Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My experience with Cheesecake Factory in Edina 
 Post subject: My experience with Cheesecake Factory in Edina
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:51 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

The Southdale thread reminded me of this. I was at the Cheesecake Factory recently, having lunch with my wife and a friend, carrying openly, as I usually do. We were seated and waiting for our appetizers when the manager walked up and asked if I was a cop. I replied no, to which he said (pleasantly), "You know that we are posted". I replied no, and he said "Let me show you, and walked with me to the bar area, which had a tiny sign FACING THE BAR. I informed him that there was no way in hell anyone walking into the place could see the sign, and tried to educate him to at least post properly if he was going to do it. He said that it wasn't his idea to post, and since some red diaper doper baby lawyer was at another table screaming about how he didn't have to put up with the likes of me, and generally making his life miserable, would I please secure my weapon in my car for this meal at least. I said sure, the guy was being really nice and it was obvious that the order to post came from corporate, and he wasn't happy about having to do it. When I came back from the car, he was very apologetic to me, and bought all of our desserts (I told him no need, but he insisted.) I guess the point of all of this is that the Cheesecake Factory is posted, but not legally, so if you're concealed no problem, if open you may get hassled (by other customers, not the management).

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just hand him a No Guns - No Money sign and walk out.

Or, we could all go in there openly carry because their sign is not lawful so it is not enforeable. Take up most of the place and if they complain we all hand them a No Gun - No Money sign and walk out! If you have not had your food yet, you don't pay!

This would get the point across! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tempting, but hardly likely to reach the hearts and minds of those we wish to convince.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:28 pm 

I think that would just piss off people that don't necessarily agree with banning the guns there. Sounds like it wasn't a decision of the local management.

If they were jerks, sure I'd walk out and leave 'em stuck with a half made meal that I never received and therefore wouldn't pay for. My wife knows somone who was shopping at a small grocery store that wasn't posted who was asked to leave when the people there noticed he was carrying a concealed gun. He just left the cart where it was and walked out - but was polite. They threw a fit and demanded he pay. He just politely responded that he'd be breaking the law to remain in the premesis with a gun and was not willing to do business with anyone that wouldn't let him carry. Not sure where this was though.

Edited since people like to spin things out of context....

Last edited by JCinMN on Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:31 pm 
The Man

JCinMN wrote:
It'd be better to find out who the jerk off lawyer was and make his life a living hell.
Nah. Life is too short, and making the life of somebody like that a living hell is probably redundant, and pretty much guaranteed to get you talked about.

This sort of thing is one of the reasons I advocate generally carrying discreetly; fewer free desserts, granted, but fewer hassles.

That said, my own take would have been, "hey, no problem -- if your company doesn't want my business, I can take it elsewhere; wish you'd posted the sign the way that the law requires, but, hey, that's your call.

"Why don't you let me know what your company charges for meals you don't let customers finish, and I'll just pay and leave."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:37 am 

In this particular situation, I'm not sure that I would have left. I agree that I wouldn't go back, and I'd let the manager know that I won't be back while the sign is posted, but I think I would just nicely ask for the store owners/corporate phone number and respectfully comply.

Assuming the guy was actually following corporate/owner direction, it doesn't sound like it would help to alienate him. Also, I really hate to interrupt a meal my wife has already started, she gets angry if I try to take food away from her.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject: Re: My experience with Cheesecake Factory in Edina
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:49 pm 
Journeyman Member

reaver3 wrote:
red diaper doper baby

SAVAGE!(SAVAGE)(SAVAGE)(SAVAGE)(SAVAGE)

I love the names he gives people:
Cigar-Store Indian
Scarface VanSustren
Hush Bimbo
Sean Vanity

I wish 1280 came in better in the evenings... I can usually only get him on the weekend replays

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:04 am 

Try the streaming audio at

http://www.am1280thepatriot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:49 pm 
Journeyman Member

AHhh, Indeed! Although, my neighbor's wireless internet doesn't work quite well enough for streaming audio... unless I'm in one of the bedrooms! I'll have my own ISP soon enough- then I can SAVAGE every night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:59 pm 

BigRedBowtie wrote:
my neighbor's wireless internet doesn't work quite well enough for streaming audio...

Talk about inconsiderate. Time for a new neighbor.

Post subject: Re: My experience with Cheesecake Factory in Edina
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think you did the "nice guy" thing.

Do you have any idea how many were in the "offended" person's party vs. yours? It might have been tempting to look at the manager and ask him who was going to pay more and tip better, and if it was your party ask the manager why he doesn't tell the OTHER GUY to get lost if he doesn't like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:31 am 

JCinMN wrote:
It'd be better to find out who the jerk off lawyer was and make his life a living hell.

You can afford to have a temper or you can afford to carry a gun. You CANNOT afford to have both at the same time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:30 am 

goalie wrote:
You can afford to have a temper or you can afford to carry a gun. You CANNOT afford to have both at the same time.

When did I ever say or even imply anything about losing my temper? Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm thinking more like tactics like the left use about protest, etc... Find out who he is and where his office is and get a bunch of friends together and protest in front of his office, picket or whatever.

If his office is in a community board you can post signs of protest there maybe...

If you find out his name, you can write editorials in the paper about lawyers abusing their position of preceived power (wealthy lawyer = better customer, etc...) to pressure on the place of business when you were within your rights.

of course IANAL myself and I don't know how much you can do before opening yourself to a lawsuit. However, I NEVER advocated losing one's temper and acting out in anger and actually take offense to being accused of it. You are twisting my words around.

The left have very effective methods of putting pressure on organizations and people and I'd like to use their own tactics on them.

BTW, armed or not, I don't think anyone (well, not many people anyway) can afford to lose their temper. Losing your temper can land you in a heap of trouble, just a lot more trouble if you are armed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Losing your temper can land you in a heap of trouble, just a lot more trouble if you are armed.

And a lot LOT more trouble if you're ticking off a lawyer! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:01 pm 

JCinMN wrote:
You are twisting my words around.

No, I just made an observation. The fact that you felt the need to type a multi-paragraph reply reflects only on yourself, not on me, especially since I never quoted you, nor referred to you.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.