Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 2005 Downtown 
 Post subject: 2005 Downtown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:10 am 

The Downtown Journal (formerly Skyway News) has their 2005 round-up issue out this week. One of the items was new downtown businesses for 2005. Of the nineteen they had listed I was able to contact all but two of them (what kind of retail business isn't on the web or in the phone book?!). Of the seventeen I could contact, none of them were posted, though Tonic, the night club, did have a dress code prohibiting guns.

The MPPA's passing upset a lot of people and spurred a few businesses to post either out of fear or to curry favor, but clearly, now that the issue is no longer in the public consciousness we're not likely to see much new posting. This seems to be one we'll win through attrition and atrophy as businesses turn over naturally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:58 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm just a country bumpkin from up north so I'm not familiar with the sophisticated ways of the city. Could someone explain to me what a dress code that prohibits firearms is? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:45 am 
Longtime Regular

If the "dress code" does not ban guns per the law then they cannot really stop you. They might as well ban a certian makes of guns, "We ban guns that do not match the color of your shoes."

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:18 am 
1911 tainted

Maybe it is their way of trying to discourage open carry?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Given that many of the downtown nightclubs are full of jackasses full of booze, testosterone and maybe a little coke, something tells me that "no guns" suits that lifestyle.

Not to mention the regular shooting galleries that some of the places that cater to the hip-hop crowd become.

Of course if you're not part of this "lifestyle", then carrying downtown IS probably a good idea.

Post subject: dress code bans guns
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:29 am 

Well, at some of the places on that block enforce the "no weapons" clauses in their dress oodes with a pat down and a metal detector. Their impropper signage makes entering with a gun not a crime, but you won't get in with one, so it's not an issue. That's not the only element of their dress code that keeps me from entering such places.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.