Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 University custodian fights off robbers 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:50 pm 

They should dump this pacifist tai chi teacher and employ a Hapkido instructor or a Krav Maga instructor...

This gal teaches Comply-like-sheep-do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 am 
Longtime Regular

In the hand-to-hand combat part of basic training one of the first things the drill sergeants told us was "If you're going up against an attacker with a knife, you're going to get cut. The purpose of fighting back is to limit how badly they cut you and to prevent them from killing you."

I know that was used in the context of combat, but today it seems as relevant in day to day life.

(I know nobody has made the roll over and play dead comment in this thread yet, but:) As a consideration, if it's absolutely necessary for you to go to a disarmed victim zone where carry is 100% prohibited (courthouse, police station, school, etc... ) and you lock your carry firearm in your vehicle safe to be in compliance with the law, how compliant are you gonna be with a demand to hand your keys over to an attacker between the carry prohibited building and your car? Keep in mind that you're handing them the vehicle and the keys to the safe if there are any; otherewise you're giving them ample time to work on the safe at their leisure in an isolated location.

I myself am gonna get cut in that case. Probably pretty badly. If I'm with my girlfriend, I'll defend her to my last breath. If I'm alone I'll try to make a prudent retreat to a safe distance or at least till I can find an improvised weapon. I choose to fight. Aggressively. That choice may save other lives.

But that sonofabitch is not driving away in my vehicle. (And anyone who has seen my vehicle knows that it falling into the wrong hands would be decidedly bad.)

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:31 am 
Raving Moderate

Inebrius wrote:
They should dump this pacifist tai chi teacher and employ a Hapkido instructor or a Krav Maga instructor...

This gal teaches Comply-like-sheep-do

Actually, if you read the thread, she's a Shotokan Karate instructor.

In any case "T'ai Chi" does NOT necessarily equal "pacifist"; I'll grant you that the hippy-dippy crowd tends to practice a form of T'ai Chi in that manner, but I assure you that you want no part of any of my T'ai Chi instructors- it may look like dancing in slow motion, but it's deadly serious when done by someone trained in the martial applications of it.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am 

sarcasm
One entry found.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm
synonyms see wit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:07 pm 

Krav Maga

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xhKjpdWyYMc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xhKjpdWyYMc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hapkido

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yZihj8Fi98&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yZihj8Fi98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:12 pm 
Raving Moderate

Inebrius wrote:
sarcasm
One entry found.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm
synonyms see wit

Well, that makes two of us who can use a dictionary. Congratulations.

Inebrius wrote:
Krav Maga
Hapkido

Your point? I'm familiar with them- seen some interesting demos. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China, your issues with T'ai Chi, or, for that matter, anything else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

What a nation of pansies we have become. “Minnesota Police Department recommends compliance in situations like these, but that self defense is allowed”, well gee thanks Mr. Police officer. I sure am glad that I can defend myself and you allow it. Mr. Acevedo is a hero if you ask me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:08 pm 
Journeyman Member

If you think we’re pansies over this issue, you should be privy to plans for attending to future outrages in schools and universities. In both they get their leadership from the academic staff. Zero tolerance among adults so to say. Even in the presence of active evil. That’s nth order sissiness. And various kinds of open hand skills won’t serve us too well there either, except to the extent the planning is adjusted to Mr. Acevedo’s standards of conduct.

As an aside, I didn’t mean to gore anyone’s ox, but until our colleague here advised us differently, I didn’t know anything at all about Tai Chi except that buff black guy with a bunch of fat ladies back there punching the air. I didn’t know anybody else did it, hence I used it (wrongly) in my example. Sorry.

and regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Porkie wrote:
As an aside, I didn’t mean to gore anyone’s ox, but until our colleague here advised us differently, I didn’t know anything at all about Tai Chi except that buff black guy with a bunch of fat ladies back there punching the air. I didn’t know anybody else did it, hence I used it (wrongly) in my example.

:shock: You mean Billy Blanks' Tae Bo? (Which is pretty useless as a self defense system and encourages poor form likely to result in self-injury

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:33 am 
Raving Moderate

Porkie wrote:
If you think we’re pansies over this issue, you should be privy to plans for attending to future outrages in schools and universities. In both they get their leadership from the academic staff. Zero tolerance among adults so to say. Even in the presence of active evil. That’s nth order sissiness. And various kinds of open hand skills won’t serve us too well there either, except to the extent the planning is adjusted to Mr. Acevedo’s standards of conduct.

As an aside, I didn’t mean to gore anyone’s ox, but until our colleague here advised us differently, I didn’t know anything at all about Tai Chi except that buff black guy with a bunch of fat ladies back there punching the air. I didn’t know anybody else did it, hence I used it (wrongly) in my example. Sorry.

and regards, Porkie

Right on all counts- our planning for an active shooter is basically, "lock doors". Which is a fine plan- it makes life SO much easier for the shooter. :evil:

Ox not gored. :wink: T'ai Chi is practiced by many people for many reasons, and a lot of hippy types practice a form completely stripped of any martial use at all- IMHO, a travesty, but that's their thing. Tae Bo is, as Tick mentioned, something else entirely.

