Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Nice article 
 Post subject: Nice article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

From my school newspaper. I'm impressed. I wasn't misquoted this time, and they actually published it.

http://media.www.universitychronicle.co ... age2.shtml

Quote:
Allowing guns on campus will prevent shootings, rape
Tyler Ohmann
Issue date: 9/29/08 Section: Opinions
PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 2 next > A graduate student leaving an evening class walks along the poorly lit sidewalk to the parking lot-it is a long, cold walk in the pitch-black night, and the student grows wary as shadows begin lurking in the distance. Suddenly, someone jumps out in front of the student, immediately threatening them with force. Before the student can react, they are raped and robbed.

This is a very scary scenario, and is one that happens on the SCSU campus every year.

It seems like every week we get an e-mail citing another attack to students somewhere on or near campus. However, all of these attacks could be prevented if we allow students to carry guns as a means of self-defense.

Although safety is my biggest concern, there are other arguments that point to this solution as well.

First, it is our Second Amendment right to bear arms. Although debates have gone on about how it should be interpreted, I believe it means that if a law abiding, trained and eligible citizen would like to carry a gun with them in self defense, they should be able to. Right now, that does not include campus.

"The law, as it stands now, does not prohibit carry on campus," said Terence McCloskey, SCSU campus leader for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC). "It allows universities to establish rules restricting carry on campus by students and staff."

According to the March 2007 Safety and Security bulletin in section 2.1, "Alcoholic beverages, non-regulated drugs, explosives, guns and ammunition are not permitted on SCSU property."

This rule, I believe, is a violation of my Second Amendment rights.

The second reason guns should be allowed is because it will give a student, such as the one in the scenario, a sense of security and comfort when they are in a normally uncomfortable situation or area.

The opposition would say that although the person with the gun is comfortable, it makes others around that person uncomfortable or afraid to speak up in class.

Well, let me ask you this: how often do you feel uncomfortable or scared about someone near you having a gun when you go to a movie theater? Probably not too often. However, McCloskey said that one percent of Minnesotans have a permit to carry guns.

"That means that every time they go to a movie theater with around 200 people inside, they are sitting with two people that are carrying a gun," McCloskey said.

There are people all around us that have guns, and it seems to be handled just fine.

After all, the one percent that do carry guns have to meet certain requirements-they are not handed out to just anyone.

Minnesota law requires everyone to have a permit in order to own a handgun, and to obtain one you must be 21 years of age, be a U.S. citizen, have training in the safe use of a pistol, not be a felon, not have a domestic violence offense in the last 10 years, not be a person convicted of stalking, as well as many other restrictions. You can find these laws on the State of Minnesota Web site.

The final reason that guns should be allowed to be carried by students who obtain a permit is that it could prevent a tragic shooting like the one at Virginia Tech a couple of years ago.

"Our best and our brightest are in an unprotected environment and are essentially being led to the slaughter," said Keith Moum in an article in The Missourian. "It's not as graphic as that, but it clearly shows that there is an element out there that has targeted college students, and campus policy has left them with no way to defend themselves."

If guns would have been allowed on that campus, that tragedy may have been either averted or at least minimized.

So, in order to make the SCSU campus, and other campuses nationwide a safe, comfortable environment for everyone, we need to allow the ability to carry a gun on campus. Not only will it make a student carrying a gun feel safe, it can prevent a tragic shooting, a robbery, or a rape. It is our right. Let us exercise it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wha ???? GREAT article !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmmmmm, I bet there are alcoholic beverages, drugs, explosives, and guns, on campus as I type this. But with the owners of these illegal weapons, and honest students being unarmed by said college, it looks like the people with the illegal weapons win again! They will be in charge if and when they want to! :roll:

Great article BTW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Minnesota law requires everyone to have a permit in order to own a handgun...

Whoops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Very nice article! Have you contacted the author to see if he is interested in joining up here?

The only thing I take issue with is:
Quote:
First, it is our Second Amendment right to bear arms. Although debates have gone on about how it should be interpreted, I believe it means that if a law abiding, trained and eligible citizen would like to carry a gun with them in self defense, they should be able to. Right now, that does not include campus.

I am pretty sure 2A doesn't include any training provisions or eligibility requirements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:29 am 

Great article. This seems so plain and simple to me...I can't understand why university officials across the US cannot understand this.

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Have you contacted the author to see if he is interested in joining up here?

I believe the poster (AGoodDay) is the author of the article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:00 am 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:
I believe the poster (AGoodDay) is the author of the article.

Oh, I thought he was the SCCC rep at SCSU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 am 

I like the article, but why do they have to be "guns". Can't they be "firearms"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:42 am 
Poet Laureate

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:
Minnesota law requires everyone to have a permit in order to own a handgun...

Whoops.

Quote:
to obtain one you must be... ...a U.S. citizen

Whoops, x 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 am 
Longtime Regular

No, I'm not the author. I'm the SCCC rep for SCSU.

Yeah, there were a few small factual errors in there. I still think the author did a nice job, though. I do plan to chat with him further.

Regarding the permit to own a handgun, I think that he was referring to a permit to purchase. He doesn't have space to explain all of the nitty gritty ins and outs of the laws, and I'd venture an educated guess that most people don't really understand all of the ins and outs.

Quote:
I like the article, but why do they have to be "guns". Can't they be "firearms"?

Sure.

I don't personally have a problem with either term. I usually use "firearm", but I sometimes do use the word "gun", along with a several other terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:11 pm 

yep, a couple small errors...but overall, a good article...nice that they printed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:58 am 

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:42 am 
Longtime Regular

It’s nice to see someone sticking up for a student’s right to self-protection with a gun. One thing I would change or somehow make very clear is this would only apply to students 21 years old and older who are eligible for a permit and actually want to carry. That in fact is a very, very small percentage of the school population and employees. I bet many people read something like this and think of a wet-behind-the-ears freshman and say “no way would I let a kid like that carry a gun”. I’m glad to see they actually printed this.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.