Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Guns drawn, disarmed, yelled at, banned from premises... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:15 am 

I keep hearing people complain about having or using a level 2 or 3 retention holster. I don't get it. You know what I see when people say that it's so much slower. LAZY. It's called practice. Holster drills every night for 5 min before you take your "normal" clothes off. Start off slowly methodically and before you know it your speed will pick up. Do it enough and now it's second nature. There is no thought as to how you draw that weapon in a moments notice, you just do it.

I was reciently talking to a friend of mine who was an peace officer in Texas. He was on patrol and noticed a driver, driving erratically. He pulled the truck over (ranger 2wd). As he was just starting to talk, his partner on the other side of the truck said Gun. While his partner had well over a second from, see gun, say gun, to my friend registering Draw gun. His partner "lost" the draw race by a long shot. Why? Practice.

As Carry folks, do you guys/gals do holster drills every night, week, month.....? I don't care what holster it is, simple or not. I have a strong suspicion that there is only a VERY small number of us that do. I'm not pointing any fingers, but if you tell me that you can't draw a level 2 or 3 holster fast enough.... I suspect no practice. My safariland holster is just like this: http://www.safariland.com/media/pop.asp?model=6365

Slower than a holser with no locks, of course. By how much, not much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Plenty of "well-trained" cops seem to forget all their "practice" and/or lose the digital dexterity to work the damn things under the debilitating effects of adrenaline.

Fewer steps are faster than more steps. Easier is more likely to work than harder, especially under stress.

I'm going to take all the advantages I can get, even if you call me names. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:53 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Plenty of "well-trained" cops seem to forget all their "practice" and/or lose the digital dexterity to work the damn things under the debilitating effects of adrenaline.

Fewer steps are faster than more steps. Easier is more likely to work than harder, especially under stress.

I'm going to take all the advantages I can get, even if you call me names. ;)

LOL I'm by no means calling any one names. Alot of cops only shoot once a year too. I don't like using Cops as an example for that reason. I've met cops that wouldn't carry a gun if they didn't have to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had the chance to watch three rivers PD shoot for their POST certification last week. of the four I saw shooting only one of them was remotely proficent with their holster and drawing. He broke leather and had the 2nd shot off before the rest could aquire their targets.

<--- thinks a certain group could use ALOT more range/practice time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:16 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
jaysong wrote:
Do you mean this one? I believe this is a fobus paddle. It is injected plastic I believe not kydex.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

Thats the one! Thanks.

I have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa Holster (Level 2) - http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=410507BK-L .

I HAVE broken the paddle on mine. Sat down in a chair a little too close to the arm, and it pulled out and snapped the paddle. Stopped in at Streicher's in Plymouth, and asked them about replacement parts - guy just handed me a new one, saying Blackhawk had given him a bunch of spares, and apparently it DOES happen from time to time.

So they can break, I've had it happen. Still use mine, haven't found anything better yet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:56 pm 
Journeyman Member

Wow. I just read all this in one sitting. I think my brain has melted.

I think what happened to the OP was rediculous. It should have never happened. PERIOD. The MPD officers should be ashamed of themselves.

I too will either OC or CC depending on the situation (Primarily I CC). I have no shame in OC. I could care less of what people think, it s my legal right to do so. If I'm wearing a jacket and t-shirt (like today), if my jacket is on, my gun is concealed. BUT! If I get hot, I'm going to take off my jacket. I'm not going to make myself uncomfortable to make other's comfortable (in this situation). I'm not going to put my jacket back on just to run into a store.

We all have different reasons for carry. Some of us prefer OC, some of us prefer CC. Either way, it's our choice and our legal right. I OC in Mound all the time. So far, no problems. If I'm just running to the store to get smokes, I'm not gonna care one way or another if I'm OCing or CCing. I'm just going to go to the store in whatever manner is convenient for me.

BTW, I also use Blackhawk CQC Serpa holsters. Unfortunately they don't have one for my Glock 30 yet. :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.