Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Excel Center 
 Post subject: Excel Center
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:42 pm 

Has anyone had any experience with the center ? My daughter wants me to take her to a concert there and I feel heavily compelled to carry. TIA :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:49 am 
Journeyman Member

Security will pat you down. If they find your piece, I'm sure they will ask you to leave. Not to mention probably try to detain you or get a uniformed officer involved. However, they usually don't feel between your legs or look in your shoes, they might check your ankles. So, good luck.

And since you are asking about concerts. Do you remember Dimebag Darrell Abbot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimebag_Darrell#Abbott.27s_murder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:29 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

A friend of mine had gone to the Excel for a Wild game. He had a OWB holster and security had him lift his jacket. They asked if he had a badge. He showed his permit and they said no.

This is one time I would like to try a CCW Badge just to see if security would read it or just let you in.

Depending on who is in the concert, the security may be tighter than the Wild game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
A friend of mine had gone to the Excel for a Wild game. He had a OWB holster and security had him lift his jacket. They asked if he had a badge. He showed his permit and they said no.

This is one time I would like to try a CCW Badge just to see if security would read it or just let you in.

Depending on who is in the concert, the security may be tighter than the Wild game.

It would be interesting in conjunction with law enforcement officers in a sanctioned manner. Kinda like a Sting. But that would be counter productive to conditions and etc for permit holders. without LE sanction, I think that flashing that badge could get you in a world of trouble if it went wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:57 am 

The thing was, the guy only asked for a Badge. He did not say "only police officers", did not ask if he was police. He just asked if my friend had a badge.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
The thing was, the guy only asked for a Badge. He did not say "only police officers", did not ask if he was police. He just asked if my friend had a badge.

This would've been just perfect:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

So what happened? Did they turn him away?

I've often thought if I was in that situation and I was refused entrance, I would ask if they had a safe in which I could lock the gun, because I wouldn't want to make them responsible for making me leave a gun in my car that could be stolen.

Or, ask them which they thought was safer, me and my permit keeping my gun concealed or me in the stadium and my gun in my (easily broken into) car.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:31 am 

Yea, he was turned away. He walked to his car (a few blocks away) and called me. I think he felt safer from the panhandlers if he was on the phone.

I had told him he should have tried another door.

During the winter, I used a breast pocket for my gun. Likely wouldn't have been found in this situation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Possibly a lower abdomen carry, such as a Thunderwear or Smart Carry, could work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

If you're ever stuck with an extra ticket, now you know how to get it refunded.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:48 am 
Journeyman Member

I've been into the X on a few occasions, all of them while carrying. The Kel-tec P11 got through in my pocket with keys clipped on the outside, and my wifes SP101 went inside my 8" work boots until I got to a bathroom stall and could get it back in the holster... That's what I call a "workin' man's ankle rig"! BTW- they foundthe holster on my belt and asked "What's this?" I replied "an EMPTY holster!" and they let me pass.

On another occasion, I got in with my full-size 1911 in my shoulder rig, but that was a little close for comfort.

Has anyone noticed that their postings are qualified "except authorized personnel"? I just assume myself to be authorized unless told otherwise- right?

Isn't there a good amount of public money in the X? Should it not be "unpostable" due to this? Maybe I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Two words! Smart Carry...

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:05 pm 

I know someone who has season tickets that he splits with another goalie. He never goes to a Wild game unarmed. He has carried a .38 snubbie (S&W J-frame) in a pocket without any problem or hassels because they check your beltline, not your pockets.

Then again, I don't look "tactical" either. I don't have flashlights or knives hanging out of pockets, and I don't wear "tactical" pants, usually just jeans and a Wild jersey.

FWIW, I usually go through a line with a female security guard just so I can tease my wife about some other woman feeling me up in front of her. Someday she's gonna laugh at that joke, but it hasn't happened yet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow, this is an old thread, but I figured it needed a bump/update.

I was at the Excel last week for a Wild game and we showed up a little late, very few people going in the gates with us. I left the gun at home (I was planning on a few beers.) The security guy gave me a pat just behind my left hip, 7-8 o'clock. Right where I normally carry! He didn't check my right hip or any where else. It was very odd, like he knew I was a lefty. The other guys I came in with said they didn't have any physical contact. (Maybe I looked extra rowdy wearing my Basil McRae jersey, I dunno...)

In all the games I've been to, I don't remember ever getting a pat down.

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carrying through pat-downs has become a game for me. So far, it's a game I have yet to lose. Usually, it's the P3AT in my custom-made pocket holster with built-in mag pouch from Schleif Leatherworks tucked halfway down the front of my pants. Some pat-downs are so painfully non-thorough that I'm convinced I could carry in a field-stripped AR if I really wanted to.

Security at the Nine Inch Nails concert at the Target Center last week was the tightest I've ever carried through. They were carefully feeling everyone's front pockets identifying the contents like cell phones and ChapStick item-by-item. They also asked to see all keychains. I went out for a smoke before the show started so I went through twice...no problem.

It makes me wonder what the point is. Does it make the sheep feel safe? To me, it's a pointless exercise.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.