New York City may very well be anti gun, but unless the place I purchase from (In this case B&H) has a sign out front banning guns, blaming the business in an area for the actions of their government doesn't make any sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

fastrichard wrote:
I find it ironic that people are talking about ordering equipment from New York City, as an alternative to patronizing local stores that are anti-gun. New York City is one of the most anti-gun locations in the United States. I too would prefer to take my business to gun friendly retailers, but I can't imagine any store in New York City fitting that description.

What makes you think that B&H Photo in Manhattan is anti gun? Do they have a sign banning guns at their retail shop? I've not seen a statement of this in their operating policy, so I don't know.
For all I know the owners are staunch pro gunners. Living or operating a business in NYC or Chicago, or D.C., etc... doesn't make the businesses or citizens anti gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

fastrichard wrote:

How would you know anything about the policy of any particular store in NYC? It's not like they post it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:48 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Quote:
...but I can't imagine any store in New York City fitting that description. [Pro-Gun]

He didn't say the business was anti-gun.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:31 am 
Longtime Regular

The message I got from that post was that any business operating in anti- gun NYC must by association be anti-gun itself.
If that wasn't the intent of the post, I don't get the point in making the statement in the first place.

Irony duly noted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:56 pm 

Brewman wrote:
The message I got from that post was that any business operating in anti- gun NYC must by association be anti-gun itself.

I think he was going for "may" or even "likely".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 am 

Brewman,

Of course, it is possible for business owners or other individuals to be gun friendly, even if they live in a place as hostile to guns as New York City. It is even possible that the owners of B&H Photo are as pro gun-rights as you or me. If they are, I would certainly consider that a point in their favor in choosing where to make future photographic and optics purchases.

If you have any information regarding this, I would appreciate the reference. I don't see the Operating Policy you refer to on their website. Where did you find it? I did find an extensive listing of Rifle Scopes. A fact which might indicate that they are at least not strongly anti-gun.

As far as I know, it would be illegal for you to walk into their Manhattan store carrying a concealed weapon, just as it is illegal to carry in a Minnesota store that posts the prescribed signs. If caught, the penalties in New York would probably be higher than in Minnesota.

As far a making assumptions about the residents of an area, based on the political climate of the location, I know you can't push that very far. But, where there are elections, the voters are accountable for the actions of their representatives. If there are bad laws, the voters can be assumed to have at least allowed those laws to be passed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:18 am 

fastrichard wrote:
...As far as I know, it would be illegal for you to walk into their Manhattan store carrying a concealed weapon, just as it is illegal to carry in a Minnesota store that posts the prescribed signs.

You do know it is not illegal to carry in a store that posts the prescribed signs in Minnesota?

Everyone- Consider the fact that a business being in New York City as it's own "posting". Sure it is more of a 50-80% that they are Anti-Gun.

It should probably be a rule that before business is done with a business in NYC or Chicago, one should ask that store's policy on guns.

I think I'm done with this thread, please let it die now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Shall I play taps? I think I have a bugle here somewhere.....

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:04 pm 
Delicate Flower

mo_the_mouse wrote:

let us know when you learn to play it :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
mo_the_mouse wrote:

let us know when you learn to play it :P

Cold....very cold.... :lol:

That is all....

Post subject: West photo and National Camera
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:10 pm 

Ok, Lets put the shoe on the other foot. They ban Guns, We don't spend money there. Now the other foot. I provide them a Service, and they pay ME. They Pickup and Deliver. I don't go there, But Take thier Money.

What should my Policy Be?

The sign posted Deep inside my office Reads "People Without Handguns Are Banned From These Premises".

Another Company Policy is "The Company Furnishes Deer Hunting Bullets and reloads at the Range".

De Ka0old

P.S. No, I'm Not Hiring At this time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:55 am 

1. If stupidity/ignorance wants to give you money, you shouldn't argue.
2. You, as a business man, should cater to as many customers as you can.

Anti-Gun business people want pro-gun money [but not their guns]. If pro-gunners say "no guns=no money", then those business owners should think long and hard.

If you as a pro-gun businessman, get a similar threat from a anti-gun person, you should think long and hard too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:12 pm 

Brewman wrote:
fastrichard wrote:

What makes you think that B&H Photo in Manhattan is anti gun? Do they have a sign banning guns at their retail shop? I've not seen a statement of this in their operating policy, so I don't know.
For all I know the owners are staunch pro gunners. Living or operating a business in NYC or Chicago, or D.C., etc... doesn't make the businesses or citizens anti gun.

If it matters, I was in B&H today and they have no sign banning firearms. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:09 pm 

So, to recap...there are some National Camera locations that are posted, some are not. Ritz Camera isn't. Someone else is.

I'm going to get a shiny new Olympus E-410 when they come out later this spring, as well as at least three lenses (probably the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses just because they're dirt cheap and not too bad, and the 11-22 wide zoom because sometimes 28mm equivalent isn't wide enough), plus spare batteries and storage. I'm figuring on dropping a couple of thousand by the time it's all said and done.

Who wants my money these days?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.