Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Northtown Village Apartments 
 Post subject: Northtown Village Apartments
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:35 pm 

They are refusing to renew my lease on my apartment because I dared to carry my firearm from my vehicle to my apartment. They are having the lease agreement looked over by legal counsel to see if there is any way they can ban gun ownership by tenants.

She said when she found out I had a firearm in the corridor she about "lost it". I told her I am legally permitted to carry, concealed or not concealed, and that I was going from my auto to my apartment via the corridor. She said "I DON'T CARE, I DON'T WANT GUNS ON THE PROPERTY" Stuck in all that was a "THERE ARE CHILDREN ON THE PREMISES!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sheesh

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like a civil rights violation to me.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Northtown Village Apartments
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:52 pm 

Lady Glock wrote:
They are refusing to renew my lease on my apartment because I dared to carry my firearm from my vehicle to my apartment. They are having the lease agreement looked over by legal counsel to see if there is any way they can ban gun ownership by tenants.

She said when she found out I had a firearm in the corridor she about "lost it". I told her I am legally permitted to carry, concealed or not concealed, and that I was going from my auto to my apartment via the corridor. She said "I DON'T CARE, I DON'T WANT GUNS ON THE PROPERTY" Stuck in all that was a "THERE ARE CHILDREN ON THE PREMISES!!"

smells of someones arse getting slammed in a legal door.... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

but... but... but... what about equal housing laws??? Don't those apply to gun owners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Regardless of how this hashes out legally, I'm sure it will be a PITA for you. I'm sorry to hear about it.

Good luck and God Bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:47 pm 

bensdad wrote:
Regardless of how this hashes out legally, I'm sure it will be a PITA for you. I'm sorry to hear about it.

Good luck and God Bless.
Major PITA as I was in an auto accident recently and may be facing surgery on my shoulder. 3 months to earn enough to pay rent and deposit on a new place. Plus finding a new place. What a mess! Trying to find out what kind of referral this place is going to give me...whether or not I'll be able to find somewhere to rent :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:50 pm 

Lady Glock wrote:
They are refusing to renew my lease on my apartment because I dared to carry my firearm from my vehicle to my apartment. They are having the lease agreement looked over by legal counsel to see if there is any way they can ban gun ownership by tenants."

Lady Glock,

I am not a lawyer,nor do I play one on TV - however I did use the Google and found a number of posts on different boards discussing how Minnesota has laws that prevents apartment or Condo owners from banning guns on the property. Sorry I didn't have the time to track down the actual law but this should be a good start and possibly worth your hundred bucks talking to an attorney. DIGG.COM had a number of links to follow on the subject.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:02 pm 

ronin069 wrote:

Lady Glock,

I am not a lawyer,nor do I play one on TV - however I did use the Google and found a number of posts on different boards discussing how Minnesota has laws that prevents apartment or Condo owners from banning guns on the property. Sorry I didn't have the time to track down the actual law but this should be a good start and possibly worth your hundred bucks talking to an attorney. DIGG.COM had a number of links to follow on the subject.

Good luck!

Problem is, they aren't evicting me...they just aren't going to renew my lease. The manager is going to try to find something in the lease that gives her the ability to evict me, but there is nothing there for her...and I already told her she couldn't keep me from owning or carrying a gun on the premises. She wont be able to kick me out prior to the expiration of my lease, but she won't give me a new lease either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 pm 

You might want to show your landlord MN 624.714 Subd. 17(e)

Quote:
(e) A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=624.714

Whatever you do make sure it's in writing so you have a paper trail.

Good luck.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.