Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Saturday morning AA meeting in Luthern Church/school........ 
 Post subject: Saturday morning AA meeting in Luthern Church/school........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

No posted signs. I usually pack concealed.

Legality?????????????

I believe I am, but what do you guys say, it's a private school and not in session. They basically hold HS classes right in the church building during the week....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

That may make it a school, and so it's may not be legal. Do you want to risk a criminal trial to find out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mtng in Morristown? I was at that meeting a month and a half ago. Didn't notice the sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:58 am 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
Mtng in Morristown? I was at that meeting a month and a half ago. Didn't notice the sign.

Really? name? I said it's NOT posted. Yeah, that's why I made this thread, I DON'T want to break the laws.............Funny how if I was a thug, the laws wouldn't even enter the mind. And they want to keep guns away from people like ME, even though those THUGS will always get them. Hmmmmmmm, what's wrong with THIS picture!

BTW, Bens dad, my name is John, I bring the coffee...............keep comin back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Are you entering a portion of the building that is under the exclusive control of the school and is signed? No? Then I think you are OK, but I won't do squat for you if you get tagged.

(4) "school property" means:

(i) a public or private elementary, middle, or secondary school building and its improved grounds, whether leased or owned by the school;

(ii) a child care center licensed under chapter 245A during the period children are present and participating in a child care program;

(iii) the area within a school bus when that bus is being used by a school to transport one or more elementary, middle, or secondary school students to and from school-related activities, including curricular, cocurricular, noncurricular, extracurricular, and supplementary activities; and

(iv) that portion of a building or facility under the temporary, exclusive control of a public or private school, a school district, or an association of such entities where conspicuous signs are prominently posted at each entrance that give actual notice to persons of the school-related use.

It seems to me if you are talking about a multi-purpose building, if the area utilized by a school is not signed, it's open to permit holders along with the rest of the building. I'd gladly be corrected by any experts. Please chime in.

I think I have said this before, but to most decision-makers, this is a fairly subtle and esoteric portion of the law as far as they are concerned. It's tough to debate the meaning of the law when you are in handcuffs.

The absolute, solid-gold, best bet is to obtain:
written permission of the principal or other person having general control and supervision of the school or the director of a child care center

... although I admit, in most cases that is next to impossible. Choose your children's schools wisely.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Hmmm, they do hold classes upstairs of the church, and they do have a "portable" (mobile home") classroom. I guess the portable is considered as classroom only, but the church isn't. Interesting, I just got to thinking last night (god it hurt!) about carrying on school property, and was like "maybe I better re-think this a bit!"

Thanks everyone.................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

It should not be that difficult.

These laws won't stop the criminal and serve only to entrap. These zero tolerance rules are just as foolish. I read recently that a high school student in Anoka(?)was suspended for having a box cutter in his car a tool he used as a stock person at the local grocery. That a youngster was reprimanded because he had a gun magazine in his possession and not the one from the school library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Like I said, no guns in school laws, will deter me, cause I'm law abiding, (most of the time) :wink: , but to criminals it means nothing. Nice we have such important legal deterrents that is fosho................. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
It seems to me if you are talking about a multi-purpose building, if the area utilized by a school is not signed, it's open to permit holders along with the rest of the building. I'd gladly be corrected by any experts. Please chime in.

WE DON'T KNOW how a court will interpret 609.66 and a multi-use building. And finding out could be expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

And, I don't fear ANY of my AA brothers, so, I'll just leave my gun home, lol. I can't afford an attorney unless absolutely necessary. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
WE DON'T KNOW how a court will interpret 609.66 and a multi-use building. And finding out could be expensive.

How expensive is a misdemeanor trial?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's not the trial I worry about, it's the attorney fees...............

Court costs aren't that much, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

How expensive is a misdemeanor trial?

Up to 90 days and/or $1,000, if you lose. Oh, and probably never getting a carry permit again. And the lost wages and the lawyer fees.

Other than that it's an absolute bargain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Of course, that is all a worst case scenario opinion. But you do get to keep your gun regardless.
Quote:
a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

AND my bullet? :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.