Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:34 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Carrying in the cold 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:54 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Tell me about these?

I got them at Sportsman's Warehouse, I think. Unfortunately I have no idea who made them. They feel kind of like nylon, thin leather pads on the fingers and palm, and breathe so my sweaty hands don't get cold. They work for me, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:45 pm 

Porkie wrote:
Rand: may I suggest that your gal needs a Kel-Tec P3AT .380? Look for a used one; get an Uncle Mike’s pocket holster. Carry her gun in your coat pocket like you do her lipstick when she has on a cocktail dress. I suggest the GunStop in Minnetonka. Larry makes the market on used stuff like that.

There are three corollaries to this:
Use your S&W to train her. Do NOT let her shoot the Kel-Tec.
When she has children she WILL awaken to the need for HER to take care of them if the need arises. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. She can get her permit then. Refer to the commentary on this elsewhere.
Additionally, you both need a stash. So you don’t have to involve her in those things where she has nothing to contribute and if it’s girly stuff the shoe is on the other foot. Trust me on this one.

Regards, Porkie

Why can't she shoot the Kel-Tec?

She is interested in shooting more. She already hunts and has been around firearms her whole life. She has plenty of deer and bird kills and is a pretty good shot. Again, she would like to shoot more, but hasn't had the time/money nor seen the need. She as made comments about getting her carry permit and a "cutie, little pistol", however we haven't found the funds.

We have a 1 year old son together and I have a 5 year old son from my previous marriage. She is well aware and supportive of the need to protect the family. It all comes down to money. If I wasn't paying 50% of my paycheck to my ex-wife for the court screwing I took in the divorce and child support, I wouldn't be in this financial situation...but that is another story for the father's rights forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Golf gloves is the grey man's version of shooting gloves work also. If you need to wear gloves. Very thin but does provide some protection.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've got some Sealskinz Ultra Grip gloves I got at REI, they're great. They're the first warm gloves I've owned that let me dig my keys out of my jeans pocket while wearing them, and they're super grippy, nice for driving. The only down side is they're a little bit of a pain to put on & take off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:53 pm 

Mechanix gloves work well. They offer protection and a little warmth in having a layer between your hands and the cold. They have no insulation and the look is a little loud.

Neumann gloves are also good. I use to wear them Pheasant hunting. The winter version is insulated but mostly on the back of the hand. That way you get warmth without sacrificing dexterity. Styling is a little loud with these too.

Filson Goat Skin gloves are my current favorite for cold weather shotgunning. They'd be OK for pistols too.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:23 pm 
Journeyman Member

Dear Rand: My comments weren’t intended to offend you. They were simply offered in effort to help you by answering the question you asked. Actually, since you don’t have a Kel-Tec nor the means to get one, the whole question is somewhat moot, wouldn’t you say?

Anyway my original point was if she needs to learn to shoot, use your service pistol. The Kel-Tec is nothing to introduce to a beginner.

All that said, we have a Kel-Tec .380 in the family. It doesn’t look like much but so far it has worked very well and it’s actually a very powerful and compact unit for its price, less than $200 new in our case; and I’ve seen them for less as used ones. If you put some of the Cor-Bon with the copper bullets in there you can ruin someone’s day with one. In my case I have a wife, three daughters, and three grown granddaughters, all trained and well armed. I’m definitely not allergic to competent women.

So with amplification, my advice to actually get a Kel-Tec at some point stands.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:43 am 

Porkie wrote:
Dear Rand: My comments weren’t intended to offend you...
Regards, Porkie

No worries, I'm not offended. I was just curious. I am not as well versed in firearms as I would like to be. I have fired most of the popular revolvers and semi-autos, but when it comes to guns like Kel-Tec I know nothing (probably know nothing anyway, but I like to give myself the benefit of the doubt once in awhile). Looks like I am going to have to go rent one to learn a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Hmm. I have leather dress gloves (warmish, but not a great fit - too floppy), police "search" gloves (Kevlar fingers, very good fit, not warm), and Thinsulate-lined leather gloves (warm, no dexterity).

