Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:32 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 MWCA gunshows bans guns 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:56 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

grayskys wrote:
The NRA doesn't allow guns at their gun shows? Cam Edwards (NRA News) was talking about carrying at their annual convention if Wisconsin CCW law was in efffect.

Even the NRA guy doesn't know he can open carry in WI?

Someone email him and start an NRA sponsored open carry rally.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:02 am 
1911 tainted

intensert wrote:
The more loaded weapons confined to such an area means more of a chance for accidents to happen. Imagine somebody's gun falling to the floor and going off? The chances of this happening are quite slim, but have more of a chance of happening if they allowed carry. Keep in mind that everybody at the show is "gun friendly" and either has a carry permit or wants a carry permit.

If that isn't enough for you, consider this:

In my carry class, I had an interesting gentleman taking the course as well. He was a strapping (no pun intended) young lad, about 22 or so, and played the "thug" role VERY well. When it came to the shooting test, he pulls out a Glock 9... either a 17 or 19, don't know for sure. Under the glock was the glock 31 round mag. Now I hate to stereotype, but this picture couldn't get any clearer. The only thing he forgot to do was aim the gun sideways. So anyways he failed the shooting test because "the gun was too heavy". Gee, wonder why. This particular individual had already taken the course, and failed for the same reason, with the same gun, with the same mag. He then took the shooting course over again with a borrowed revolver and passed. He now has a carry permit, with his glock, and his 31 rd. mag. Would you like to mingle with this guy at a gun show? Besides the fact you'd probably be safe because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside, I'd still be worried.

Yes, and if we banned guns totally, none of these problems would exist and everybody would be safer. :roll:

This says it all,
Quote:
The more loaded weapons confined to such an area means more of a chance for accidents to happen.

:?

Last edited by cobb on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:11 am 
Forum Moderator

intensert wrote:
The more loaded weapons confined to such an area means more of a chance for accidents to happen. Imagine somebody's gun falling to the floor and going off? The chances of this happening are quite slim, but have more of a chance of happening if they allowed carry. Keep in mind that everybody at the show is "gun friendly" and either has a carry permit or wants a carry permit.

How many handguns will "go off" if dropped? I think that's a bit of a red herring; I don't know of anyone carrying a gun that will fire from inertia (although I'm waiting for the followup from the guy who carries a Colt SAA with the hammer on a live round).

I can buy into the notion that they want a "controlled" environment where ammunition and firearms are kept seperate. You can't have an AD without a loaded gun, and I don't doubt that there are plenty of morons like you describe.

Quote:
I actually use to work at the MWCA shows, as my father used to be a dealer. I really couldn't imagine a safer environment as at their shows, and never thought of a need to carry there. My $.02.

For me the issue is carrying TO and FROM the show. What do I do when I get there? Leave my gun in the car? I'm perfectly fine with my gun being unloaded while I'm there, I'm just not fine with the idea that I have to leave my gun behind because MWCA doesn't provide any process for me to unload and certify my carry gun as "safe" before entering, or for reloading when I leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:53 am 
Longtime Regular

I think the problem with loaded guns at gun shows isn't that they're being carried.. it's that they're being taken out of their holsters.

No matter how many signs you put up, and beyond all common sense, people at gun shops and gun shows just love to pull out their loaded guns.

To test holsters, to compare next to another gun, to show to their friends, or just to draw attention to the fact that they have a carry permit... whatever. They quite literally have a hard time keeping it in their pants :shock:

And that's a problem, because a small minority of these people have poor muzzle control skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:05 pm 
Journeyman Member

mobocracy wrote:

For me the issue is carrying TO and FROM the show. What do I do when I get there? Leave my gun in the car? I'm perfectly fine with my gun being unloaded while I'm there, I'm just not fine with the idea that I have to leave my gun behind because MWCA doesn't provide any process for me to unload and certify my carry gun as "safe" before entering, or for reloading when I leave.

When I get to the show, in a safe location, I pull the mag out of the gun, clear the chamber, and put the mag in my weak-side pocket. The gun goes back in its holster and stays there - and I'm not carrying a loaded weapon. They can check at the door, if they want. No one has ever asked me to do so.

I think that complies with both the intent of "No Loaded Weapons" at the show, and of my personal need to carry in that part of town, and in the parking facility.

Does anyone see a problem with that approach?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
I think the problem with loaded guns at gun shows isn't that they're being carried.. it's that they're being taken out of their holsters.

No matter how many signs you put up, and beyond all common sense, people at gun shops and gun shows just love to pull out their loaded guns.

To test holsters, to compare next to another gun, to show to their friends, or just to draw attention to the fact that they have a carry permit... whatever. They quite literally have a hard time keeping it in their pants :shock:

And that's a problem, because a small minority of these people have poor muzzle control skills.

When I carry my firearm it stays in the holster period, unless I am at home, at a range or I need to use it to defend others or myself. I can’t even see the reason to take my Glock 17 out at a gun show; it looks like just about every other Glock 17.

I have said it before and I will say it again, if you are not responsible enough to carry at a gun show you are not responsible enough to even own a gun IMHO. Because if you can’t not play with the firearm there, what happens when you go to a range, or a friend stops by the house?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
grayskys wrote:
The NRA doesn't allow guns at their gun shows? Cam Edwards (NRA News) was talking about carrying at their annual convention if Wisconsin CCW law was in efffect.

Even the NRA guy doesn't know he can open carry in WI?

Someone email him and start an NRA sponsored open carry rally.

I have read that the cops harass open carriers and will even arrest them for disorderly conduct and the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:43 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

grayskys wrote:
I have read that the cops harass open carriers and will even arrest them for disorderly conduct and the like.

I have read the same things. I'd like to see them try that with someone from the NRA.

The thing with WI is, open carry isn't just "legal because it's not illegal". It is guaranteed by their constitution.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.