Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Carry on Federal Property: reminiscing... 
 Post subject: Carry on Federal Property: reminiscing...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:05 am 
Longtime Regular

After reading the thread about carrying at the VA Hospital in the cities and seeing the restrictions on carry on federal property under federal law I started to think about the Army Reserve center I was assinged to over 10 years ago.

I was among a group of four or five others that would sleep at the reserve center over night on drill weekends due to the impracticality of driving an hour and a half one way to get to drills.

Anyway, a few of the guys in the unit would bring in some of their guns and after the the drill when we were on our own they would break out the guns and get some target practice in. That was the first place I got a chance to fire the Steyr-AUG and a couple other fun guns.

The XO came in one night and fired a few rounds, the platoon Sgt knew about it, the only one in the dark was the first Sergeant.

Anyway, since the firearms we were shooting were personal firearms, not issued and not using issued ammo, would the simple act of bringing the guns into the reserve center be a felony? Does it (the reserve center) count as federal property?

Now I wonder.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:57 pm 

More than likely an Amry Reserve center would be Federal property. A National Guard Armory would be State Property.

That being said, my NG unit did that on a pretty regular basis until our unit deployed. Everything from a (legal?) AK-47 to a Shotgun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:54 pm 

I looked up my reserve center on one of the county property maps and it shows that the land is in fact owned by the fedreal government and it's County Land Use Code is "FEDERAL PROPERTY"

I looked up a National Guard center and its property is owned by the county.

http://maps.metro-inet.us/RamseyCoGIS/CXviewer.htm#
http://gis.co.hennepin.mn.us/HCPropertyMap/default.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 am 
Longtime Regular

welcome back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:52 pm 

Thanks... It's good to be home

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.