Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Anyone interested in another steel shoot 

What day would be best to shoot?
June 9th, start early  7%  7%  [ 2 ]
June 23rd and start at lunchtime  53%  53%  [ 16 ]
I can make either day  40%  40%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 30

Anyone interested in another steel shoot 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm trying to get the wife to commit to a "date" 8) She needs to practice with her new sig 239 and what better opportunity!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:49 pm 
On time out

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
I'm trying to get the wife to commit to a "date" 8) She needs to practice with her new sig 239 and what better opportunity!

Mostly-

OI believe the range has been reserved for the 23rd so she has a date now ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Can someone post directions for us "first timers"? I know where Hutchinson is but not familar with a range there.

Is there a minimum age standard? I'm looking for opportunities to get my 10 year old to shoot something other then paper - although it doesn't matter to him - shooting is shooting - matters not what you are shooting at. My CLOSE supervision is understood.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:29 am 
Delicate Flower

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Can someone post directions for us "first timers"? I know where Hutchinson is but not familar with a range there.

Is there a minimum age standard? I'm looking for opportunities to get my 10 year old to shoot something other then paper - although it doesn't matter to him - shooting is shooting - matters not what you are shooting at. My CLOSE supervision is understood.

Mostly-

P1 of this thread: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:51 pm 

I'm in on the 23rd...probably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm definitely interested in attending. If you're able to do something for first-timers that would be great. I don't know what I'm getting into, except it sounds like a lot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:48 am 
Longtime Regular

My thoughts on inexperienced competitors run along two directions.

1. If you have no wish to use the holster, you can start at the Cooper ready, (gunhand forearm parallel to the ground muzzle level and pointing at the backstop, non gun hand relaxed at the side).
2. We can meet for about half an hour before we start and I’ll teach how to SAFELY deal with a holster and have some unloaded practice before we get started.

I think that should solve any problems that should arise, with the exception of if you don’t take the little safety class or you don’t hold a competitive classification (or a POST qualification), you shoot from the Cooper ready.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:41 am 
Delicate Flower

Selurcspi wrote:

1. If you have no wish to use the holster, you can start at the Cooper ready, (gunhand forearm parallel to the ground muzzle level and pointing at the backstop, non gun hand relaxed at the side).
2. We can meet for about half an hour before we start and I’ll teach how to SAFELY deal with a holster and have some unloaded practice before we get started.

I think that should solve any problems that should arise, with the exception of if you don’t take the little safety class or you don’t hold a competitive classification (or a POST qualification), you shoot from the Cooper ready.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:

So seeing as there are several instructor here, Yourself, Myself, PHorvick, Jerry45, DonL to name a few,

Unless we do your holster class, IDPA or are POST certified, we will have to shoot Cooper?

Not sitting easy with someone who is a firearms instructor, in the guard and an MP. :( :( :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:10 pm 
1911 tainted

farmerj wrote:

So seeing as there are several instructor here, Yourself, Myself, PHorvick, Jerry45, DonL to name a few,

Unless we do your holster class, IDPA or are POST certified, we will have to shoot Cooper?

Not sitting easy with someone who is a firearms instructor, in the guard and an MP. :( :( :(

So don't set easy and stay away. I am sorry, but I have seen too many, so called professionals that scare me to death on the range when it comes to handling a firearm. A range SO has a job to do and that involves making the shooting range safe, no matter if you are Paris Hilton, a LEO, or a self proclaimed expert.

I have a lot of paperwork and experience that follows me, but I never feel offended when there is a safety question asked of me, thank you for asking.

I have a lot more that I would like to point out, such as how I am better, more qualified, my experience and training, which would belittle many here. But if a SO wanted to verify my handling of a firearm, I would be happy to demonstrate and not be offended...................................

