Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:11 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Masked men rob Minneapolis chiropractic clinic, customers 
 Post subject: Masked men rob Minneapolis chiropractic clinic, customers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:55 pm 

Masked men rob Minneapolis chiropractic clinic, customers
Last update: October 7, 2008 - 6:56 PM

Police are looking for three men who stormed a downtown Minneapolis chiropractic office Tuesday and tied up and robbed the owner and several customers who walked in.

One of the intuders was wearing a Halloween mask, similar to the one worn in the movie "Scream," when they went into the office on the 1500 block of LaSalle Avenue about 10:30 a.m, said Minneapolis police spokesman Sgt. Jesse Garcia.

As they tied up the owner, three other people came into the clinic. All of the victims were tied up and robbed of wallets, jewelry and keys.

The owner was shot in the head with a BB gun the robbers were using, but he was not seriously injured, Garcia said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Too bad a permit holder wasn't there...carrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

My sister is currently a student at Northwestern Health Sciences University. She's got about 5 months left before she's a Chiropractor herself.

Perhaps some of the instructors would like to set up a carry class for Chiropractors/Chiro Students.... I could work on the sis to get some of her friends/co-workers signed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:09 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

Don't bother contacting the school. The main campus is compliantly posted.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Why a chiropractic clinic? Disgruntled patient? I'd think most chiro patients would pay by credit card, making the cash take rather low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Tick Slayer wrote:
Why a chiropractic clinic? Disgruntled patient? I'd think most chiro patients would pay by credit card, making the cash take rather low.

Well you don't have to be particularly smart to be a criminal.

That aside how many stories do you recall where the cash take of a basic armed robbery is anything extraordinary? (that is where ordinary = not much)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:04 am 
Longtime Regular

ree wrote:
Tick Slayer wrote:

Well you don't have to be particularly smart to be a criminal.

That aside how many stories do you recall where the cash take of a basic armed robbery is anything extraordinary? (that is where ordinary = not much)

True, how smart is a criminal that robs a place armed with a BB gun? Might as well walk in with your bare hands if a fight breaks out. That or prey on victims ignorant of what a real gun looks like. Most should have seen the non-affect of the owner being shot in the head with it. At that point I'd seriously consider taking my chances with the young man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:28 am 
Longtime Regular

These criminals were just starting out, give them a break, lol Maybe with what money they would steal, they were going to buy a gun :lol:

[edit: The size games are getting pretty annoying and petty. Please use with discretion and restraint - PLB]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:32 am 
Longtime Regular

EJSG19 wrote:
True, how smart is a criminal that robs a place armed with a BB gun? Might as well walk in with your bare hands if a fight breaks out. That or prey on victims ignorant of what a real gun looks like. Most should have seen the non-affect of the owner being shot in the head with it. At that point I'd seriously consider taking my chances with the young man.

I've thought about this many times. Even for a gun nut like myself, I wonder if I'd be able to discern the lethality of the attacker's weapon in a fast-moving and dynamic situation like that. BB gun bores are .177 correct? That's not so far off from looking like a .22. It could even be a .17HMR (does that come in pistol form?). You're not going to have the chance to take a good look at it and decide how big a hole it's going to make.

If it looks like a gun and is being treated as a gun, I'm going to to regard it as a gun and respond accordingly. To think I often feel under-prepared carrying my .380 around! If only all armed robbers used Crossmans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:40 am 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:

I've thought about this many times. Even for a gun nut like myself, I wonder if I'd be able to discern the lethality of the attacker's weapon in a fast-moving and dynamic situation like that. BB gun bores are .177 correct? That's not so far off from looking like a .22. It could even be a .17HMR (does that come in pistol form?). You're not going to have the chance to take a good look at it and decide how big a hole it's going to make.

If it looks like a gun and is being treated as a gun, I'm going to to regard it as a gun and respond accordingly. To think I often feel under-prepared carrying my .380 around! If only all armed robbers used Crossmans.

No doubt the world would be a safer place if we were all limited to Daisy Red Riders :) A pair of safety glasses and we'd all be bullet proof.

My little scenario there still has too many variables to give a hard fast rule of what I'd do every time. In that case though, some people actually should have seen the gun being fired, and the lack of the owner's head opening up. Only then would I consider rushing the guy. I agree completely, diameter of bore is not a safe way to judge the lethality of a gun for sure and I hope most realize that.

I have no interest in finding out what a .22 or .17 HMR will do to my body/internal organs. On the other hand if somebody peppers me with a BB gun and I have my wits about me, things could turn out differently. Hopefully the majority of would be victims have the backbone to resist a barrage of copper plated bb's flying at less than 400 fps.

Second, if I was already tied up like the actual story, I guess I probably wouldn't have much to say about the situation.

*edit for spelling*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Any one know the name of the doctor?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Any one know the name of the doctor?

Very probably:

ARTUR GUZHAGIN
Loring Park Chiropractic
1501 Lasalle Ave #LL
Minneapolis, MN 55403
(612) 870-1800

https://www.hlb.state.mn.us/chi/publica ... ?Pid=10527
http://www.wellsphere.com/local-resourc ... /id/306800
http://da.sos.state.mn.us/minnesota/cor ... oring+park

The chiropractor appears to have falsified some billing records, apparently trying to bilk an insurance company.

www.cousineaulaw.com/images/court577.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

My money is on:

Lorin Park Center‎
1501 LaSalle Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, hell. I wasn't going to post as much info as Andrew, but since he did, I'll post a frickin picture of the joint. :P

(LL means Lower Level)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:40 pm 

macphisto wrote:
It could even be a .17HMR (does that come in pistol form?).

Taurus makes a .17hmr revolver. It's fairly sizable, it could be mistaken for a "normal" caliber if you don't look at the end of the barrel.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.