Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 State FOREST carry 
 Post subject: State FOREST carry
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:57 pm 
Journeyman Member

I did the search on here and am still not clear as to whether I can or can't carry in a state forest. It appears that I can, but then I read where I can't in or within 200 feet of a campsite?

Can someone please clarify for me? We're heading to a MN state forest this weekend and if someone has a clarification on this, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carry is ONLY prohibited where state law says it is. Carry in state, county and city parks, forests and nature preserves cannot be forbidden.

National parks are forbidden under federal regulation; that is likely to change very soon. Carry in national forests is not prohibited.

Post subject: Re: State FOREST carry
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

diamondsj wrote:
I did the search on here and am still not clear as to whether I can or can't carry in a state forest. It appears that I can, but then I read where I can't in or within 200 feet of a campsite?

Can you tell us where you saw this 200 foot rule? without knowing where it came from, I wonder if it's the rule with regard to uncased firearms when hunting in state forests, which would not apply to carry permit holders.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:10 pm 
Journeyman Member

The 200 foot thing was in the search I did...it was referencing a MN Rule or Federal Rule or DNR Regs...not sure which, but I searched under "State Forest Carry" and came up with about 13 threads addressing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here's the 200' rule:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/rules.html#hunting

Quote:
Hunting, trapping, and fishing

Hunting, trapping, and fishing in state forests is allowed during the appropriate season and with the correct license. State game refuges within state forests are closed to hunting unless listed as open. State forests do contain private holdings within their boundaries, many of which are signed "no hunting." Hunting on private land within a state forest is subject to state trespass laws. Maps are available to aid in the identification of these areas and help you to plan your hunt around them.

Firearms

* Firearms may be discharged in compliance with the law on forest lands not posted closed to firearms discharge.
* Shooting ranges, where designated, have special rules. Observe postings on site.
* Firearms must be unloaded and cased bows must be unstrung and cased while in or within 200 feet of a forest recreation area (campground, day-use area, parking area, etc.). Exception: During seasons open for hunting, a person may carry an unloaded, uncased firearm or strung bow from a forest recreation area to hunt outside of the area. More about hunting in state forests

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

from here: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... +carry+200

Quote:
I talked with Parks, they allow people with conceal carry permits to
possess handguns with a valid permit. Forestry's interpretation would
be the same for our facilities while in or within 200 feet of a forest
recreation area. We have no restriction on forest land outside of
recreation areas, unless posted otherwise. It should be noted that rule
6100.0800 still applies to firearms other than pistols, bows and other
weapons as mentioned in the rule.

Curt Cogan
Forestry Enforcement Coordinator
MN Dept. of Natural Resources
1601 Minnesota Drive
Brainerd, MN 56401
Office 218-833-8697 Fax 218-828-2431

Suellen Rau, Supervisor
Information Center
MN Department of Natural Resources
Bureau of Information & Education
500 Lafayette Rd
St. Paul, MN 55155-4040
651/296-6157
Suellen.rau@dnr.state.mn.us

Parsing the convoluted grammar, the 200' rule is for people without Permits to carry firearms. The DNR recognizes they are preempted from prohibiting persons with carry permits. Forestry recognizes this as well. Personally, I'd avoid long arm carry even under the conditions where it's legal. CO's often have large areas to cover as do State Forest rangers and having them come out for a man with rifle call would be a waste of everyone's effort.

Last edited by plblark on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:37 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks for the clarification!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.