Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 National forests in Minnesota? 
 Post subject: National forests in Minnesota?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Because my wife and I regularly visit the North Shore, and also wander through Superior National Forest at at times, I was wondering about firearms laws. I know that there's no problem in South Dakota (which we also visit) but that the US Forest Service there has threatened to ban guns if people keep shooting trees.

That's a dumb act, but the significance of it to me is that the USFS has, or claims to have, the right to ban guns.

With that in mind, I tried periodically for several years to get an answer about guns in the Superior NF by the simple device of stopping at various ranger stations and asking, and was basically given a run-around answer. Finally, a guy who appeared to be in authority said that they followed the same rules as Minnesota state parks -- which would mean no guns, of course.

Still, even though the guy seemed to be fairly high in whatever the food chain is up there, he really sounded like he was making it up on the fly, and that there actually was no such ruling written down.

Anybody know about this, definitively?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

National Parks ban guns but National Forests do not! I have a cabin in a National Forest and no issue with carring... :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:39 am 
Longtime Regular

I've posted this before. I live and work in the Superior National Forest. You have always been able to open carry and hunt. Now you can carry concealed. I do a lot of work with County and NFS law enforcement. (SAR, EMS) And the only issue ever to arise was the Sheriff didn't want searchers carrying handguns when under his direction. We lost enough volunteers that the policy has quietly shifted to a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

I'm am fairly certain that it is against the law to carry concealed in a federal building so I don't carry when I go into the ranger stations. I wonder though, would an outhouse in a national forest be considered a federal building? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:35 am 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
would an outhouse in a national forest be considered a federal building? :D

Headline: ATF raids federal hygiene facility to remove dangerous gunman.

:wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

[quote="gunflint"] You have always been able to open carry and hunt. Now you can carry concealed. I do a lot of work with County and NFS law enforcement.

Okay, good to hear. So I was right, the senior official was just making it up.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.