Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 St. Cloud arrest, Permit holder(?), terroristic threats 
 Post subject: St. Cloud arrest, Permit holder(?), terroristic threats
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:13 pm 
First-time poster

A permit holder was arrested today in St. Cloud area. Perhaps more details will emerge but it looks like they are saying "terroristic threats". While there is no brandishing law in MN (that I am aware of) they seem to be trying to get there through the back door. I wonder what the facts will show if they ever come out.

Here's the article that was posted in the St. Cloud Times. http://www.sctimes.com/article/20081117/NEWS01/111170049

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:19 pm 

Show of hands. Is DGU while in a car ever worth it?

(By the way, welcome to the forum.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
A man who police say displayed a gun to two people from Waite Park was arrested under suspicion of making terroristic threats, according to a report from the St. Cloud Police Department.
Advertisement

Joseph Michael Carey, 26, of Rush City was taken to Benton County Jail. Police were sent at 4:39 p.m. Sunday to Minnesota Highway 23 and 14th Avenue Southeast.

A 20-year-old man and 20-year-old woman were in their vehicle when they say a man in a yellow pickup displayed a gun.

They called police and officers stopped the man in the pickup at Highway 23 and Sixth Avenue South. A 9 mm handgun was found under the front seat of Carey’s truck. He had a permit for the gun.

Oh boy, I know the type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
Quote:
A man who police say displayed a gun to two people from Waite Park was arrested under suspicion of making terroristic threats, according to a report from the St. Cloud Police Department.
Advertisement

Joseph Michael Carey, 26, of Rush City was taken to Benton County Jail. Police were sent at 4:39 p.m. Sunday to Minnesota Highway 23 and 14th Avenue Southeast.

A 20-year-old man and 20-year-old woman were in their vehicle when they say a man in a yellow pickup displayed a gun.

They called police and officers stopped the man in the pickup at Highway 23 and Sixth Avenue South. A 9 mm handgun was found under the front seat of Carey’s truck. He had a permit for the gun.

Oh boy, I know the type.

Wasn't me, my yellow toy is away for the winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

"Permit for the gun"?

We have heard this before. Going from the history of the reporters "reporting" in this sort of thing it may very well mean he had a permit to purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:34 pm 

As expected the details are a little vague.

I'm witholding judgement until "displayed" is clarified a bit more; of course, he's already been convicted by the media...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Purchase permit would be my guess as well, just based on how it is phrased.

"Displayed a gun" is troubling. Pointing at them would be assault W/ . . . . my guess is that they are using the Terroristic Threats angle to give dude a prohibiting violation on his record. That crime really needs to be taken off the books, if they can't use it right. It was written for things like bomb threats & they are using it as felony offensive language which is just wrong on so many levels.

I'd like to know what the 20 somethings did to get a look at a gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ok, Who had this wacko in their carry class?? Do you rember him by chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:47 pm 

JimC wrote:

The current theory is he had a 'permit to purchase' - the article is very light on details. Then again, the media would do that intentionally...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Take it easy, Jim.

Imagine this scenario: JimC gets back in his yellow pickup after dropping off some hunting safety class fliers at a local elementary school. He drives away. A mile or so down the road, Jim remembers he disarmed to go into the school. At the next stoplight, Jim opens the glove box safe where his gun is waiting. As he tries to grasp the gun, he clumsily knocks it onto the floorboards just as the light turns green. Rather than grope around on the floor for the gun, Jim decides to wait until he can stop and see the gun properly, so he drives on.

A van pulled up next to Jim during this unfortunate clumsiness. The occupants see a gun and decide Jim must be threatening them. They call 911, their unreasonable fear coloring the report. The police arrest Jim and charge him with terroristic threats.

The next day, the newspaper prints a short description of the incident, which gives an incomplete picture of the event. People prepare their pitchforks, torches, bags of feathers and cauldrons of tar. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

There simply isn't enough information from the story to come to any kind of judgment. While I'm sure that the 20 year old couple was probably on their way to church bingo after dropping of blankets for the homeless, Maybe the "permit" holder misunderstood the young gentleman's aggressive driving as a threat, not understanding that being tailgated at high speeds, flipped off, and screamed at was just the young mans way of hurrying to church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

I believe that we should all await the full story rather than spend time writing fiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

You're amazing! That happened to me in 2006!!

Tick Slayer wrote:
Take it easy, Jim.

Imagine this scenario: JimC gets back in his yellow pickup after dropping off some hunting safety class fliers at a local elementary school. He drives away. A mile or so down the road, Jim remembers he disarmed to go into the school. At the next stoplight, Jim opens the glove box safe where his gun is waiting. As he tries to grasp the gun, he clumsily knocks it onto the floorboards just as the light turns green. Rather than grope around on the floor for the gun, Jim decides to wait until he can stop and see the gun properly, so he drives on.

A van pulled up next to Jim during this unfortunate clumsiness. The occupants see a gun and decide Jim must be threatening them. They call 911, their unreasonable fear coloring the report. The police arrest Jim and charge him with terroristic threats.

The next day, the newspaper prints a short description of the incident, which gives an incomplete picture of the event. People prepare their pitchforks, torches, bags of feathers and cauldrons of tar. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

:lol: To this day I bet you cringe when you see feathers. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:

Yeah, he was in the back with a 12 pack of Busch light and quart of Old Grandad.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.