His job is to make the range safe, if you are offended because of your self proclaimed expertise, make us all safe and go home..

farmerj, I am not trying to attacking you personally, but there are many out there that feel that they are above the safety question, please reconsider your thoughts. A SO needs to make the range safe for all, the beginner and experienced shooter that he has never met, he has to follow some basic safety rules.

farmerj, I hope to meet you all in Hutchinson and if I get into the area early enough, I would like meet up with you and buy breakfast ( warning - my wife will be with).

But please think about my response as if you are the range safety officer.

:idea:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Cobb,

Please don't be so quick to judge.

You asked for people to assist you last winter or to sit in on your classes in Mankato. I offered, you never responded.

I have offered to have instructors come and sit in my classes. No one has contacted me.

Most here see me as "half cocked". Few here know who I even am or my background.

Do I feel above safety. Not just no, but Hell no. I even state so to my students. Any instructor is probably going to be the first to make a safety violation and I ask my students to please stop me if they feel I am.

I simply stated a point of view. It happens to be mine. Now some here know why I won't come to the M&G in the cities.

I have offered to have them in the rural areas and no one but 2 showed interest. Can't say it's because of distance, because Gopher range is further out.

As you simply stated, if I am a "self proclaimed expert", I should be comfortable showing I can safely handle a firearm. So should someone who is IDPA, POST or otherwise.

If you do one, you should do all. Regardless of background. A point I guess I wasn't clear on.

If I don't respond until Monday, it is because I am out of town for guards this weekend.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:36 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Selurcspi wrote:

I would not automatically asume that anyone with POST certification would be any safer than anyone else.

This is a good idea....

I will not do holster work around ANYONE that I dont trust - PERIOD. Benny's rnage - Benny's rules - safe is fun.

Why do you think that I am always at the far left of the line when I go to front sight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:49 am 
1911 tainted

farmerj wrote:
Please don't be so quick to judge.

Guess I missed what I was judging. Just needed to point out that no matter who you are, a range safety officer has a job to do.
farmerj wrote:
You asked for people to assist you last winter or to sit in on your classes in Mankato. I offered, you never responded.

Sorry about not responding, but I got a couple offers and took one person up on it and he has since helped me on 2 other occasions. If you would like to come and sit in on my class, please do so. My schedule is on my website and I add classes monthly but would like to know in advance if you plan on attending, just like my students, a pre registration.
farmerj wrote:
As you simply stated, if I am a "self proclaimed expert", I should be comfortable showing I can safely handle a firearm. So should someone who is IDPA, POST or otherwise.

I poorly worded that and did not mean to direct it specifically at you, I meant all. I agree, everyone, IDPA shooter, USPSA shooter, POST/LEO, everyone should be held to the same standard when it comes to safety, no exceptions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Guys, let's not get worked up about this.

What I need to keep the range safe is a demonstration that we can handle the safety requirements of using a holster. IPSC, IDPA and POST qualifications are all about as reliable as the shooters that hold them. In short they vary in quality, depending on the instructor that originally taught, the practice the individual has put in since then and the frame of reference used to define SAFETY. I’ve seen many highly rated IPSC shooters perform some very unsafe acts on the range and neophytes show great composure and remain safe in some disturbing falls and weird situations. That said if you don’t have a piece of paper to show you have qualified to use a holster, you can demonstrate that ability on the day. The mini class will be directed at the newbie, and I will show what I expect in regards to what is safe. If you can perform the basics of holster work without problem, that’s fine, if you need help in some areas, I want to make sure you get it while the gun is UNLOADED and a mistake will not cost any of us more than a red face. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I’m not trying to be a control freak, I just want us all to be safe and have fun and maybe to learn something from each other, I’m always willing to listen and discuss the pros and cons of any technique.

I hope this clarifies my position.

Thanks
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:59 am 
1911 tainted

Selurcspi wrote:
I’m not trying to be a control freak

Never thought that at all.

Selurcspi wrote:
I just want us all to be safe and have fun and maybe to learn something from each other

That I did think.
8)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.