Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Carrying in the cold 
 Post subject: Carrying in the cold
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:22 am 

I was out and about this past weekend and carried for my second time. I don't go out much and I can't carry at work so I typically don't carry much. Plus my holster is a POS and I can't afford to get a new one yet (come on Christmas!). Anyway, it was kind of cold on Saturday and I started dressing up for the cold weather and I started wondering, if I was in a situation where I needed to draw, could I with all these clothes/gloves on?

What say you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Yep - tricky business. It's a good argument for carrying in the pocket of your outermost garment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Pffft, global warming should kick in here any minute and you'll realize you have wasted your time. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:38 am 
Wise Elder

Rand,

What gun do you need a holster for. I have a large box full of holsters I never use. I suspect most TCCers have a box too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cold weather is good pocket carry weather. With gloves on is always a problem so pocket carry in a coat with an ungloved hand works great.

But like Kimberman said, which gun and I'm sure we can help you out.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:27 pm 

I have a S&W Sigma 40.

Yes, I would love to get a pocket carry firearm. I have been applying for a budge request with the "budget director", but she keeps denying the application. Something about filling it out is triplicate, misspelling, etc. hehehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 am 
Journeyman Member

Rand: may I suggest that your gal needs a Kel-Tec P3AT .380? Look for a used one; get an Uncle Mike’s pocket holster. Carry her gun in your coat pocket like you do her lipstick when she has on a cocktail dress. I suggest the GunStop in Minnetonka. Larry makes the market on used stuff like that.

There are three corollaries to this:
Use your S&W to train her. Do NOT let her shoot the Kel-Tec.
When she has children she WILL awaken to the need for HER to take care of them if the need arises. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. She can get her permit then. Refer to the commentary on this elsewhere.
Additionally, you both need a stash. So you don’t have to involve her in those things where she has nothing to contribute and if it’s girly stuff the shoe is on the other foot. Trust me on this one.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:05 am 

I'll second the need to get her shooting too, if you haven't already. It works wonderfully, eventually you'll be getting not only permission but budgeting help to swing that 1911 you both want.

On winter carrying, I still use my OWB, instead of zipping my jacket I snap it up and if I need gloves I have very thin very warm gloves that I can work my gun with.

If its so cold that I need to zip... I don't spend too much time outside then.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:23 am 
Longtime Regular

ttreml3 wrote:
...I have very thin very warm gloves that I can work my gun with...

Tell me about these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Squib Joe once showed me some nomex Blackhawk gloves. I put them on and could pick up a dime off the glass counter at the store.

I didn't buy them. But that's because I love wearing my gloves made from the deers I done kilt.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Nomex gloves are great, if they fit your fingers. The only problem is that they aren't very warm.

I have a phobia that makes me worry about losing control of my steering wheel if I am wearing gloves. I have found that neopropaline (sp) gloves made for fishing or duck hunting cover all my bases for winter gloves. The neopro gloves are tight, warm-ish, give very good dexterity and provide good manipulation with the fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:54 am 
Longtime Regular

I find that there's very few days in a season when I really need to zip up my coat, and in that kind of weather there's very little street crime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
ttreml3 wrote:
...I have very thin very warm gloves that I can work my gun with...

Tell me about these?

Get a pair of leather "dress" gloves. They are cut out any wind and they are generally warm enough to the winter months. But they are also thin enough that you can still work a trigger and once they are a little worn, you can feel enough with your fingers to know what you're doing.

Now if you work outside for hours at a time during the winter, that's probably another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmm. I have leather dress gloves (warmish, but not a great fit - too floppy), police "search" gloves (Kevlar fingers, very good fit, not warm), and Thinsulate-lined leather gloves (warm, no dexterity).

I think I'll have to try some neproene gloves: http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1400.php

My solution has been to wear the cop gloves and keep some incredibly warm suede-and-fleece mittens in my coat pocket. If I get caught out, I can wear the gloves inside the mittens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

There's a solution to cold weather shooting. Shoot more freqently and make that gun a heater. :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.