Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:32 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Hennepin County Library 
 Post subject: Hennepin County Library
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

As I have a 22 month old daughter, we frequent the HC Library in Brooklyn Center. They have a sign stating something to the effect that hazardous weapons are banned. I know that the sign itself is not legal, but this library is attached to a license servicing center and a district court. They have separate entrances, but a common hall way connects them.

So, can I carry at the library? License Center? Court? Where does the court "building" start, or doesn't it matter? As they are a government agency, I did not think they could post.

Joel's book did not address this issue with specifics that I could find.

Your thoughts?

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:00 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

Galaxie Avenue library in Apple Valley is the same setup, common hallway to the courthouse. I notified the sheriff via registered return receipt mail, so that there would be no question that I was in the right.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:13 am 
Longtime Regular

reaver3 wrote:
Galaxie Avenue library in Apple Valley is the same setup, common hallway to the courthouse. I notified the sheriff via registered return receipt mail, so that there would be no question that I was in the right.

You are not covered if there is a court order banning carry in the courthouse, and they consider the whole complex the courthouse.

It's not just, but it's true. Violating a court order can lead to a contempt of court citation -- and that can mean fines and jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:17 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

Oh, nertz. I knew that the Hennepin County Government Center had been placed off limits by Emperor Burke, but you mean to tell me that every courthouse in Henn is covered by that? Yeesh. Someone needs to challenge that forthwith. In Dakota our guy just made the actual courtrooms and the immediately adjacent hallways off limits to people having permits. I am about to notify Sheriff Gudmundson about Hastings, where I need to do some work in the law library (not near the courtrooms). Sorry for the misinfo, wow that blows me away that he did it for the entire system.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

The problem with challenging a court order is that you appeal to...the judge's colleagues. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, the sign says "dangerous weapons" are banned. My weapon, on the other hand, has a trigger guard, a manual safety, a grip safety, a firing pin safety, and is carried by someone trained and practiced in its use, who has undergone a government background check. The sign, clearly, cannot possibly apply to my weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:57 am 

Yes, I've mentioned before that the Edina library (hennepin Co.) has the same silly "no dangerous weapons" sign. Since there is a legal way to post for guns, and they can't be bothered (aren't allowed?) to post legally, I just ignore it.

Plus, yah my gun isn't dangerous either. I keep it under control at all times. On the other hand I've seen school kids with ballpoint pens that could easilly be thrust through someones eye!

Not all hennepin county librarys are posted this way. So I'm guessing those that are, are the result of local staffers who got their panties in a bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

bab wrote:
Yes, I've mentioned before that the Edina library (hennepin Co.) has the same silly "no dangerous weapons" sign. Since there is a legal way to post for guns, and they can't be bothered (aren't allowed?) to post legally, I just ignore it.

Government agencies aren't allowed, generally.

But again, Hennepin County courts (and there's a court in the same building in Edina) are under a court order prohibiting guns.

If you get caught, count on some unpleasantness, including a contempt of court citation, a fine, and possibly some time in a cell to think about the wisdom of flouting a judge's orders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

For clairification, to whom do we direct an inquiry? The county sheriff? The library in BC has a court attached to it as well. What is our recourse? Anyone?

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
and there's a court in the same building in Edina

Not really, no.

True the library and the courthouse share a common wall, but there's no public access of one from the other.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Meta-reply
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

jdege wrote:
Quote:
and there's a court in the same building in Edina

Not really, no.

True the library and the courthouse share a common wall, but there's no public access of one from the other.

Doesn't that fall under the rubric of "Don't be a test case"?

Pat Cannon wrote:
Yeah, the sign says "dangerous weapons" are banned. My weapon, on the other hand, has a trigger guard, a manual safety, a grip safety, a firing pin safety, and is carried by someone trained and practiced in its use, who has undergone a government background check. The sign, clearly, cannot possibly apply to my weapon.

Isn't that the same weapon that, when asked if its carry was "dangerous", a Texas Ranger replied "I wouldn't carry the summabitch if it wasn't dangerous!"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:08 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
[But again, Hennepin County courts (and there's a court in the same building in Edina) are under a court order prohibiting guns.

Actually you're wrong. There isn't a court in the Edina library, which is off Vernon Ave., near Highway 100. There is a court next door to the Southdale Library (70th & York). The Hennepin County Library, Southdale branch, is located in Edina, but it isn't the "Edina Library".

Southdale's next door court building isn't accessible via the library. You have to leave the library, go outdoors, cross a road, then enter a seperate door for the court. I'm not sure if either the Southdale Library or the Court in the neighboring building are posted in any way. I'll try and check that out soon and post details here. While I'm at it I think I'll see if the court building and Library have separate addresses.

Also, the "Dangerous weapons" signs are just pointless. All joking aside, just what is the definition of "dangerous weapon"? Pen knife? Box cutter? Taser? Cricket bat? As far as I can tell there isn't a definition, so everyone has to make up their own on the spot. It would be analogous to 55 MPH speed limit signs being taken down and replaced with "Don't go Fast" signs. Ok, so what the hell is fast? By specifying "dangerous" weapons, instead of just "weapons", they raise even more questions. I've qualified for a permit, my gun is in perfect working order, and safely holstered on my person. So it isn't dangerous. They imply that weapons are allowed, just not dangerous ones, so ...

Wouldn't judges/government entities who wish to prohibit carrying in court houses just use the legal sign that specifies "guns". Why would they be intentionally ambiguous?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

bab wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
[But again, Hennepin County courts (and there's a court in the same building in Edina) are under a court order prohibiting guns.

Actually you're wrong. There isn't a court in the Edina library, which is off Vernon Ave., near Highway 100. There is a court next door to the Southdale Library (70th & York).

Whooops. The one on York is the one I was thinking of. Sounds like a purely illegal sign, then. Time to whip out Durbin's letter template. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:09 am 

What is "Durbins template" ?

Post subject: Re: Meta-reply
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:

Isn't that the same weapon that, when asked if its carry was "dangerous", a Texas Ranger replied "I wouldn't carry the summabitch if it wasn't dangerous!"?

The same <i>type</i> of weapon, but probably not the same weapon. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.