Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Church Schools 
 Post subject: Church Schools
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 am 
Longtime Regular

A note on Schools. Since a school is a school is a school, 24/7/365 whether students are present or not, and Catholic schools are Private schools, be especially careful if you have children or relatives in Sunday School or Religious Education at a church which has an attached or detached School on grounds. Often, they hold these classes in the school building.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Church Schools
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Thoughts?

Let's get the barrier to carry on school grounds removed? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

And what of religious schools that have classes in the basement under the chapel/worship area? Who knows then if church is conducted in a school?

609.66 Subd 1d (c) wrote:
(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) or (b), it is a misdemeanor for a person authorized to carry a firearm under the provisions of a permit or otherwise to carry a firearm on or about the person's clothes or person in a location the person knows is school property

I'm certain that "I didn't know it was school property" is an affirmative defense I wouldn't want to have to use.

I like Sultan's solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:44 pm 

Is it school property or church property that the school uses? Does that make a difference? I would like to know as our church has a school. Does that mean I can't carry at church on Sunday, or any other day of the week I might happen to be there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:28 am 
Longtime Regular

(4) "school property" means:

(i) a public or private elementary, middle, or secondary school building and its improved grounds, whether leased or owned by the school;

(ii) a child care center licensed under chapter 245A during the period children are present and participating in a child care program;

(iii) the area within a school bus when that bus is being used by a school to transport one or more elementary, middle, or secondary school students to and from school-related activities, including curricular, cocurricular, noncurricular, extracurricular, and supplementary activities; and

(iv) that portion of a building or facility under the temporary, exclusive control of a public or private school, a school district, or an association of such entities where conspicuous signs are prominently posted at each entrance that give actual notice to persons of the school-related use.

It seems to me if you are talking about a multi-purpose building, if the area utilized by a school is not signed, it's open to permit holders along with the rest of the building. I'd gladly be corrected by any experts. Please chime in.

I think I have said this before, but to most decision-makers, this is a fairly subtle and esoteric portion of the law as far as they are concerned. It's tough to debate the meaning of the law when you are in handcuffs.

The absolute, solid-gold, best bet is to obtain:
written permission of the principal or other person having general control and supervision of the school or the director of a child care center

... although I admit, in most cases that is next to impossible. Choose your children's schools wisely.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.