Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Mpls suspends acceptance of Permit to Purchase applications? 
 Post subject: Mpls suspends acceptance of Permit to Purchase applications?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:10 pm 

Quote:
City of MinneapolisResidents Business Government Visitors 311/City Services Search

Police Department Inside MPDInvestigationsFamily Violence UnitHomicide UnitJuvenile UnitLicense InvestigationsGun PermitsGun Permit
Background CheckNarcotics UnitPrecinct InvestigationsSex Crimes

NOTE: Due to Republican National Convention staff reallocation, no applications for permits to purchase handguns will be accepted from August 18 to September 8, 2008.

Gun Permits

Permits to Carry Handguns

The Minnesota Personal Protection Act took effect May 28, 2003, and the City of Minneapolis no longer issues permits to carry handguns. The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is now responsible for issuing all permits to carry to residents of Hennepin County. More information on the Minnesota Personal Protection Act (Conceal and Carry) may be obtained at the following Hennepin County and State of Minnesota websites:

Hennepin County Sheriff

State of Minnesota

Permits to Purchase Handguns:

Applicants for permits to purchase handguns must apply in person to the police department in the city in which they live and present a valid Minnesota driver's license or identification card with their current address. If there is no police department, they must apply to the sheriff's office in the county in which they reside. Minneapolis residents may apply for a permit to purchase (not carry) in Minneapolis City Hall, 350 South 5th Street, Room 1-A, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Public service hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Application forms may be obtained by following this link to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Form (PDF).

Purchase:

Complete application. All areas of application must be filled in completely. Falsified applications will be reviewed for possible criminal prosecution.
You must be 18 years old to acquire or possess a handgun or military-style assault weapon. Federal law requires you to be 21 years old to acquire handguns from licensed dealers.
You must not have been convicted of a crime of violence. Definitions of crimes of violence can be found in MN Statue 624.712 subdivision 5. This portion does not apply if 10 years has lapsed since your sentence has expired.

You must not have been convicted of 5th degree assault as defined in MN Statue 609.224 subdivision 3, paragraph (b).

You must not have been convicted of domestic assault as defined in MN Statue 609.2242.

You must not have been court ordered committed to a treatment facility. This portion does not apply if documentation can be provided that you have completed treatment. (Peace Officer must be provide information pertaining to informal treatment programs attended).

You must not have been convicted of unlawful use, possession or sale of a controlled substance.

You must not have been convicted of a felony unless 10 years has lapsed since completion of your sentence.

You must not be a fugitive. Any type of warrant (petty parking) classifies you as a fugitive.

You must not be a user of a controlled substance. Controlled substances are defined in MN Statue 152.

You must be a US Citizen or Legal Alien.

You must not have been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces.

You must not be the subject of a restraining order.

Permit Background Check Inquiry

For additional information regarding permits to purchase, call the License Investigation Unit at (612) 673-3002 or e-mail us at police@ci.minneapolis.mn.us.

© 1997-2008 Official Web Site of the City of Minneapolis, Minnesota

Disclaimers and Notices | Privacy Statement

Home | Search | City Services | Contact Us | Languages: Español | Soomaaliga | Hmoob

This information is maintained by City of Minneapolis, Business Information Services.

Odd. I don't recall seeing anything in the law that would allow Minneapolis to suspend the acceptance of Permit to Purchase applications if the RNC comes to town. This is from the MPD web site.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

They make up 'rules' as they go. :roll:

There was another post on these forums about their BS 'rules'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

All this means that gun dealers can sell guns to any Mpls resident, from Aug 25 to Sep 15, even if they have no purchase permit. The city has the power to deny unqualified buyers a permit based on the background check, and now they have forfeited that power.

It should amount to nothing, as such a buyer would still have to pass the instant check at said dealer.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:00 am 

St. Paul did the same thing. I tried to apply on the friday the convention but it was still all fenced off, they said the St. Paul Police department was off limits to the public. I would have been able to go into the Ramsey county law enforcement center and apply for the carry permit had I been ready. I applied on Monday at the St. Paul PD and they said it will be 2-3 weeks due to the backup from the convention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I could see maybe a delay on getting out to you but not accepting is completely idiotic and poor customer service. :roll:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
I could see maybe a delay on getting out to you but not accepting is completely idiotic and poor customer service. :roll:

Neither is legally permissible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:31 pm 

Update:

I received my permit to purchase today the 19th, applied the 8th and it was issued on the 9th. I also didn't fill in the optional residences as I've moved almost every year for 8 of the last 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

APPARITION wrote:
Update:

I received my permit to purchase today the 19th, applied the 8th and it was issued on the 9th. I also didn't fill in the optional residences as I've moved almost every year for 8 of the last 10.

You were actually good to buy on the 16th. Their tardiness is neither your nor your dealer's problem.

"3 day waiting period? But I'm mad NOW! -Homer Simpson"

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:18 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
You were actually good to buy on the 16th. Their tardiness is neither your nor your dealer's problem.

I was in no hurry, I simply wanted it before the end of the month. I was just posting to update their telling me that it would be atleast 2-3 weeks because of the backup from the convention. They were 9 business days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:06 pm 

Well, you're doing better over in Minneapolis than I am in St. Paul. I'm at 53 days and still counting...

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:05 pm 

JGalt wrote:
Well, you're doing better over in Minneapolis than I am in St. Paul. I'm at 53 days and still counting...

No, mine is St. Paul but it is a purchase permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:44 am 
Journeyman Member

JGalt wrote:

Time to print off some statutes and head down to the Sheriff's office to do some educating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:04 am 
Delicate Flower

teamgreen02 wrote:
JGalt wrote:

Time to print off some statutes and head down to the Sheriff's office to do some educating.

maybe to the StPPD..............it's a purchase permit jgalt is waiting on

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:15 am 

Maybe time for me to rekindle my relationship with Chief Harrington. He was my college professor for Community Oriented Policing at Metro State.

Minneapolis Police/Fire Dispatcher

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.