Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 MWCA gunshows bans guns 
 Post subject: MWCA gunshows bans guns
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:52 pm 

MWCA gunshows, Now theres one for you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:19 am 

It does?????????? :shock:

What are we going to do about it??? :evil:

Post subject: Carry at gun shows
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:11 pm 

Lets face it. Loaded guns at gun shows can lead to mistakes. Guns on display at gun shows are often dry fired. The presence of a loaded gun can lead to a mistake. Mistakes that none of us want. When a gun is discharged at a gun show, the anti's jump all over it. Remember what happened in St. Paul.

Fundamentally, I agree with a thought behind the MWCA postings. It is not a legal posting per Minnesota law. It is a safety reminder. I do think it could be worded better.

Personally, I carry at gun shows CONCEALED and NEVER show my weapon. It absolutely stays holstered and covered at all times. If I need a magazine or other accessory for my weapon, I carry it in UNLOADED.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Carry at gun shows
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Cordell wrote:
Lets face it. Loaded guns at gun shows can lead to mistakes. Guns on display at gun shows are often dry fired. The presence of a loaded gun can lead to a mistake. Mistakes that none of us want. When a gun is discharged at a gun show, the anti's jump all over it. Remember what happened in St. Paul.

Fundamentally, I agree with a thought behind the MWCA postings. It is not a legal posting per Minnesota law. It is a safety reminder. I do think it could be worded better.

Personally, I carry at gun shows CONCEALED and NEVER show my weapon. It absolutely stays holstered and covered at all times. If I need a magazine or other accessory for my weapon, I carry it in UNLOADED.

I understand and mostly agree with their rationale, but I would like to see them have a protocol that would allow for CCWs to be "certified unloaded" at the entry, although I also think that may be harder to do than to advocate.

After the last show in December, I'm kind of done going to them anyway. Just about anything available there seems available on the internet or locally at more competitive prices anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:24 pm 

I've always said if you demand that permit holdlers disarm before entering any premises, you need to have a SAFE space for them to do so. If MWCA is serious about safety, they should install a clearing barrel at their shows. Every show I have been to there have been people unloading guns in the lobby area. Now that's unsafe.

Last edited by Erik_Pakieser on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:40 pm 
1911 tainted

Cordell wrote:
Lets face it. Loaded guns at gun shows can lead to mistakes. Guns on display at gun shows are often dry fired. The presence of a loaded gun can lead to a mistake.

This statement doesn't hold water. If you truly believe this, than I hope that you don't practice any dry fire technique, or any technique for that matter, except at an approved range. I mean, you might have ammunition, or worse yet, a loaded weapon someplace in your house. :roll:

I carry at the gun shows, all the gun shows unless they are properly posted, or at least make an attempt to properly post, then I don't go. And no, I did not go to the last Weapons Collectors in the Twin Cities and I didn't got to the Rochester show, I believe it was posted. When I do go to a gun show carrying, I do not fondle, play with, show it off, or practice weapon presentation, I carry it and it's loaded. :shock:

Sorry if I stepped on someone toes, but that is the way it is. 8)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:36 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
Cordell wrote:
Lets face it. Loaded guns at gun shows can lead to mistakes. Guns on display at gun shows are often dry fired. The presence of a loaded gun can lead to a mistake.

This statement doesn't hold water. If you truly believe this, than I hope that you don't practice any dry fire technique, or any technique for that matter, except at an approved range. I mean, you might have ammunition, or worse yet, a loaded weapon someplace in your house. :roll:

I carry at the gun shows, all the gun shows unless they are properly posted, or at least make an attempt to properly post, then I don't go. And no, I did not go to the last Weapons Collectors in the Twin Cities and I didn't got to the Rochester show, I believe it was posted. When I do go to a gun show carrying, I do not fondle, play with, show it off, or practice weapon presentation, I carry it and it's loaded. :shock:

Sorry if I stepped on someone toes, but that is the way it is. 8)

I agree, and I have been not going to gun shows since I got my permit over this very issue. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:29 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I didn't see any signs at the rivercentre, but, I wasn't looking. :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:44 pm 
Journeyman Member

Cordell wrote:
Lets face it. Loaded guns at gun shows can lead to mistakes. Guns on display at gun shows are often dry fired.

