Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Car resgistration/CCW link? 
 Post subject: Car resgistration/CCW link?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 pm 

Sorry if this has been asked, but is the fact that I'm a permit holder linked to my auto registration? IOW if a police officer calls in my license plate is he informed that I am a permit holder?

I ask because my wife and kid's cars are registered to me and I want to tell them if an officer might suspect a weapon. Of course I guess they always suspect a weapon and I would hope they'd feel better knowing there is a permit holder behind the wheel, but who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Both the long and short answer are NO.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:33 pm 
1911 tainted

Moby Clarke wrote:
Both the long and short answer are NO.

What he said. :!:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:35 pm 

Thank you very much. I guess someone misinformed me or I dreamed this up somehow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... 4458#54458

Andrew Rothman wrote:
There is a statewide database, and it is available to law enforcement 24/7.

However, it is not, currently, an automatic part of license plate or driver's license checks. So the answer is that any officer could find out if you have a permit, but will need to call a dispatcher to do so.

Realistically, most cops aren't terrificly concerned about permit holders, and smart ones know that a) any traffic stop might involve an armed driver and 2) those carrying illegally are the ones to be worried about, not those carrying on a permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 pm 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
it is not, currently, an automatic part of license plate or driver's license checks.

Thank you.
This is what I and other instructors have found when asking for our plates or drivers license to be run by local law enforcement.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:16 am 
Forum Moderator

I realize this is an old rehash, but.....to say the answer is "no", I believe, can be misleading. I say rather than "no", it should be .."maybe".

I have been stopped a few times locally and before the officer came to the car they routinely had the database checked ....it may well be a very limited local procedure, but it was done.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe the state can give permit holders a designer plate? Your choice of gun pictured on the plate.

Would keep people from tail gating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:14 am 
Longtime Regular

alternately, it would scream "GUN INSIDE< BREAK IN AND STEAL IT!" if you believe all the internet hype about NRA stickers and etc.

As with all hype, there's some basis in fact to worry about but it gets rediculously over played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

From talking to a few officers in Apple Valley I have determined that they were vaguely aware that they can look this up but weren’t even quite sure how to go about doing it. I don’t think it is a big concern to them. Just tell your wife to answer honestly if she should be asked. I have never had a student tell me they have been asked.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:05 am 
Forum Moderator

I have never had a student tell me they have been asked.

I would assume that as a general principle there is nothing to be gained by asking. A thuig answers "no"...so that gets us nowhere. An honest law abiding person answers "yes"...and immediately everyone is more nervous. Just seems to be no upside to ask.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

phorvick wrote:
I have never had a student tell me they have been asked.

I would assume that as a general principle there is nothing to be gained by asking. A thuig answers "no"...so that gets us nowhere. An honest law abiding person answers "yes"...and immediately everyone is more nervous. Just seems to be no upside to ask.

I ask regularly. I've never had a permit holder who was carrying when I've asked. This time of year, many of the vehicles I stop have rifles in them. I ask it this way, "Do you have any firearms in the passenger compartment of this vehicle?"

For normal traffic enforcement, if I see a cased long gun, I'm not going to check it. If it's a local person of fecal craniality, I might verify that it's not loaded. We have a lot of poachers in the northwoods (along with a lot of deer).

One of our local district court judges threw out a stolen handgun case, after the BG answered the question "Do you have any guns in the car?" by saying there was an pistol in the trunk. BG then gave consent to search.

The gun was stolen, but the judge ruled that the search was beyond the scope of the initial stop (minor traffic violation), and ruled the gun inadmissible. His Honor, BTW, used to be a public defender, and I've often said that if I were guilty, I would want him to be my judge.

Sorry about the thread drift...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
The gun was stolen, but the judge ruled that the search was beyond the scope of the initial stop (minor traffic violation), and ruled the gun inadmissible.

Stupid Constitution ruins everything! Sounds like the judge ruled correctly to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Officers, who are sworn to uphold the Constitution, are actually trained to try to get around the Constitution, by the use of pretextual stops, and searches based on "consent", or "exigent circumstances" or "officer safety" or some other exception.

Our system is upside down, instead of attempting to uphold the law, officers are expected to manipulate the facts so they will not have to follow the law. When manipulating the facts does not work, they usually blame "weak" judges. Now that judges are facing real election challanges, I think this will be a problem.

It takes a strong judge to rule against the majority, and in favor of some known BG in a case like this. But police are going to make judges pay the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
...One of our local district court judges threw out a stolen handgun case, after the BG answered the question "Do you have any guns in the car?" by saying there was an pistol in the trunk. BG then gave consent to search.

The gun was stolen, but the judge ruled that the search was beyond the scope of the initial stop (minor traffic violation), and ruled the gun inadmissible...

I'll disagree with the guys above me, I think an officer asking if there are guns in the car is clearly an officer safety issue, and I doubt he was fishing for illegal or stolen weapons.

Second, how did that work out, was the gun returned to the "bad guy" or the original owner?

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.