Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Reliable Conceal carry attorney 
 Post subject: Reliable Conceal carry attorney
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:29 am 

:?: I have my permit just bought my carry pistol. It has been recommended that I have with me the name and phone number of an attorney at all times "just in case". I am looking for a reliable attorney who is a friend of Conceal Carry permit holders. Does anybody have a recommendations? I am from St Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Kurtis Berg is in St Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Marc Berris

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Anyone have a list of reliable 'carry permit friendly' attorneys throughout the state?

That way, those of us not living in the greater metro area can hopefully find one near where we live.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:22 pm 

Thanks for the leads. I will get cards and have them on hand. This is a great site! :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Marc Berris, David Gross, Jeff Benson, Brian Toder. You can find their info with the search function.

If you really, really need an attorney, don't be afraid to import one from the metro. Just ask Kenny Englund.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:44 pm 
On time out

That seems to say that the only good lawyers in the state are here in the metro, I would beg to differ......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not at all. But finding a good lawyer is more important than finding a local one, and there are not a lot of seriously experienced criminal defense attorneys in tiny towns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Not at all. But finding a good lawyer is more important than finding a local one, and there are not a lot of seriously experienced criminal defense attorneys in tiny towns.

I wholeheartedly agree. But are there any that are in the outlying areas of MN?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:18 pm 
The Man

Hunter07 wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. But are there any that are in the outlying areas of MN?
Almost certainly. But I think that if any of them were known to folks on the Forum, somebody would have mentioned them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:50 pm 

Steve Anderson from Warroad, Mn. has successfully defended a permittee a few years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:36 am 
On time out

Thru other venues, I happen to know a few who are in outstate, who are very good at what they do. One is in fargo moorhead, and the other is in duluth. I will ask for their permission to post here during the work week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:26 am 
Longtime Regular

The law is the same everywhere in the state. The folks who make the decisions are not.

A local attorney who has had hundreds of cases before the local judges will do lots better than someone they don't know, with respect to setting and arranging bail, getting out of jail, possible plea bargain, jury selection ect.

Most of the above is not terribly complicated legally. It is more who you know and what you know about them than fine nuances of the law. Politics are local.

This stuff is done skillfully and efficiently in rural areas everyday. I'm a rural lawyer, believe me, we do not sit in awe of the nutty stuff we see in Hennepin and Ramsey Countiies. Neither do rural judges.

But we don't have murder trials everyday, or even every year in rural areas. So, the County Attorney will probably bring in a gun from the AG's office, the police will bring in the BCA, and if you can afford it, and the situation will go to trial and appeal's court, it might be time to hire another gun, a least for pre-trial motions to set up the appeal if you don't get the verdict.

When I had practiced for only a year, I had a drug client who had a co-defendent with a rich absent father. They faced significant charges, and were caught sort of red handed. Dad hired the best in the business for his boy, a Twin City defense lawyer with a great reputation. That lawyer always asked ME to advise him about the Judges, presecutors, police, his client's family and friends, and the witnesses.

He asked my advice about the simplest things I could imagine. He could pretend to know nothing. I wondered sometimes if he had read the Complaint. He talked to everybody he met for a couple of days.

I heard part of his negotiations, and it's still the best I've ever heard. He learned everything, and I mean everything, and got a great settlement. He proved he was prepared, and they knew he could do a trial and appeal.

He's a great trial attorney who went on to be a "big city" judge, and then retired. And I learned some stuff. But my client was the "kingpin" and he was out of jail five days before the rich kid with the best lawyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:44 am 
Longtime Regular

So, if you live outstate, have a local lawyer for the local knowledge, then bring in a big gun if you actually get charged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

David Gross is in the Faribault area now, isn't he?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.