Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Northwestrn (Christian/Private) College??? 
 Post subject: Northwestrn (Christian/Private) College???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:06 pm 

Here is a link, and near bottom of page, it says:

http://www.nwc.edu/security/

Weapons Possession and Fireworks
Northwestern College is committed to providing a safe and secure learning, living, and working environment for all community members on all campus properties. The use, possession, and storage of all firearms, dangerous weapons, explosives, or other dangerous articles are prohibited on all properties owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by Northwestern College. Law enforcement officers duly authorized to carry such instruments are exempt.

I am not sure if there are signs there, does anyone know if they post? I have been invited to attend an event there. I love how they say they need everyones cooperation to abide by their rules for safety (as if bad people will abide), and then in another paragraph, it says this:

It is the philosophy of the campus safety service department that we would much rather prevent crimes from occurring than react to them after the fact. A primary vehicle for accomplishing this goal is safety awareness and crime prevention. This is based on the duel concepts of eliminating or minimizing criminal opportunities whenever possible and encouraging community members and guests to be responsible for their own safety and security and the safety and security of others.

(bold for emphasis)

Any thoughts?

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

what he said.

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
be responsible for their own safety and security

According to them your safety is YOUR responsbility

Post subject: Re: Northwestrn (Christian/Private) College???
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Red XIII wrote:
This is based on the duel concepts

Well, if your gonna' have a duel, you need at least two guns. (Dual, maybe?) :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:41 am 

"It is the philosophy of the campus safety service department that we would much rather prevent crimes from occurring than react to them after the fact. A primary vehicle for accomplishing this goal is safety awareness and crime prevention. This is based on the duel concepts of eliminating or minimizing criminal opportunities whenever possible and encouraging community members and guests to be responsible for their own safety and security and the safety and security of others."

A more literal translation would be:

Our campus "Safety" Officers (notice they don't call them security guards anymore) are armed with nothing more than Mini-Mag Lights and a stern visage(unless they are incapable of said visage (Acceptable visages include: Pained, Panicked, Confused, Strained, and Dull and Lifeless Acceptance). We are not going to be liable if one of them is injured attempting to perform anything dangerous, confrontational, or not specifically outlined in the employee guidebook. We have instructed all officers to contact the Safety office in the event of an emergency. A supervisor will be contacted and if they believe the event to be of sufficient concern to warrant a response beyond issuing a notice of trespass they will instruct the safety office to contact law enforcement. We realize this may seem like an overly complicated and time consuming policy but our legal counsel has assured us that the university cannot be held liable as long as we contact the police. Our safety officers (who will be officially titled "Comfort Advisors" after the start of the next school year) have been trained to help any individual who may need directions, contact phone numbers, or advice on parking during snow emergencies. To this end, they are equipped with the latest technology including : Up to date campus maps, current university office phone listings, digital radio units, and new adverse weather defeating multi-environment portable precipitation protection units.

Any questions not answered by our Director of Safety and Fluffy Kitten Admiration's FAQ: You Can't Blame Me...They Won't Pay for Qualified People or Effective Training and They're Talking About Replacing Us All With Satellite Surveillance, Should be directed to NotGonnaAnswer@<youruniversity>.edu.

Disclaimer: I am not a security professional or a lawyer. I only get to listen to them complain while they're drinking my coffee.

A private university is private property and posting means that they have to ask you to leave just like any other business. They probably feel that posting is going to cause some visitors and potential students to question their safety (If they have to put up the signs, they must have had a problem.) and gain them nothing in return.

Most of the university weapon policies I've seen are geared more toward vendors and staff. You don't want people who are charged with the day-to-day operation of something like a college carrying guns. Try to remember most university administration's take on the issues is that educators aren't interested in carrying guns (Paging Professor Olsen. Professor Olsen to the firing line )

Alternatively, I may just be too cynical for my own good.

Post subject: Re: Northwestrn (Christian/Private) College???
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:01 am 
Delicate Flower

DeanC wrote:
Red XIII wrote:
This is based on the duel concepts

Well, if your gonna' have a duel, you need at least two guns. (Dual, maybe?) :oops:

you are correct Dean

duel=settling a difference with guns etc
dual= two ...like the truck had dual wheels

You would think an institute of higher learning would get it correct :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:04 am 
The Man

I like the idea; I think the implementation sounds, err, problematic.

It isn't like it's a new idea -- see the Peelian Principles, particularly the most important one:

The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:33 pm 

As a religious organization I wonder how the church ruling might get folded into all this.

That said, it sounds like the usual boilerplate drivel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mike wrote:
As a religious organization I wonder how the church ruling might get folded into all this.

That said, it sounds like the usual boilerplate drivel.

I disagree with you on this Mike.

Quote:
encouraging community members and guests to be responsible for their own safety and security and the safety and security of others.

Show me a public higher learning institute (read liberal indoctrination fascility) whose student handbook says "you're responsible for your own safety/security and others"

You wont find it, its against the "sheeple" philosophy being force fed by leftist faculty................IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

fascility .............. at least they know how to spell... :wink:

or...is that the British version.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:08 pm 
Delicate Flower

Quote:
and encouraging community members and guests to be responsible for their own safety and security and the safety and security of others."

Sure as hell says "carry" to me :o

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:54 pm 

I have carryed many times in NWC and no one even look at me any different. However, since I'm was an offduty LEO i didn't care if anyone saw me. My wife didn't like it that I was carrying kinda open since she went to school there. One more thing... I am a LEO (but not a cop) and I want people to be trained and take action if they need to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:25 pm 

Since you brought it up: Define "LEO but not a cop", please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:57 pm 

Mike wrote:
Since you brought it up: Define "LEO but not a cop", please.

I'm Federal LEO...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.