Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Hennepin County Library 
 Post subject: I'm a worrier
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:40 am 
Journeyman Member

and sure hope that i am wrong in thinking that when enough people have been shaken up by the display of weapons in places that when it comes time for me to renew my permit it will be more difficult or even not possible. though an area be posted wrongly isnt it yet provocative to display a weapon? suddenly showing a snake to someone who fears reptiles isnt likely to alleviate their frears, it will just scare them. isnt it possible/likely that needlessly displaying a weapon will bring up and reinforce fears that may be expressed at the ballot box? I try to keep my own weapon accessable without letting it be a source of consternation to people who may find it objectionable.

Post subject: Re: I'm a worrier
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:45 am 
Forum Moderator

thoward wrote:
and sure hope that i am wrong in thinking that when enough people have been shaken up by the display of weapons in places that when it comes time for me to renew my permit it will be more difficult or even not possible. though an area be posted wrongly isnt it yet provocative to display a weapon? suddenly showing a snake to someone who fears reptiles isnt likely to alleviate their frears, it will just scare them. isnt it possible/likely that needlessly displaying a weapon will bring up and reinforce fears that may be expressed at the ballot box? I try to keep my own weapon accessable without letting it be a source of consternation to people who may find it objectionable.
I don't disagree with the main sentiment ...that being that at times the Law of Unintended Consequences can rear its ugly head.

However, in this particular type of improper posting, where the legislature had expressly provided for legal carry by a Permit Holder in public buildings, then the goverment authorities should not be allowed to take with their right hand what the left hand giveth.

I do agree that having arguments as to the legitimacy of a red lettered sign, or one in the wrong font etc., is more likely to have unwelcome consequences. ...But, as to the local authorities snubbing their nose at a statute that is clear and unambiguous, well..to me that is a line worth drawing in the sand. YMMV.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Hmmm....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:53 pm 
The Man

...given that the LiveJournal entry connecting to this thread just got linked to by Minnesota Democrats Exposed things might heat up just a little.

I'd very much like for some MSM type to ask Amy Klobuchar whether the deliberate wilfull violation of the law by her office was something that she was ignorant of, or had directed.

Not holding my breath, of course, but . . .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Great thread! Image

While still waiting for the signs to come down, I suggest you engage in my favorite HC library activity: carry concealed and go check out a copy of American Rifleman or any book on defensive handgun use. Be sure to use a librarian to check it out, not the automated machine.

I love the look on their faces when you hand them something like this:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

There must be lots of books that would elicit the same response:

No Second place winner
TOO CLOSE FOR COMPLANCEY

or, of course, the classic
Everything You Need to Know About (Legally) Carrying a Handgun in Minnesota.

If they don't have any of these or similar books, we should start a campaign of visiting that library and asking for them.

The conversations with the librarian would make an interesting thread!

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've often wondered why some HC Libraries stock American Rifleman and some don't. Been thinking about giving a gift subscription to "Guns and Ammo" to my local branch.

Every once in a while I run across a copy of this in the browsing bins and check it out ASAP:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:55 pm 
Journeyman Member

Check out Oleg Volk's take on the Henn County Library situation at:

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/74888.html

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:00 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

Just thought I'd let you guys know where I'm at and what decisions I've made.

Well, after a lot of discussion and agonizing over many issues, I have unfortunately decided not to file a lawsuit at this time. There are a lot of reasons behind my decision, but the largest is that my wife is at a critical point in her career now, and she is very worried about negative publicity arising from this. In a perfect world, I would not have to worry about this, but as we all know, life is not perfect. I hope I am not letting anyone down, but I have to do what is best for my family.

The good news is that with no lawsuit to queer, you guys can go nuts open carrying at the Hennepin libraries to your heart's content. I'll even join you. Maybe we can get the signs down that way.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: update
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:59 am 
Journeyman Member

reaver3 wrote:
Just thought I'd let you guys know where I'm at and what decisions I've made.

Well, after a lot of discussion and agonizing over many issues, I have unfortunately decided not to file a lawsuit at this time. There are a lot of reasons behind my decision, but the largest is that my wife is at a critical point in her career now, and she is very worried about negative publicity arising from this. In a perfect world, I would not have to worry about this, but as we all know, life is not perfect. I hope I am not letting anyone down, but I have to do what is best for my family.

The good news is that with no lawsuit to queer, you guys can go nuts open carrying at the Hennepin libraries to your heart's content. I'll even join you. Maybe we can get the signs down that way.

Reaver, You need to do what is right for you and your family. That has to come first. You have already 'Taken one for the team'. I can only speak for myself in saying that I think you have done all Minnesota carry permit holders a great service and I thank you for your efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

+1000 to what Wingrider said. Thanks again reaver.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Yep, Wingrider said pretty much exactly what I was thinking, too.

Thanks, Reaver!

Post subject: hold everything
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:37 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Okay, everyone, I may have been a little premature.

After emailing with David, my wife has had a change of heart. We are now going to go forward with our claim. Sorry for the premature message, but I thought "our" minds were made up :? .

Unfortunately, another circumstance may have also influenced my wife's switch of position. Her parents live in a gated community in Reno, Nevada. The other day, their neighbors, a very nice older couple, were found shot to death in their home. There are no leads and no suspects, and her parents are quite upset over this. http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4696880
Looks like a burglary gone bad. My wife is now seeing the importance of self-protection.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:00 pm 

Reaver, can you tell what your claim will be for? Wrongful trespass? Infringement of civil rights? Psychological trauma? Wrongful disarmament? All of the above?
Quote:
We are now going to go forward with our claim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:24 pm 
The Man

I'm glad you're going forward with this; I'm sorry about the reason for your wife's change of mind.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:20 pm 

Wow, thats....just.... wow :(

Sorry to hear of the violent catalyst to your decision, but it is some consolation that you are going ahead with the issue. Hopefully some good can come out of this, i.e. furthering of the cause of self protection.

You and Mr. Gross should have my numbers. Feel free to contact me about details of my library involvement if it helps your case.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.