Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 U of M 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:42 pm 
1911 tainted

Lawyer_in_Training wrote:

Also dated about one year prior to passage of the original new permit to carry law in Minnesota.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:26 pm 

I didn't say it was legal. I said it was their policy. UPD was very adamant today that anyone on campus with a gun would be treated as a threat. The last time I checked July, 2003 came AFTER May 28, 2003 when the original bill was passed. The 2005 legislation was largely a reenactment of the 2003 bill. Either way, the U's policy is to ban guns.

Remember that the U likes to consider itself above state law when convenient thanks to Art. XIII sec. 3 of the MN Constitution and the fact that it was here before MN became a state.

Quote:
The bill [HF 4198] would not affect the University of Minnesota, which enjoys considerable autonomy from state statutes under the Minnesota Constitution. The Board of Regents in 2003 banned weapons from all campuses and university-related events in reaction to the state law allowing adults to carry concealed guns.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8461

Feel free to be a test case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:46 pm 

Ok, I'm getting confused now. Is it, or isn't it legal to carry on U of M property. Assuming I'm not a student or part of the staff at the U of M, do they actually have any legal recourse? How does the fact that the U of M was in existence before the state of Minnesota make any difference?

Of course test cases are for other people, but what would there be any chance of this generous person losing the lawsuit?

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
Wise Elder

Remember that the U likes to consider itself above state law when convenient thanks to Art. XIII sec. 3 of the MN Constitution and the fact that it was here before MN became a state.

The one thing the U of M cannot do by virtue of Art. XIII, sec. 3, alone is create CRIMES.

Only the state Legislature can do that (or authorize political subdivisions to do so, i.e., city misdemeanors). The Legislature has never delegated any crime creation authority to the U of M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:42 pm 

kimberman wrote:
The one thing the U of M cannot do by virtue of Art. XIII, sec. 3, alone is create CRIMES.

Only the state Legislature can do that (or authorize political subdivisions to do so, i.e., city misdemeanors). The Legislature has never delegated any crime creation authority to the U of M.

True.

BUT, Minn. Stat. 137.12 lets the U create its own police force that has the power to arrest.
Quote:
The regents of the University of Minnesota are hereby authorized to appoint, employ and fix the compensation to be paid ..., persons as peace officers who shall have and may exercise throughout the state of Minnesota the same powers of arrest possessed by a sheriff, police officer, or peace officer, but said powers of arrest shall only be exercised in connection with investigations authorized to be made by the regents of the University of Minnesota, which investigations shall relate to university personnel or property.

Based on my interaction with them today, they're going to treat anyone they find carrying on campus as a criminal. Granted, the risks for visitors are relatively low, but you should know that the U is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Based on my interaction with them today, they're going to treat anyone they find carrying on campus as a criminal. Granted, the risks for visitors are relatively low, but you should know that the U is different.

You specifically talked to them about this? What was said in that conversation? edit: and who did you talk to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:23 pm 

someone1980 wrote:

You specifically talked to them about this? What was said in that conversation? edit: and who did you talk to?

Sorry for "mixing" threads.

Representatives from the University Department of Emergency Management and the University Police Department (a uniformed officer) gave a talk on what to do in the case of an "active shooter" on campus. They weren't pleased with my questions on individuals carrying. I had to show up late, so I didn't catch the introductions/names.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8434

To answer your question specifically:

Yes, I specifically brought up the issue of "visitors" carrying on campus. (Students risk expulsion and I've spent too much $ in tuition to risk it.)

Their position was VERY clear that the policy the U adopted was to ban EVERYONE from carrying on campus. Yes, even "visitors." Now, this is of course one officers word on the topic, he could be wrong, but it's probably the attitude you'd face if you're found carrying at the U.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Got it. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

I go to the U relatively often (sister-in-law attends). Any of our friendly neighborhood attorneys want to take on the case if they arrest me for carrying? :lol:

I'd sue the hell out of their asses.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:36 pm 
Journeyman Member

Well don't I feel like a fool.

Couple years ago I took these pics

Last night it was perfect out and I had the day off from work, so I hopped on my motorcycle with my camera gear and headed back to the parking ramp where I had taken the above.

I parked next door, got halfway up the parking ramp stairwell when I saw a UofM sign and it hit me. "Wait, this is UofM property? oh ****" and I quickly exited and got back onto the streets, but couldn't find a better place to shoot from and missed out on the perfect cloudless twilight :(

I had never researched carrying on college campus since my friends and I are all out of college, and I've been reading too much about campus gun bans and it didn't hit me till this thread that they can't do more than ask me to leave.

So to help anyone else out who may make the same mistake as I, not all Minnesota run schools are a carry no-no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 am 
Raving Moderate

Nice pics!

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
Nice pics!

+1
Those are great!

Any chance of sharing high-res versions?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.