I know others have commented already, but I feel I have to also. Why would you hold a weapon and dry fire it without checking it first? Why would you set down your carry piece right next to another that looks similar enough to be confused for the unloaded one???

Shouldn't being trained (even informally) in firearms safety negate the issue of "mistakes"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:51 am 
Longtime Regular

should negate

me, hunting since 9years old, trained, qualified by anybody's standards, able to build firearms from de-milled parts, safety +, PA CCW, ect.

My father, shot in the Coast Guard, shot alot growwing up, shot a bit with me.

Other folks? shot sometime. Maybe.

Is there a need for above average gun safety at shows?

If everybody was me or you, probaably not.

Fact is the majority that come through the gates are less gun "safe" than my father even. . . and that requires a little extra precaution . . . even if that means asking you to be extra, extra safe +

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
should negate

me, hunting since 9years old, trained, qualified by anybody's standards, able to build firearms from de-milled parts, safety +, PA CCW, ect.

My father, shot in the Coast Guard, shot alot growwing up, shot a bit with me.

Other folks? shot sometime. Maybe.

Is there a need for above average gun safety at shows?

If everybody was me or you, probaably not.

Fact is the majority that come through the gates are less gun "safe" than my father even. . . and that requires a little extra precaution . . . even if that means asking you to be extra, extra safe +

If the people carrying are that unsafe, should they even be carrying anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:31 pm 
On time out

I sent this to the MWCA:
"In reading your blurb on your website I come to the conclusion that you are not willing to allow LEGAL AND PERMITTED carry at your shows. I truly hope this is a mistake, as it gives creedence to the ANTI's that we can not be trusted. If this is truly the case then I will not be attending anymore of your shows and I will be expressing my feelings to those who I know both attend and display at your shows.

This is a ridiculous statement about your trust in your constituency and feel this can not be your intent."

signed

and received this back in return.

(they misspelled my name in the response)

"Make no mistake about it. We never have and never will allow loaded firearms at our shows. Nor does the NRA.

Gail Foster"

I have no idea about the NRA but I have carried throughout the SHOT show without any hassle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmm. In my best "soup nazi" voice:

No gun show for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:57 am 
Longtime Regular

The NRA doesn't allow guns at their gun shows? Cam Edwards (NRA News) was talking about carrying at their annual convention if Wisconsin CCW law was in efffect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:36 am 
First-time poster

The more loaded weapons confined to such an area means more of a chance for accidents to happen. Imagine somebody's gun falling to the floor and going off? The chances of this happening are quite slim, but have more of a chance of happening if they allowed carry. Keep in mind that everybody at the show is "gun friendly" and either has a carry permit or wants a carry permit.

If that isn't enough for you, consider this:

In my carry class, I had an interesting gentleman taking the course as well. He was a strapping (no pun intended) young lad, about 22 or so, and played the "thug" role VERY well. When it came to the shooting test, he pulls out a Glock 9... either a 17 or 19, don't know for sure. Under the glock was the glock 31 round mag. Now I hate to stereotype, but this picture couldn't get any clearer. The only thing he forgot to do was aim the gun sideways. So anyways he failed the shooting test because "the gun was too heavy". Gee, wonder why. This particular individual had already taken the course, and failed for the same reason, with the same gun, with the same mag. He then took the shooting course over again with a borrowed revolver and passed. He now has a carry permit, with his glock, and his 31 rd. mag. Would you like to mingle with this guy at a gun show? Besides the fact you'd probably be safe because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside, I'd still be worried.

I actually use to work at the MWCA shows, as my father used to be a dealer. I really couldn't imagine a safer environment as at their shows, and never thought of a need to carry there. My $.02.

Permit to Carry in MN & NH

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.