Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 MN State Parks 
 Post subject: Re: 2ND draft
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:55 pm 

grayskys wrote:
durbin6 wrote:
We also believe the MN DNR is indeed a governmental official and they should not be allowed to setup procedures that vary from the statute just as MN state, County, and City officies with the exception of courthouses cannot post those buildings or properties.

Should it be Governmental Agency? and not Official

Done :!:

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

IANAL but I like it a lot. :)

Post subject: Legaleese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:10 pm 

Hope the Legaleese is ok. Not my strong point. :oops:

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:52 am 
Forum Moderator

[b]Dear Mr. Wiggins,

Specifically, the portion of MN 624.714 related to exclusivity which refers to the process of issuing permits to carry firearms and constrains governmental officials from setting up procedures that vary from those spelled out in the statute.

In addition,.......

We also believe the MN DNR is indeed a Governmental Agency and they should not be allowed to setup procedures that vary from the statute just as MN state, County, and City agencies with the exception of courthouses cannot post those buildings or properties.
-----

This is petty, but I don't like the term "set up" or its variations. In the first instance I might respectfully suggest replacing "setting up" with "establishing"; and in in the second, instead of "setup", use the term "promulgate".

That IS the lawyer in me :)

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:10 am 

phorvick wrote:
[b]Dear Mr. Wiggins,

Specifically, the portion of MN 624.714 related to exclusivity which refers to the process of issuing permits to carry firearms and constrains governmental officials from setting up procedures that vary from those spelled out in the statute.

In addition,.......

We also believe the MN DNR is indeed a Governmental Agency and they should not be allowed to setup procedures that vary from the statute just as MN state, County, and City agencies with the exception of courthouses cannot post those buildings or properties.
-----

This is petty, but I don't like the term "set up" or its variations. In the first instance I might respectfully suggest replacing "setting up" with "establishing"; and in in the second, instead of "setup", use the term "promulgate".

That IS the lawyer in me :)

Done :!: Isn't it great when you have a little project to work on that you know is gonna make somebody's day miserable eventually?

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:23 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Quote:
Subd. 1a. Permit required; penalty. A person, other
than a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision
1, who carries, holds, or possesses a pistol in a motor vehicle,
snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the
person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place,
as defined in section 624.7181, subdivision 1, paragraph (c),
without first having obtained a permit to carry the pistol is
guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person who is convicted a
second or subsequent time is guilty of a felony.

While the spirit of the BILL was to define the procedures to issue permits, the LAW the BILL changed is still in there and in effect.

Quote:
Subd. 23. Exclusivity. This section sets forth the
complete and exclusive criteria and procedures for the issuance
of permits to carry and establishes their nature and scope. No
sheriff, police chief, governmental unit, government official,
government employee
, or other person or body acting under color
of law or governmental authority may change, modify, or
supplement these criteria or procedures, or limit the exercise
of a permit to carry.

Here it is right here: Superceding powers. The DNR has been neutered right here. I think the DNR missed that last "OR", and thought it was maybe a "TO"?

They cannot make proceedures OR limit the exercise of carrying a pistol. Exercising a permit to carry means "To carry a pistol".

You know, if anyone will represent me for free, I will be the test case.

"It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal. You stole fizzy lifting drinks. ... so you get nothing. You lose. Good day sir."
-Willy Wonka

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Even if this letter gets us no where, it was still a lot of fun!

Post subject: Draft #3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:43 am 

Dear Mr. Wiggins,

We would like try to get an official ruling on the MN State Park Carry dilemma. Currently MN Rule 6100.0800 states that all guns carried in a State Park in MN must be unloaded and in a case. MN residents who posses a valid MN Permit to Carry a pistol should then be allowed to carry in State parks under MN Statute 624.714.

Specifically, the portion of MN 624.714 related to exclusivity which refers to the process of issuing permits to carry firearms and constrains governmental officials from establishing procedures that vary from those spelled out in the statute.

In addition, MN Rule 6100.0800 notates in Subpart 1 Restrictions, (A). that one exception to the rule is "by special permit from the comissioner" as stated below implies that our Carry Permit would qualify as a "special permit from the commissioner"

Subpart 1. Restrictions.

A. While in a state park, or while in or within 200
feet of a forest recreation area, except as provided in subpart
2 or by special permit from the commissioner, it is unlawful for
a person to:

(1) possess explosives or fireworks of any kind;

(2) possess a firearm, unless the firearm is
unloaded and completely contained in a gun case expressly made
for that purpose, which is fully enclosed by being zipped,
snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, or unless
unloaded and contained in the trunk of a car with the trunk door
closed;

MN Statute 624.714 also states the following in Subd.23, Exclusivity:

government employee, or other person or body acting under color
of a permit to carry.

