Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 School leases part of facility? 
 Post subject: School leases part of facility?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:59 pm 

Hi all,

I was at the Lino Lakes City Hall the other day and this was posted on the door:

According to Minnesota State Law, firearms are not allowed on premises because part of this facility is leased by the Centennial School District.

I know they can't post this public building and I know that buildings entirely under control of a school are considered as a school but if a school leases part of a facility does that make all firearms off limits through out the facility? The police department is also in this building. I guess they leave their firearms in the squad cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Section 609.66 Dangerous Weapons
Subdivision 1d. Possession on School Property:
(a) Whoever possesses, stores, or keeps a dangerous weapon or uses or brandishes a replica or a BB gun while knowingly on school property is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to 2 years in prison and / or a $5,000.00 fine.

(b) whoever possesses, stores or keeps a replica firearm or a BB gun on school property is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

(c ) Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), it is a misdemeanor for a person authorized to carry a firearm under the provisions of a permit or otherwise to carry a firearm on or about the person’s clothing while knowingly on school property. A firearm carried in violation IS NOT subject to forfeiture.

School Property means:
1.) A public or private elementary, middle or secondary school building and its improved grounds whether leased or owned by the school.
2.) A licensed child care center during the period that the children are present and participating in a child care program.
3.) The area within a school bus when the bus is being used by a school to transport students including curricular co-curricular non-curricular extra curricular and supplementary activities.
4.) The portion of a building or facility under the temporary, exclusive control of a public or private school or district or a association of such entities when conspicuous signs are prominently posted at each entrance that gives actual notice to a person of a school related use.
5.)This subdivision does not apply to:
Persons authorized to carry a pistol under section 624.714 while in a motor vehicle or outside the motor vehicle to directly place a firearm in, or retrieve it from the trunk or rear area of the vehicle.
A person who keeps or stores in a motor vehicle pistols in accordance with section 624.714 or 624.715.

Just the portion used exclusively by the school and signed as such. for ex: the community center near me has a day care in it. Those areas are a school. The rest is a public building and not subject to posting.

Last edited by plblark on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:05 pm 

Thanks. That is what I thought. I think it is time I re-read those statutes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.