Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Castle Doctrine 
 Post subject: Castle Doctrine
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:11 pm 

Is Minnesota a Castle Doctrine state?

Is Minnesota a Make My Day state?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

No.

There has been an effort to remove the duty to retreat, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:33 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Minnesota is a "castle doctrine" state. You have no duty to retreat in your own home.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

but you do in your yard

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you shoot in your home, Make damn sure you have no other choice first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

One could die trying to make that decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:

You may shoot in your own home to prevent the commission of a felony, or to protect yourself or another reluctant participant from death or great bodily harm where no lesser force will suffice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
JimC wrote:

You may shoot in your own home to prevent the commission of a felony.

Not all felonies. The list in 609.06 applies, which basically limits it to resisting offenses against the person, or in resisting trespass upon or unlawful interference with real or personal property.

You can't shoot someone for felony tax evasion, even if he does it in your living room.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:28 pm 

Ah, yes. "Reluctant participant."

I think it's important for instructors using this lovely turn of phrase to point out, Andrew, that nowhere in the statutes does it say "reluctant participant."

Take a look at 609.065, which reads:

Quote:
The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

I wonder whether the interplay between 609.06 and 609.065, to which jedge alludes, was intentional by the legislature or merely a product of the the revisor's imagination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Ah, yes. "Reluctant participant."

I think it's important for instructors using this lovely turn of phrase to point out, Andrew, that nowhere in the statutes does it say "reluctant participant."

Nope. And what a simple world it would be if the statutes were the sum total of the law.

They are not. Finders of law are bound by precedent, and the reluctant participant test is firmly established precedent.

See this thread for more detail:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1778

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
JimC wrote:

You may shoot in your own home to prevent the commission of a felony.

Not all felonies. The list in 609.06 applies, which basically limits it to resisting offenses against the person, or in resisting trespass upon or unlawful interference with real or personal property.

You can't shoot someone for felony tax evasion, even if he does it in your living room.

Got a cite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

I believe that you can unless the felony tax evader is a cabinet member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:39 am 

gunflint wrote:
I believe that you can unless the felony tax evader is a cabinet member.

Ah, but then it's no longer a felony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
jdege wrote:

Got a cite?

Yep.

Quote:
609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.
The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

Notice that this is a limitation on 609.06. not a stand-alone provision. And 609.06 allows for the use of force only in certain circumstances.

609.065 authorizes the use of deadly force only when the use of force is authorized by 609.06 AND when it is necessary in " necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode."

And of the list of circumstances in which 609.06 authorizes the use of force, the ones that are most likely to involve the commission of a felony are:

Quote:
(3) when used by any person in resisting or aiding another to resist an offense against the person; or

(4) when used by any person in lawful possession of real or personal property, or by another assisting the person in lawful possession, in resisting a trespass upon or other unlawful interference with such property;

There are, true, other provisions in which force is authorized by 609.06, but they are either circumstances in which there can be no felony offense involved, or which require that you be acting under the direction of a public officer, etc. They aren't generally relevant. (I'm trying to envision a scenario in which someone can be both authorized to use force under 609.06(8) and is authorized in use deadly force under the "preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode" provision of 609.065, but I'm not having much luck.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.