The leather does stretch a bit once they are broken in. I've found if I buy them about a size smaller, so they are pretty tight at first, they'll soon stretch to about a perfect fit.

Post subject: Re: Carrying in the cold
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Rand McNally wrote:
I was out and about this past weekend and carried for my second time. I don't go out much and I can't carry at work so I typically don't carry much. Plus my holster is a POS and I can't afford to get a new one yet (come on Christmas!). Anyway, it was kind of cold on Saturday and I started dressing up for the cold weather and I started wondering, if I was in a situation where I needed to draw, could I with all these clothes/gloves on?

What say you?

The trick in winter time, or any time for that matter, is to not get yourself into a situation where you have to fast draw like in the old west to save your life. If you are practicing situational awareness and avoidance techniques, and with a little luck this should never happen. Beyond that it is a tradeoff. Wear heavy warm gloves and you can’t handle a gun well. Wear thin pliable gloves so you can feel and handle a gun and your hands get cold. I wear thin pliable gloves and keep my hands in my pockets for warmth or wear mittens over them that I can shed fast. Often the gun is in my jacket pocket too, not in a holster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Need a holster
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:47 am 
Journeyman Member

kimberman wrote:
Rand,

What gun do you need a holster for. I have a large box full of holsters I never use. I suspect most TCCers have a box too.

Kimberman,
I need a holster for a Sig 229. If you have anything that would work I have another holster I could trade to you. I think it's for a SW semi-auto.
Cam

Post subject: Re: Carrying in the cold
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

havegunjoe wrote:
The trick in winter time, or any time for that matter, is to not get yourself into a situation where you have to fast draw like in the old west to save your life.

Footing, for example, is often iffy outdoors during winter. Weird footing can interfere with any number of things, including a draw. I'd bet money, if I had any, that drawing a gun shifts the gun handler's weight anywhere from a tiny bit to a great deal.

Gravity. It's the law. ;)

So reducing the chances of needing to run or draw fast (or draw at all, actually) by practicing situational awareness sounds like a Very Good Idea to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:04 am 
On time out

forcold weather carry buy some cold weather softball or golf gloves. Bob Allen cold weather shot gunning gloves work too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:07 pm 

Various folks have pointed this out to me, and I've found it to be quite true...

The colder it gets, the less you'll probably find yourself in a position where you need to draw your weapon.

Also some of the nomex Blackhawk gloves are pretty junky from what I've experienced, and you'll probably have issues with the stitching. Right now I've come to like Ironclad work gloves:

https://www.ironclad.com

They've come out with a tactical line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:13 pm 
Journeyman Member

Quote:
Why can't she shoot the Kel-Tec?

She is interested in shooting more. She already hunts and has been around firearms her whole life. She has plenty of deer and bird kills and is a pretty good shot. Again, she would like to shoot more, but hasn't had the time/money nor seen the need. She as made comments about getting her carry permit and a "cutie, little pistol", however we haven't found the funds.

I own a Kel-Tec 9mm cannot remember the model right now.

Its not the preatiest little pistol but it is nice and small fits in jacket pockets and fits in my overall pockets for snowmobiling and ice fishing. Only thing i wish was different was the sights are little cheap and need a little bit of sighting in and practice. I payed 350 for it and would mind getting one more in .380. It is also the warmest pistol I own to carry in the winter. My other larger pistols get really cold in the winter. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:19 pm 

On the gloves issue...

I got myself some Damascus duty gloves from Streichers. Not the best winter gloves, but work ok for driving and when not sledding down hills.

They're neoprene with a leather palm. Reinforced finger tips on all but the trigger finger.

Here's the best part. $12.99. Lost my last pair, so I stopped in on Monday to get a new pair. Not in stock at the store, but had them at the distribution center. Because they had to send them to me, they didn't charge me shipping, and I had them by this am.

Streicher's is a great place to shop for such things.

MM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.