Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 4-H Shooting Sports & Wildlife Invitational - Sept 12 & 13 
 Post subject: 4-H Shooting Sports & Wildlife Invitational - Sept 12 & 13
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Anyone here planning on attending the state shoot for 4-H shooting sports this weekend? My son is scheduled for 3-position air rifle at 1pm Saturday. He's also entered in the silhouette shoot and I understand there will also be a bike-athalon (ride your bike, shoot, ride your bike, shoot, etc) that he'll be doing.

He's been practicing a lot lately and I hate to say it (but proud at the same time) but his prone groups are tighter than mine. He's consistently getting 8 or better with a flyer every 5 or 6 shots. Now if I could just get him to practice kneeling and off hand with the same intensity.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 4-H Shooting Sports & Wildlife Invitational - Sept 12 & 13
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:30 am 

Hi, I will be there on Sat. out at the trap range. Kanabec County Conservation Club is hosting the trap events. I am a member there and was asked to volunteer, so I will be loading the trap machines, etc. Good luck to your son. "Bike-athalon", that sounds like a lot of fun, I wish they had that when I was a kid.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 4-H Shooting Sports & Wildlife Invitational - Sept 12 & 13
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Well it's over and it was quite an event. My son was disappointed in his score but still placed 13th out of about 100 in his age group. His 5 sighters were grouped dead center and could fit under a nickel, but soon after his rear sight became loose and he had a tough time after that. He never blamed his equipment for his score though, and I was proud of him for how well he did, though I was kicking myself for not buying him his own rifle, rather than let him use the club rifle.

Sunday was a lot of fun with the silhouette shoot and the bike-athalon. In the bike-athalon, you get on a bike and race for 200 yards, then shoot 5 shots at 5 silhouettes, bike 200 yards, 5 shots, and another 200 yards back to the finish line. Every miss adds 15 seconds to your score. My son tried that twice and shot 8/10 on his first attempt, then 9/10 on the second attempt. We left before we heard the results. I tried it once and only shot 4/10.

It was a great time and we look forward to going again next year. We're also thinking about joining the Junior CMP club so he has more opportunity to shoot competitively.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.