Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Harrasment & Drawing 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:44 pm 
Journeyman Member

macphisto wrote:
teamgreen02 wrote:
I haven't run across any while armed, but when I do, I will be on high alert.

I'm not going to bust your chops for not being armed at all times. It's a personal choice, after all. But being aware of all the danger that exists in our world, don't you think you should be on high alert at all times, regardless of whether you're carrying?

See my thread http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10186. It's not that I didn't want to be armed, but I couldn't. There is a difference between situational awareness and being on high alert. I'll be a bit more alert if I'm meeting a drunk stumbling all over on the sidewalk, than say a soccer mom pushing a stroller. Don't think for a second the beggars and homeless are deterred by going to jail. They've been through the system dozens of times before. I carry whenever I'm not at school. My gun is on my hip right now.

Edit: I didn't mean to imply I wasn't on high alert when I'm not armed. However, a self defense scenario when armed is much different than one unarmed.

Last edited by teamgreen02 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Look 'em in the eye, shake your head once, and look like you mean it. I've never had that fail to discourage panhandlers.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

princewally wrote:
Look 'em in the eye, shake your head once, and look like you mean it. I've never had that fail to discourage panhandlers.

Yeah, well not all of us wear a bull nose ring and can feed 18 cannibals. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Female perspective here... American society encourages women to be "nice" (polite, compliant, friendly, etc.) and often labels a strong response as bitchy. My first advice to women: don't be afraid to be seen as bitchy.

I've found a strong, fearless eye contact (being careful not to shade over into in-your-face challenging eye contact) and a firm, "I can't help you," usually does the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Beat em to the punch, Ask them for money first.

That don't work, hand em the want ads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:53 pm 
The Man

teamgreen02 wrote:
macphisto wrote:
teamgreen02 wrote:
I haven't run across any while armed, but when I do, I will be on high alert.

I'm not going to bust your chops for not being armed at all times. It's a personal choice, after all. But being aware of all the danger that exists in our world, don't you think you should be on high alert at all times, regardless of whether you're carrying?

See my thread http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10186. It's not that I didn't want to be armed, but I couldn't. There is a difference between situational awareness and being on high alert.
Yup. Staying aware of what's going on around you isn't particularly stressful, and can be done most of the time. Makes life more interesting, too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:38 pm 

Macx wrote:
These are my people. Up til recently, my job was working with the homeless, and more specifically the mentally ill and addicted among them. I have a deep love for them, but that also means ackowledging where they are. Yes they have issues and often (to the extent of always)have at least edged weapons. All that is a preface to three suggestions -

1. "No, I can't help" is a good phrase. It is not good to put an appology in your phrase. There is nothing wrong with helping in practical ways though. If you took a water bottle with you but didn't use it, consider giving it to them, just easy stuff like that.

2. Mutual respect goes a long way. If you look at them like they are wearing a suit and tie, no fear, no avoidance, no flinch . . . the scary act will usually get dropped.

3. Your safety comes first, nothing wrong with getting in a ready position during the exchage.

I used to be on the street working with these folks (and worse!) for years. Good advice.

Post Hijack: How do you feel being a "carrier" in a room full of "social workers"? I find it's sometimes very difficult to keep my mouth shut. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not entirely sure that isn't part of why I am unemployed now. Not the mouth shut part, so much as wearing the wrong t-shirts (like the TCC T-Shirt) to work. I suppose I did advocate equal rights for poor folk a bit too & susspect that some didn't like the idea . . . guilt sucks that way I guess. The idea of armed poor is scary when you buy your Volvo by robbing the poor. ack, must step away from the soapbox. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:55 pm 

Macx wrote:
Not entirely sure that isn't part of why I am unemployed now. Not the mouth shut part, so much as wearing the wrong t-shirts (like the TCC T-Shirt) to work. I suppose I did advocate equal rights for poor folk a bit too & susspect that some didn't like the idea . . . guilt sucks that way I guess. The idea of armed poor is scary when you buy your Volvo by robbing the poor. ack, must step away from the soapbox. . .

LOL. Understood. It's an interesting line to walk between trying to help those that can't help themselves, advocating public safety in dealing with true predators, and choosing to defend yourself and family against possibly some of your old/present clients. Fun.

I haven't kept my mouth shut always and some heated discussions have ensued....can't convince those that don't listen or pull their heads out of the sand...or other places.

Post subject: Re: Harrasment & Drawing
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
My plan was basically to tell him to @#$% off and leave us alone if he continued coming towards us... which would shortly be followed by drawing my weapon. Thankfully he saw someone else to harass, and we continued on our way.

Considering a past experience I've had, some of these folks seem to be completely unfazed by having a firearm pointed at them. So a situation could quickly develop with them being shot.

I read a rule of thumb once: I don't even know if it applies to MN, but it could well apply to Hennepin Cty.
Quote:
Drawing your weapon will cost you $10,000. Firing your weapon will cost you $20,000. Hitting somone will cost you $40,000. Killing someone will cost you $80,000.

The costs quoted are lawyer's fees, court costs, lost wages, etc..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:58 am 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
I read a rule of thumb once: I don't even know if it applies to MN, but it could well apply to Hennepin Cty.
Quote:
Drawing your weapon will cost you $10,000. Firing your weapon will cost you $20,000. Hitting somone will cost you $40,000. Killing someone will cost you $80,000.

The costs quoted are lawyer's fees, court costs, lost wages, etc..

I agree with the statement you posted. I will add however a truism my father told me while I was learning how to drive, but is applicable to most aspects of life.

Quote:
You hesitate, you die.

Make your desicison and do it. If you feel you need to draw, then do it. If you feel you need to run, then do it. Confidence in action will help every situation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:27 am 

bkrafft wrote:

How will drawing your weapon cost you $10,000? I should be able to draw my weapon anywhere in the state without any legal problems as long as I don't point it at anyone, or use it in a threatening manner.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
...as long as I don't point it at anyone, or use it in a threatening manner.
To some people, your mere possession of it would be equivalent to pointing it at them and threatening them. It might cost you some, to clear that up... :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:09 pm 

ironbear wrote:
gyrfalcon wrote:
...as long as I don't point it at anyone, or use it in a threatening manner.
To some people, your mere possession of it would be equivalent to pointing it at them and threatening them. It might cost you some, to clear that up... :(

So has this happened to a lot of folks who open carry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Maybe not in this particular situation, but I have found a command voice to be something that is very useful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.