Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Harrasment & Drawing 
 Post subject: Harrasment & Drawing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:15 pm 

I'm sure a number of you have met folks on the street that pan handle for money... I've recently been seeing quite a few folks that look like they're on drugs swearing, cursing, and acting physically confrontational to other people on the street.

What would you do if someone like this approached you while you were walking on the street with a CCW?

I was recently walking down a not so nice part of Nicollet Ave and saw a guy swearing and getting in another fellas face. Well he crossed the street and came in behind my girlfriend and I.

I moved over so I could see if he was going to harass me, and so I could shove my g/f down the alley I planned to retreat down.

My plan was basically to tell him to @#$% off and leave us alone if he continued coming towards us... which would shortly be followed by drawing my weapon. Thankfully he saw someone else to harass, and we continued on our way.

Considering a past experience I've had, some of these folks seem to be completely unfazed by having a firearm pointed at them. So a situation could quickly develop with them being shot.

I'm beginning to wonder if Mace or Taser would be a good item to deploy in a scenario like this?

Then again I don't exactly want to bring mace/taser to what could easily be a gunfight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Stay indoors for a few more weeks. The bums will migrate south as soon as the snow falls. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:22 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Stay indoors for a few more weeks. The bums will migrate south as soon as the snow falls. :wink:

Ain't that the truth. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:30 pm 

Be courteous but not freindly.

"I'm sorry sir, I can't help you!"

Post subject: Re: Harrasment & Drawing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if Mace or Taser would be a good item to deploy in a scenario like this?

To avoid having to draw your gun and go to jail? Yeah, I think so! Those less-lethal options seems to work pretty well for police officers.

gyrfalcon wrote:
Then again I don't exactly want to bring mace/taser to what could easily be a gunfight.

Are you looking for a gunfight? As long as you don't carry a less-lethal option in lieu of your gun, you'll be fine if it gets to that level.

Take a look at the force continuum and report back: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_escalation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Walk on the other side of the street. Go around them. Say No and mean it.

I like to have my hand on my pocket carry gun. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 am 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:

One of my most favorite parts of living in this state! I don't think a lot of people realize that - I didn't, until I got my first job out of college and started traveling a lot. Man, some cities in the southern part of the US are FILLED with homeless people. I remember Phoenix being especially 'populated'....and it's like that all year 'round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Many street people have drug, alcohol, mental illness and any combination of the above problems. Many also carry some kind of edged weapon, that’s just life on the streets. When I have to be downtown I keep an eye out for them, avoid them as much as I can, and before they even get close I hold a hand up and say “No to whatever you want”. I don’t want a person with the issues I’ve mentioned getting within arm’s reach of me. This usually backs them off. I also like Srigs “have my hand on” my gun.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:55 am 
Longtime Regular

gman1868 wrote:
Be courteous but not freindly.

"I'm sorry sir, I can't help you!"

Courteous may = weak to the ears of these types of people.

Be direct and forceful with your speech.

YMMV and this is only my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

These are my people. Up til recently, my job was working with the homeless, and more specifically the mentally ill and addicted among them. I have a deep love for them, but that also means ackowledging where they are. Yes they have issues and often (to the extent of always)have at least edged weapons. All that is a preface to three suggestions -

1. "No, I can't help" is a good phrase. It is not good to put an appology in your phrase. There is nothing wrong with helping in practical ways though. If you took a water bottle with you but didn't use it, consider giving it to them, just easy stuff like that.

2. Mutual respect goes a long way. If you look at them like they are wearing a suit and tie, no fear, no avoidance, no flinch . . . the scary act will usually get dropped.

3. Your safety comes first, nothing wrong with getting in a ready position during the exchage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

It's easy to confuse them too.

I just tell them "Nope, can't help today. Just like I told you yesterday."

They usually pause and try to remember if you really did tell them that yesterday.

The other key: never break stride. Keep moving.

Sometimes I ask them "Do you really think I'd be out here walking if I had any real money?"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Hand on the gun grip sends the message of "I am armed", without actually drawing, as well. Not breaking stride is good, too, but it's also possible to simply stare them down, when the situation requires you to face them. They want to intimidate, not challenge someone determined to resist.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

I hate downtown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:15 pm 
Journeyman Member

I live in St. Paul Midway so I run in to this all the time. Especially when I take my motorcycle somewhere. A young guy on a fast looking bike means easy money for these guys. I just tell em I don't have any cash. I had one guy who didn't like that answer and started cussing. I thought for sure when I turned away from him to take off he was going to assault me. The guy smelled worse than my roommate from the dorms (which is tough to do).

I haven't run across any while armed, but when I do, I will be on high alert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

teamgreen02 wrote:
I haven't run across any while armed, but when I do, I will be on high alert.

I'm not going to bust your chops for not being armed at all times. It's a personal choice, after all. But being aware of all the danger that exists in our world, don't you think you should be on high alert at all times, regardless of whether you're carrying?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.