Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:54 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 SBR sign off St. Paul 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
If it is a 11.5" barrel I can understand. Doing it for a 14" I am in the same boat as you.
I'm really not sure about that one, either. I can understand the "cool" factor, and I realize that people pay money for "cool" all the time, and I completely get the "piss off the anti" angle, but I am wondering about the practical. What does an 11.5" barrel get you that a 16" doesn't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:52 pm 

White Horseradish wrote:
What does an 11.5" barrel get you that a 16" doesn't?

A louder bang?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:
I am wondering about the practical. What does an 11.5" barrel get you that a 16" doesn't?

Put a shorter flash hider on it (just something to protect the crown) and that will be a 5.5" savings. Just about half a foot.

I think the advantage comes in when you start trying to do interesting things like clear a house, as it will be easier to swing around. The only other practical reason I can think of having one is that it would be lighter and easier to hide/conceal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:54 am 
Longtime Regular

You can have / own a full-auto in MN as long as the gun was built before 1986 (I cant recall the month. May 19?). The issue is, before the ban, you could get a FA for $1K or so. After the ban, some FA guns can cost as much as $40K. Too much for me.

I see the SBR as a novelty item and that is about it. I read that an AR with barrel length less than 14" can be problematic if the gas system isnt tuned-up just right. I would rather have a pump 12GA with pistol grip and 6.5 inch barrel (falls under the ATF class of AOW. Same process as SBR to get one). Looks like this:

White Horseradish wrote:
The question that I have is whether this whole exercise has a point. Are the extra 2 inches off the end of the barrel really worth $200 and a pile of paperwork? Do they make a realistic difference in performance of the rifle?

I can see it for the happy switch, which, if I understand correctly, we can't have in MN, unless it's on a "collector's item". But for an SBR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:52 am 
Journeyman Member

I don't see the use of a 'short barreled rifle' nor an automatic for that matter. The 16 inch works just fine. Especially with bullets that will expand. Or 7.62 bullets in AKs, FNs etc…

To my mind full automatics are nothing but a hobby. And a very expensive one at that.

All that said, everyone should HAVE a battle rifle of some sort. Exercising that right makes more sense than open carry of a handgun.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Porkie wrote:
I don't see the use of...

To my mind...

...everyone should...

That's what's great about this country -- or should be, anyway: people should get to do what works for them, regardless of others' differing opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

Those of us who have an activist bent might work on the goofy laws that regulates such things as 'short barreled rifles' and automatics. They ought to be available with ease to any law abiding citizen who wants one.

My comments are about tactical applications of them not about whether anyone ought if they want to.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:45 pm 

I've been dreaming of an AR-15 SBR with a pistol caliber upper. I went so far as to photoshop a picture of my OlyArms 10mm upper with a collapsible stock and chopped barrel. (Before the collapsible stock became a real-life possibility) Now that I have a 6-pos. stock on it, I'm getting all tingly reading this thread.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tepin, yes, the Sebru is something I have been drooling over since Rico Tubbs made them cool and wearing loafers without socks was . . . but yeah, I want one.

Wants though are one a list, probably going to be shortened by Obama (because wanting and affording are two very different things).

The AMD 65 variant of AK with an original barrel and no goofy extended brake welded on is the SBR I am most interested in. I am thankful for this thread. I had always - only expected to try and get the paperwork pushed through for myself. The trust idea is a worthwhile item for me to contemplate. I'd kind of like to have the tax stamp tied to my whole family rather than just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 am 
Longtime Regular

What if you want a suppressed firearm to clear a house with?

A .223 suppressor will be somewhere in the range of 8" long. Put that on a 16" and you have a 24" upper. No way are you going through a door with that the way you want to. Screwed onto a 11.5" barrel it is still long at 19.5" but at least it is starting to get into the real of reasonable again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
What if you want a suppressed firearm to clear a house with?...

Then you would have to move to a free state. MN is protecting us from assassins by preventing them from having "silencers."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:28 am 
Longtime Regular

but suppressors are verboten in MN. The suppressor is a good argument elsewhere though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Well why do you think I am moving to Colorado? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:26 pm 
Poet Laureate

someone1980 wrote:
Well why do you think I am moving to Colorado? ;)

Taxes?

:lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.