Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Moving with ccw, but with complications? 
 Post subject: Moving with ccw, but with complications?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:32 pm 

Hi, I've been a long time reader, but I just registered to become part of the community. Mainly because I live near the TC. I've been amazed at the quality of people and their answers over the year+ I've been reading. I've had my carry/conceal permit for a little over a year now.

I moved from Douglas County to Carver County July 8th. I understand that I need to talk to the Carver County sheriff (I believe...) to start the change of address.

But heres the problem. on July 4th I received a DWI in Douglas County. (1st offense, 4th degree) I blew a .1, and let me tell everyone, I was so ashamed of myself. I hate drunk drivers, and I had made the same bad decision. So my license was clipped, so I didn't do the address change within the (recommended?) 30 days. I have a plea agreement (plea agreement=convicted misdemeanor) thats going to be finished with Douglas County sometime this month (October) and one of the provisions was that I'd take a chem. assessment exam and receive no jail time. I already did my test, and received my letter from Carver County stating no need for treatment.

So some time I'll get a new valid license with my new address. I still have my cc permit from the Douglas County Sheriff. My plea agreement will be done soon.

From what I've read, a 4th degree DWI isn't really grounds for a permit refusal, but will any of my misdemeanor offense be looked at for a address change across counties? and/or will it require a valid-address current license to submit my new address? (i do have my limited license)

Secondly, (depends of the first answer) should I wait till my plea is done and I have my license before changing my permit address?

Thanks everyone
-Jai9100

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Simply just notify the Douglas County Sheriff (Isuser of you permit) of your new address.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

You are not required to update the address on your permit. If you want to contact the Douglas Co. Sheriff when you get your new license. They can charge you $10 for the update. No need to involve Carver Co. at all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:14 pm 

So I don't have to prove my new address with my license at all? If so, I'll call tomorrow.

-Jai9100

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jai9100 wrote:
So I don't have to prove my new address with my license at all? If so, I'll call tomorrow.

-Jai9100

MN 624.714
Quote:
Subd. 7a. Change of address; loss or destruction of permit.
(a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the
permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to
provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must
not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not
subject to forfeiture.
(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement permit card by
paying $10 to the sheriff. The request for a replacement permit card must be made on an official,
standardized application adopted for this purpose under section 624.7151, and, except in the case of an
address change, must include a notarized statement that the permit card has been lost or destroyed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh, I almost forgot; Welcome to the forum as a member. :D

Last edited by jaysong on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:29 pm 

jaysong wrote:
Oh, I almost forgot; Welcome the forum as a member. :D

Thanks, I hope my future posts won't have questions like my last one :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:57 pm 
Delicate Flower

Jai9100 wrote:

-Jai9100

Submit it in writing

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

And mail it with a returned,signed, proof of delivery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:02 am 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
You are not required to update the address on your permit. If you want to contact the Douglas Co. Sheriff when you get your new license. They can charge you $10 for the update. No need to involve Carver Co. at all.

Just to clarify, you are REQUIRED to notify the issuing sheriff of your new address within 30 days of your move. Getting the new card is optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:24 am 
The Man

Yup.

There's a temptation that folks have to make things complicated, and focus on what's important to them, rather than keep simple issues simple.

In this case, it's very simple: you need to inform the issuing sheriff of your new address within 30 days of moving. That should be done in writing. If you don't do it, or do it late, you could be hit with a $25 fine.

So, since it's simple, just keep it simple: send a letter to the issuing sheriff, informing him or her of your new address; do it today, if you haven't already done it.

In that letter, don't discuss any other issues. You're notifying the appropriate public official of a change of address, as required by law. Period.

In that spirit, I'm not going to discuss other issues you've raised in this thread, and ask -- that's ask, not insist -- that others follow my lead. I'm not opposed to discussing them, but let's keep that a separate matter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:33 am 

I'll keep it short. Welcome to the forum.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.