Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Court house carry 
 Post subject: Court house carry
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:09 pm 

I know this topic has been discussed before and I tried researching it using the search function but that seems to yield too many results to be useful.

According to my research, Mn. statute 609.66 1g(1) seems to indicate that it is a felony to carry in a courthouse complex. It also indicates that you may carry if you have a permit and have notified the sheriff.

Is this correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Correct. Barring any court order not to do so. You do not want to be found in contempt of court. I would also suggest you notify the sheriff with certified mail so you would have proof the notification was done.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:53 am 

I just ran across Andrew's post from Oct. 3rd which reaffirms my 609.66 observation but I still can't figure how that squares with 624.714 subd. 17(b)(4) which, in part, stipulates that posting can only be done by a private, "nongovernmental entity". This seems to indicate that courthouses cannot post or prohibit carry, 609.66 notwithstanding. Hmmm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I may be wrong, but I think courthouses are pointed out as prohibited in the law. They're not prohibited because of the posting but because they're prohibited in the law. The exception being that permit holders who have notified the sheriff may carry there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup. Hennepin, Ramsey, Olmsted (Rochester) and St. Louis (Duluth), Meeker, Beltrami, and Stearns counties have such court orders. There are others as well, but those are the ones I know.

[updated 11/4/08]

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I wonder what the judges would do for a contempt sanction. Fine? Jail? Surrender of the firearm?

Any test cases yet?

My county has a court order. It's never been violated to my knowledge. We have security screening at the public entrance, and I have never found anyone carrying who was not authorized.

Our judges have said that LEO's may only carry if they're working while in the courthouse. Any LEO appearing on non work-related stuff (divorces, etc.) must disarm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:28 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Quote:
Yup. Hennepin, Ramsey, Olmsted (Rochester) and St. Louis (Duluth) counties have such court orders. There are others as well, but those are the ones I know.

Add to that list Stearns County courthouses in total, and Dakota County, to the extent that the judge's order covers something like (paraphrased) the actual courtrooms and the hallways immediately adjacent.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Add Beltrami

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:45 am 

I'm still trying to get a handle on this. When you talk about "court order", does that mean that even if you mail notification to the Sheriff, that you cannot carry, even as a permit holder? Or does it mean that 609.66 is in effect only with a court order?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

It means, even with notice, the judges have taken it upon themselves to issue Court orders banning carry. In essence, this is using the courts' powers of contempt of court and court orders to impose something denied them by the legislature.

Sound like a failure of checks and balances to anyone else?

to be clear:
Without notice, it's a FELONY and a crime based upon State LAW
With notice, it's completely legal EXCEPT if there's a court order
With a court order AND notice, it's a contempt of court citation and not a more serious CRIME. Expect it to be hard to fight ... remember, the judges gave themselves this power and a judge will be the one to decide if you're in contempt ... :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Add Meeker

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had occasion to contest a license tab citation and went to the Ramsey County court thingie in Maplewood. I disarmed and locked the weapon in the trunk of the car. I entered, shed myself of what I thought were all the things in my pockets, and proceeded through the metal detector.

The detector immediately alarmed and so did the nice Ramsey County deputy sheriff's who were on-duty at the door. It seems that I had forgotten the 2.5" folding pocket knive I carry to cut small twine, clean fingernails, and do battle with Boxelder bugs.

The incident had all the earmarks of turning into a major kerfluffle (deputies getting off of their chairs, one coming from behind me, etc.).

I was made to fill out an envelope, which they marked with my DL number, and then allowed entry. I retrieved the item later on exiting but only after showing my DL.

I do not believe I would carry within a Ramsey County court even with permission and prior notification. They seem very protective of where the Kangaroo's dispense justice.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.