Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Steel Shoot at Hutch on 6/23 

Will you be coming to the shoot!
Poll ended at Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:20 am
Yes, Definitely  41%  41%  [ 9 ]
Yes, and I'll be bringing others.  5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Maybe  27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Can't make it!  27%  27%  [ 6 ]
I'll be coming and I want to organize a Barbeque.  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Steel Shoot at Hutch on 6/23 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
Wonder how many could shoot and qualify the Original US Air Marshall course?

What is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

someone1980 wrote:
farmerj wrote:

What is that?
The actual course of fire is not all that terribly difficult. What makes it problematic to complete is the time you are given to complete a stage. Essentially the time requires a person to be very good and very fast. The good part I got, the time I did not. FarmerJ passed.

(Semi-hijack).....it is one of the numerous courses of fire that the Farmer and I administer to the participants of our "defensive shooting class"...FBI, Air Marshall, LA County Sheriff etc etc. :)

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

phorvick wrote:
someone1980 wrote:
farmerj wrote:

What is that?
The actual course of fire is not all that terribly difficult. What makes it problematic to complete is the time you are given to complete a stage. Essentially the time requires a person to be very good and very fast. The good part I got, the time I did not. FarmerJ passed.

(Semi-hijack).....it is one of the numerous courses of fire that the Farmer and I administer to the participants of our "defensive shooting class"...FBI, Air Marshall, LA County Sheriff etc etc. :)

Is that it?

http://www.thegunzone.com/fam-lawman/fam-qual.html

Individual Drill Starting Position Time Allowed Total Rounds
One Round (twice). Concealed from Holster 1.65 seconds
(3.30 total) 2
Double Tap (twice) Low Ready 1.35 seconds
(2.70 total) 4
Rhythm; fire 6 rounds at one target; no more than 0.6 second between each shot. Low Ready 3.00 seconds 6
One Shot, speed reload, one shot (twice). Low Ready 3.25 seconds
(6.50 total) 4
One Round each at two targets three yards apart (twice) Low Ready 1.65 seconds
(3.30 total) 4
180° pivot. One round each at three targets (twice). Turn left, then right. Concealed from Holster 3.50 seconds
(7.00 total) 6
One Round, slide locks back; drop to one knee; reload; fire one round. (twice) Low Ready 4.00 seconds
(8.00 total) 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes..more or less.. it is not quite as simple as "concealed from holster, 1.65 seconds"...but close enough.

In the original the air marshall candidate must identify the target (and they don't know where it is), draw, fire and hit in 1.65 seconds..twice, for a cumulative total of 3.3 seconds. It is very difficult to be sitting, start the drill, find the target, draw and fire in 1.65 seconds.

to simulate this the best we can (as our airplane mock up is not yet finished!) we would start the candidate facing away from the target. We will be using a target from letargets that has dscretionary shapes and colors; we would randomly call out a number and then when you turn around you must find that shape/number on the target, etc. A lot tougher than it sounds (or maybe it does sound hard!)

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

I know how hard finding the numbers/shapes/colors. I had problems just finding what to shoot in that amount of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

someone1980 wrote:
I know how hard finding the numbers/shapes/colors. I had problems just finding what to shoot in that amount of time.
And, that was the problem with the original FAM qualification...time. Many experienced FBI, DEA, LE types did not meet the time standards. So, as all good governement bureaucrats do, rather then continue to find "the best of the best"...those that could do this, they lowered the standards :( so that more could pass. If you can pass the original, you are, in a word, "The Man!" (ok, or "The Woman!")

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:20 am 

farmerj wrote:

Several years ago they set it up at the WI IDPA state championship as a side match. As I recall, not many shooters actually passed. Less than 20?
I passed on my second try. It's not easy, to say the least.

*edit* Edited to add that it was not the original course, as described in the above posts, that they ran at the WI match. It was some sort of watered down version. Still plenty tough, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:46 pm 

Sounds like a lot of fun, if we can make it in time and find a babysitter we'll be in. 8) (I'll vote a little later)

What are all the details?

What time? when does it start when does it end?

Where exactly is this place? ( http://www.gophercampfire.com/ ??? )

How much?

What we should bring?

Is 3pm going to be too late to show up, I work at best we'll not get there until 3pm.

At this point we have 2 guns a XD in 9mm (3 mags) and 642 in .38 special I assume this ok enough to shoot with? 300 rounds of 9mm box or two of .38's (probably won't shoot that a whole lot of 38's) I gotta stop and buy some ammo eitherway is that going to be enough for the wife an I? A cooler with some pop and water, maybe some small snacks. Real food, American food :lol:

Baby is 6 months, bringing her just wouldn't be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:17 am 
Longtime Regular

MNXD9 wrote:
Sounds like a lot of fun, if we can make it in time and find a babysitter we'll be in. 8) (I'll vote a little later)

What are all the details?

Start at 12pm finish when we're done, last time 5:30 or so and then we all “played with toys” Safely of course.

Quote:

What time? when does it start when does it end?

Where exactly is this place? ( http://www.gophercampfire.com/ ??? )

From East or West, the easy directions are take highway 7 to Hutchinson, turn north on McLeod cty rd 7 and go north until you see the 3' tall gopher and turn right. There are other ways you can go, but you can read a map as well as I can, and if a shooter can't find a range, you shouldn't own a gun.

http://tinyurl.com/2mleqn

Quote:

How much?

$10 unless you would like to buy a $30 membership and then it would be $30 + $5

Quote:

What we should bring?

Guns, ammo (minimum 96 if you don’t miss :) :) ) , Hearing protection, Eye protection, munchies and drinks to suit your taste

Quote:

Is 3pm going to be too late to show up, I work at best we'll not get there until 3pm.

I think we can get you caught up if you arrive by 3pm, but try to be earlier if you can.

Quote:

At this point we have 2 guns a XD in 9mm (3 mags) and 642 in .38 special I assume this ok enough to shoot with? 300 rounds of 9mm box or two of .38's (probably won't shoot that a whole lot of 38's) I gotta stop and buy some ammo eitherway is that going to be enough for the wife an I? A cooler with some pop and water, maybe some small snacks. Real food, American food :lol:

Baby is 6 months, bringing her just wouldn't be a good idea.

The range is open and you can drive up pretty close or stay fairly well away. Cars have good noise protection and if you or your wife are in the car with the baby with the AC on you could take shifts. Alternativly your SIL is not coming to the shoot so she might baby-sit for you.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:10 pm 

Well we plan to go, I have the wife meet up with me and we'll go from there, hopefully we can get there a bit earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Just to remind everyone, Saturday at Noon and the Range @ Hutchinson, It looks like we'll be about a dozen or so, with a couple of those arriving late.

I will be at the range by about 10:30, willing hands are welcome and trucks too: Steel is heavy :shock: :shock: :shock:

I see no one wants to organize a BBQ, so bring food and drinks. :( :( :(

I'd say sunblock will be needed, as the prediction is for 90s and sunny. :D :D :D :D :D

See you there.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

It sounds like myself and friends (+2) will be arriving around noon at the latest. We will be helping a friend move.

I hope to be done early so we can get a real work out in as two of us are a little flabby around the middle. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:57 pm 
Delicate Flower

Not going to make it...have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:13 pm 
1911 tainted

Widge wrote:
Not going to make it...have fun.

I was hoping you would because I would like to meet on our finest in the rural area.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:09 pm 

Not going to make it, I'll be out racing my car in Amery.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.