The DNR is a govenrmental unit and by banning citizens that hold a valid MN Permit to Carry a Pistol from carrying a handgun in MN State Parks while possesing said permit they are "limiting the exercise of a permit to carry".

It is also the belief of myself and other interested parties that a Statute in MN supersedes a MN Rule, thus MN 624.714 supersedes MN Rule 6100.0800 and thus allow the carry of handguns in and about state parks by valid MN permit to carry holders.

We also believe the MN DNR is indeed a governmental agency and they can not be allowed to establish procedures that vary from the statute just as MN state, County, and City agencies with the exception of courthouses cannot post those buildings or properties.

Could you please try to clarify this issue and get back to me with your thoughts and how it should be handled. If you are unable to help with this could you please direct my request or contact me with the information of the person or agency that can help resolve this and give an official ruling, specifically an agency other than the DNR please.

Sincerely,

Jerry Durbin and interested parties of MPPA

Please add your comments and suggestions of what should be changed, ommited, or added.

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Last edited by durbin6 on Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:44 am 

Quote:
government employee
, or other person or body acting under color
of a permit to carry.

Here it is right here: Superceding powers. The DNR has been neutered right here. I think the DNR missed that last "OR", and thought it was maybe a "TO"?

They cannot make proceedures OR limit the exercise of carrying a pistol. Exercising a permit to carry means "To carry a pistol".

You know, if anyone will represent me for free, I will be the test case.

"It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal. You stole fizzy lifting drinks. ... so you get nothing. You lose. Good day sir."
-Willy Wonka[/quote]

Good catch Pak :!: Ammended in Draft #3

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

It should not be Governmental Agency but "governmental agency."

Anyway, Wiggins might be the right guy for an informal phone call, but I am pretty sure that he is NOT a guy who can give us "an offocial ruling."

That goes to the Attorney General's office.

Anyway, I think that the DNR is a place to start, with the following letter.

Quote:
Dear (senior DNR official),

Minnesota Rule 6100.0800 states that all guns carried in a State Park must be unloaded and in a case.

However, Minnesota Statute 624.714, which establishes the issuance of carry permits, reads, in part, as follows:

government employee, or other person or body acting under color
of a permit to carry.

Since this law clearly supercedes rule 6100.0800, we would appreciate a statement from the DNR acknowledging this exception and promising that no attempt will be made by its officials or employees to enforce the superceded rule against any carry permit holder.

A response to this letter within the next 30 days by registered mail would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

And if that yields no fruit -- or the wrong fruit -- send it to the Attorney General 30 days later.

I have a call in to the DNR legal analyst who wrote this. Hopefully, she'll be friendly and just agree to issue a statement.

Hey, it could happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:52 am 
Forum Moderator

I vote with Andrew. Typically you need to have a statement from the agency involved and then bring that to the higher authority. I would join in the suggestion that the letter start with the DNR and go from there.

Just be prepared again for the law of unintended consequences. I think it is fairly clear from a legal perspective that the DNR is just plain wrong. They may even admit it.

Next, the anti's will whine that "even our kids can't be safe in a State Park"...leading perhaps to an amendment to the law clearly stating that St. Parks are a no-carry zone.

As a practical matter this may be no different than a test case that ended up in our favor with the same whining etc.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:54 pm 
Delicate Flower

Based on Pakrat & Paul sounds like the DNR is the place to start. IMHO.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Go with it and see where it leads!

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Re: Draft #3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:42 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

durbin6 wrote:
The DNR is a govenrmental unit and by banning citizens

Typo
Quote:
We also believe the MN DNR is indeed a Governmental Agency and they should not be allowed to establish procedures that vary from the statute just as MN state, County, and City agencies with the exception of courthouses cannot post those buildings or properties.

Yea, lowercase "Governmental Agency".
"They should not be allowed", maybe this should be "You are not allowed"
Remove the courthouse posting reference.

By removing the courthouse posting reference, I believe the letter will appear firmer. We do want to be firm and not even show that there are exceptions to the rules. Also, technically I do not believe judges have the power to ban guns. But, they make the rules for their courtrooms. So, we have to abide.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Works for me
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:46 pm 

Try it and see where it gets us. I hate to be a pessimist but I wouldn't expect any cooperation from the DNR on this. My whole thought was to start at the lower level of the DPS or possibly the Commissioners office and work up to Hatch's office if necessary. As far as that goes why not attack the issue from both ends?

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.