Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Masked men rob Minneapolis chiropractic clinic, customers 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:00 pm 
First-time poster

Longtime lurker .. first time poster. :-)

I am a new permit holder and I have recently been thinking about what I would do in this scenario ... an armed holdup where the criminals shake down any customers that happen to be on the scene. The instant in time when the criminal demands any valuables seems like the point at which a critical decision must be made. I understand that I can't use force to protect my property .. but what if the criminal realizes that I have a weapon .. isn't this likely to force an escalation?

For this example, let's ignore the fact that the weapon in this case was indeed a BB gun and assume it was really something more lethal.

I would be interested to hear how other more experienced permit holders and instructors would handle this situation.

Thank for any insight ..

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was about to make note of the fact that the individuals named by State Farm Insurance in the suspected insurance fraud might resemble the list of the hijackers who took over the Lithuanian cargo ship not too long ago but I decided not to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

kgp wrote:
I understand that I can't use force to protect my property .. but what if the criminal realizes that I have a weapon .. isn't this likely to force an escalation?

If he's got a gun pointed at you, or is otherwise threatening you, you aren't protecting your property, you're protecting your life. There is no such thing as escalation when your life is in jeopardy.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

kgp wrote:
Longtime lurker .. first time poster. :-)

I am a new permit holder and I have recently been thinking about what I would do in this scenario ... an armed holdup where the criminals shake down any customers that happen to be on the scene. The instant in time when the criminal demands any valuables seems like the point at which a critical decision must be made. I understand that I can't use force to protect my property .. but what if the criminal realizes that I have a weapon .. isn't this likely to force an escalation?

For this example, let's ignore the fact that the weapon in this case was indeed a BB gun and assume it was really something more lethal.

I would be interested to hear how other more experienced permit holders and instructors would handle this situation.

Thank for any insight ..

Kevin

I think for me, if somebody is willing to threaten me at gunpoint for my valuables, the valuables no longer have anything to do with the situation. Great bodily harm has been brought to the table already. What you do after that is justified, whether you give up what you possess or if you fight back. For your scenario anyway.

If you see no gun at the time, and the guy just tells you "I'll kill you", then things get a little more fuzzy for me.

Welcome to the long list of posters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:20 pm 

I don't know about anyone else, but if somebody shoots me with a BB gun, I am likely to get very pissed off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:19 am 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
My sister is currently a student at Northwestern Health Sciences University. She's got about 5 months left before she's a Chiropractor herself.

Perhaps some of the instructors would like to set up a carry class for Chiropractors/Chiro Students.... I could work on the sis to get some of her friends/co-workers signed up.

Bump for the second page, I spoke with my sister tonight and she said she'd mention it to her friends/fellow students.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Absolutely. If any Chiropractor's office wants to be a gathering place, I can give a group a very attractive rate.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.