Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I am interviewing for a job and I see this as I go in... 
 Post subject: I am interviewing for a job and I see this as I go in...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:09 am 

If I get hired I'll have to have a chat with the management team for the building. It is a professional building in Plymouth.

Post subject: Re: I am interviewing for a job and I see this as I go in...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:53 am 
Longtime Regular

simian12 wrote:

If I get hired I'll have to have a chat with the management team for the building. It is a professional building in Plymouth.

Don't even waste your breath. They (building owner) can't post only the tenants can post so ignore it. :twisted:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:08 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm coming around to Kimberman's way of thinking.
Let sleeping dogs lie

I've "educated" one business and that only because I consider the owner a friend. Turns out her sign was non-compliant for a reason. She KNEW that she had to ask a person to leave and didn't think it would be an issue. Turns out there was a new customer in her place open carrying promiscuously who got rude when asked to cover it or take it elsewhere.

There was a strong hint she had a permit herself. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:18 am 

I'd worry more about my employment agreement than I would a sign on the door.

Being asked to leave a building is nothing compared to termination with cause.

Unfortunately, most corporations are adding/have added language prohibiting carry while on the job or in a company vehicle.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Not a good idea to cause waves if you are a new hire. Respect their wishes and life goes on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:41 am 
Longtime Regular

I believe it was Joel who said: "You cannot unring that bell".

Once anyone knows your permit status or stance on this, it's no longer private and that kind of news tends to travel the most unlikely of connections. Building Mgmt, maint, a contact at your new employer, your boss, then you have your HR dept reminding you in writing of their policy and suddenly a surprise spot check could be a big deal. Far fetched? perhaps ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:01 am 

JimC wrote:
Not a good idea to cause waves if you are a new hire. Respect their wishes and life goes on

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

+1
JimC wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:45 pm 

Thanks all I appreciate your advice, but if I decide to proceed with contacting the management office I will do so at my own descretion. I am not worried about my job being in jeopardy over a chat with the management office about this issue. If that were to truely happen I would know that this is a company I wouldn't want to have a career with. This is only one of about 4 companies I am thinking about working for, so I have other options. As far as the talk with them, I would be finding out who makes decisions like this for the company, and if not a local decision then who at a national or regional level to talk to. Then bring to their attention the Landlord provisions set forth under the MCPPA. They can do with the information what they want.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

simian12 wrote:
Then bring to their attention the Landlord provisions set forth under the MCPPA. They can do with the information what they want.
Mike

Don't enlighten them to the fact that the signs mean jack shit.

They'll go to the legislature and try to get the law changed to give the signs weight.

In other words, carry past them will become a crime, and you'll make a whole lot of MN PTC holders p.o'ed from flapping your lips trying to educate the uneducated. If you want to do something tell the land lord that you feel like a sitting duck and ask them to yank the signs, BUT DON'T TELL THEM THAT THE SIGNS DON'T MEAN CRAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:23 am 

mnglocker wrote:
simian12 wrote:
Then bring to their attention the Landlord provisions set forth under the MCPPA. They can do with the information what they want.
Mike

They'll go to the legislature and try to get the law changed to give the signs weight.

In other words, carry past them will become a crime, and you'll make a whole lot of MN PTC holders p.o'ed from flapping your lips trying to educate the uneducated. If you want to do something tell the land lord that you feel like a sitting duck and ask them to yank the signs, BUT DON'T TELL THEM THAT THE SIGNS DON'T MEAN CRAP.

Mnglocker,
Your thinking on this is pretty naive. Also pretty confrontational. I don't want to get into an arguement over this, but you are jumping to a lot of conclusions, and making a lot of assumptions. I know and understand the MCPPA very well. The end result of my talking with someone from the management company will be either they take action and remove the signs, or leave things as they are. Either way this activism on my part will hurt no one. You imply in your post that if I talk to them, then the law will get changed, and I will be in trouble with the carry community. I don't think you give the members of this forum or the rest of the people in this state who carry enough credit. You have them sounding like an angry mob. The thinking of most of the carry folks I know is more free thinking and individual and not given to a mob mentality. If you want to further debate this, maybe we should do it in person where people tend to choose their words with more care.
Be safe,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

simian12 wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
simian12 wrote:
Mike

Mnglocker,
Your thinking on this is pretty naive.

That's not naive. Confrontational, sure.

The logic is, if enough business owners figure out those signs don't mean anything, they will get the legislature to make the signs mean something. It's a fight we don't need.

OTOH, a 'no guns/no money' card works wonders, if it's delivered enough. That's telling them they are wrong, and only offering the solution of removing the signs.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

There's a difference between discussing this issue with a small building owner or tenant with who you have already established rapport, and ambushing, say, the management of Mall of America with an open carry demonstration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
There's a difference between discussing this issue with a small building owner or tenant with who you have already established rapport, and ambushing, say, the management of Mall of America with an open carry demonstration.

Yep. And the difference is more than just the level of fun.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject: Challenging establishments who "post"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:20 am 

We all want to avoid creating situations that lead to someone going to the legislature - this is a Pandora's box we do NOT want opened. So let's consider what we are trying to accomplish. If our goal is to provoke a confrontation (seldom a good idea) or lecture someone on "the law" (a useless exercise in most cases), there isn't much for me to say. But if we simply want to reduce the number of signs and thus decrease the number of "victim zones" (a worthy goal), we can look at each case, then act accordingly.

If we are potential customers of a retail store/restaurant, then a phone call (NEVER in person - you risk a "man with a gun" call to 911. And not from your own phone - caller ID, you know) to tell the proprietor that we (always "we" - numbers matter) were about to enter their store but noticed they had "one of those silly no-gun signs, and as long as that sign remains up, neither I nor any of my family and friends will be patronizing your store (restaurant, whatever). Just thought you'd like to know." The "no guns - no money" approach. I've done this numerous times and within days, the signs were gone, from a variety of businesses, many of them owned by big corporate entities. I know others have reported similar results.

If I were interviewing for a job located in a place that posts, I would consider that even if the building doesn't post, almost every company has a policy in their employee handbook prohibiting guns for their staff, so the building policy may be moot. If your prospective employer does NOT prohibit your from carrying (very unlikely) but the building does, then you'll just have to decide whether the job is worth it, but I would NEVER confront the management - it is likely a useless exercise, and could cost you your job, especially as a new (and therefore, probationary) employee.

As for "persuading" anti-gun people to see the light? Texans have a great saying:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing - it only wastes your time, and annoys the pig."

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.