My post was not meant to offend, merely to inform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:29 pm 

Jeremiah wrote:
T'ai Chi is practiced by many people for many reasons, and a lot of hippy types practice a form completely stripped of any martial use at all- IMHO, a travesty, but that's their thing.

So you take exception to a sarcastic remark but then post this... Jeeesh...

I practice 2 forms of Martial Arts (Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido) for a reason. Some forms are just better for certain situations than others.

Most of the standup martial arts are great but some are designed for close quarters combat and have moves geared to deal with an armed opponent. For instance Krav Maga was developed for the Israeli army to deal with close quarters combat. It doesn't require the amount of dedicated training to master that almost all Asian martial arts require.

Forgive my ignorance but I've never seen Tai Chi practiced as a combat art. In fact I was looking into Tai Chi for stress relief and strengthening my back. I've had back problems for years. While TKD/Hapkido strength training has helped tremendously I'm looking for something that will really stretch and realign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:34 am 
Raving Moderate

Inebrius wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
T'ai Chi is practiced by many people for many reasons, and a lot of hippy types practice a form completely stripped of any martial use at all- IMHO, a travesty, but that's their thing.

So you take exception to a sarcastic remark but then post this... Jeeesh...

I practice 2 forms of Martial Arts (Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido) for a reason. Some forms are just better for certain situations than others.

Most of the standup martial arts are great but some are designed for close quarters combat and have moves geared to deal with an armed opponent. For instance Krav Maga was developed for the Israeli army to deal with close quarters combat. It doesn't require the amount of dedicated training to master that almost all Asian martial arts require.

Forgive my ignorance but I've never seen Tai Chi practiced as a combat art. In fact I was looking into Tai Chi for stress relief and strengthening my back. I've had back problems for years. While TKD/Hapkido strength training has helped tremendously I'm looking for something that will really stretch and realign.

I didn't take exception- I merely clarified. I'm sorry if you chose to read it as offense. It wasn't. :wink:

Just about *any* martial arts training is better than none, in this circumstance. I'll grant you that the harder, external styles (TKD and Hapkido among them) have a great deal to recommend them in self defense. They're just not the only approach.

My own personal take on MA in general (and this is from the perspective of someone with some, but not super-extensive experience), is that I want to learn as much as I can, from as many traditions as possible. No one has "the answer"- many folks have answers that work for them.

OK- enough pissing in each other's Wheaties for one week, eh? :wink:

PM me for contact info for my T'ai Chi instructor, if you'd like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:35 am 
Longtime Regular

You all should really look into Rex Kwon Do:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PKmUsVeKp1o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PKmUsVeKp1o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Break the wrist, and walk away"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am 

DeanC wrote:
You all should really look into Rex Kwon Do:..."Break the wrist, and walk away"

Thanks, but I think I'll stick with high speed metal ninjutsu . :lol:

Quote:
In any case, Bendickson has a fat lip, a sore forehead, bruised legs, miscellaneous dings on her body and arms. And, to be sure, a large medal on a red, white and blue ribbon.

She's good. She really is.

I would put 5k down on my little brother kicking her butt, and he weighs less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Quote:
...It's not a pulled punch; it's a full-power, full- extension punch that stops just short of the target.
Ouch, that sounds like it would hurt the puncher.

It doesn't. Proper technique is your friend. :D They not only want to see power, but control as well. It's uncontrolled power that gets people hurt. One of the core values is after all, self-control...

Inebrius wrote:

Her "pacifist" statements, that your life and health aren't worth losing over "stuff", are shared by many "pacifists" here on this board. What's to argue about her statement, unless you are looking for reasons to kick ass and bust heads? Even if you think that there should be consequences to their actions or that you don't want to reinforce criminal behavior, or even that you're pissed and don't want to be taken advantage of; it is no longer self-defense. You're branching out into "punishment".

FWIW, in the hard-soft continuum of martial arts, Shotokan sits solidly on the "hard" end. Even blocks are supposed to break things. Hardly lovey-dovey hand holding territory. A former South Korean soldier I knew, put his daughters into Shotokan because it was was closer to the combat TKD he learned in the military. He thought that American TKD had largely suffered in the translation. I don't know if that was just what was available locally...

gyrfalcon wrote:
I would put 5k down on my little brother kicking her butt, and he weighs less.

Takes a real stand up guy to talk trash about someone you don't know... I wouldn't have put 5k on your brother, 20 years ago when I knew Anita personally. She was considered one of the top female Karate practitioners in the region. She was fast and aggressive, and didn't make it to nationals twice by playing prissy. I don't know what you brother is capable of and I don't really know what Anita has done in the past 20 years, but unless she's gone totally soft, I probably wouldn't put 5k on your brother today. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.