Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fingerprints - best pd or sheriff 
 Post subject: Fingerprints - best pd or sheriff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:54 pm 

I have to get fingerprinted for some out of state apps. Any place better than the others in the south metro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:51 pm 

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you had to be a local resident to or fall under the jurisdiction of whatever department you went to, but I don't know that to be true.

When I was doing the paperwork for my Florida permit, I went to the PD here in Mendota Heights. There was a non-LEO lady working the desk and she was just as nice as pie, and I was printed free of charge.

I was never asked if I was a resident of MH that I can remember (it was 4 years ago), but she did verify my identity via my DL. I'm not sure if she also "verified" my residency at the same time.

Call around and it might help to have your own cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:38 pm 

I think Dave is correct about doing it at your local PD/SO.

At least that was the case when I had to send mine to the DOJ/FBI for "clarification"

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:39 am 

If one goes down to their local PD/SO to be fingerprinted for an out of state permit, will the local PD/SO add your prints to the criminal database?

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:10 am 

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
If one goes down to their local PD/SO to be fingerprinted for an out of state permit, will the local PD/SO add your prints to the criminal database?

In my situation it wasn't, as I had a paper card that needed ink.

If you get printed by a computer, like Hennepin Co. does, your therory just may happen.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:47 am 
Journeyman Member

In Steele county they have the 'capability' to make digital finger prints but only if you're being booked into the jail. The paper/ink ones are what are offered to the public. Thing is, it is my understanding that the FL permit runs better if the digital ones are sent along.

In my case, it took a great while and I was trying to expedite matters for my wife. I haven't followed back with Sheriff Ringhofer but I'll advise the group when I get the details.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:43 am 

I had mine done about a year ago.

I called my local PD who told me that I did NOT have to get it done there - I could get it done anywhere. They wanted me to make an appointment for later in the week, and in my case I needed it done that day.

I called another town's PD and they said to come on down and they would do it that day. I did go in and the officer who printed me was very friendly. I did ask about the digital prints and they do have the capability to do it that way but apparently some government agencies still want the original print cards.

She did say that even if I had them done digitally they would not be stored - apparently it's some whole other process to add a person to their records that requires sign-off from more than one level...so basically they would have just scanned the prints, printed them out and deleted the record.

I recall that it did cost me $10 - I don't know if that was for the fingerprint cards, the service, or both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:57 am 
Journeyman Member

In this day and age I would guess that finger prints are on file for LOTS of people. FL of course is doing something with them, if not now ..... And of course the military or the police if you have a job that requires a background check or security clearance.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Be advised, in some police departments the finger printing area is inside of the "secure area" which means you will have to disarm before entering.

Post subject: fingerprints
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:27 am 

Don't go to Lakeville they want to charge $25.00

Post subject: Re: fingerprints
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:31 am 
Longtime Regular

mnsmokepole wrote:

Really???
I know they have one of the new fangled digital scanners in the lockup.

Post subject: Re: fingerprints
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 am 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
mnsmokepole wrote:

Really???

I just called and confirmed that if you're a Lakeville resident they'll only charge you $10. They currently are doing them on the digital scanner. When I had a set done last year it was ink and paper for $10 as well. So they aren't elevating their charge, at least to residents, for using the newfangled doohickey.

And contrary to the story I've heard that they'd have a print station at the new station that wasn't in the booking area, they are still printing everyone in booking. So if any one is being held in booking, you'll have to come back. And also either disarm or let them know very early that you expect to use one of their lock boxes outside the lockup. And if you're not a cop, let us all know how that works out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:15 pm 

Quote:
SultanOfBrunei wrote:
mnsmokepole wrote:

Really???

I just called and confirmed that if you're a Lakeville resident they'll only charge you $10. They currently are doing them on the digital scanner. When I had a set done last year it was ink and paper for $10 as well. So they aren't elevating their charge, at least to residents, for using the newfangled doohickey.

And contrary to the story I've heard that they'd have a print station at the new station that wasn't in the booking area, they are still printing everyone in booking. So if any one is being held in booking, you'll have to come back. And also either disarm or let them know very early that you expect to use one of their lock boxes outside the lockup. And if you're not a cop, let us all know how that works out

Part of this is due to the new Police Station at Lakeville. When they were still at the old building in July (thats when I had mine done for the Utah permit) It was $10.00 dollars. They had to call somone in and she took me down the corrider into the booking area. She even made the comment about someone who came in carrying and it didnt make them happy. She then asked me if I was carrying. I replied "No".

It was done on paper at that time. She did a good job and I obtained my Utah permit without any problems. Now that they are in the new building, it sounds like they have gone digital. Anyway, that was my experience with them. But
Quote:
Be advised, in some police departments the finger printing area is inside of the "secure area" which means you will have to disarm before entering.
That is correct.

“I reckon so”
- Outlaw Josey Wales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
She even made the comment about someone who came in carrying and it didnt make them happy. She then asked me if I was carrying. I replied "No".

BTW, <a href="http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7012&highlight=booking">might just have been me</a>.

What that her phrasing or yours (i.e. "didn't make them happy")? I understand if she's describing the heightened state of excitement at the moment they realized they had a situation they'd apparently never dealt with before; it seemed like a first for the CSO.

But if someone continues to be "unhappy" about a satisfactorily resolved interaction with someone doing nothing wrong, then I'm a bit disappointed. They formally expressed to me that they pride themselves on their professionalism. And if (note IF) they then turned around and grumbled about me behind my back, it would tend to undermine that message about professionalism :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:06 pm 

Quote:
BTW, might just have been me.

What that her phrasing or yours (i.e. "didn't make them happy")? I understand if she's describing the heightened state of excitement at the moment they realized they had a situation they'd apparently never dealt with before; it seemed like a first for the CSO

I went to to your link and read your encounter with LPD. That was very interesting. It might have been you?

She didnt say when the incident happened. Two things, One, she gave me the impression it was recent or at least in her mind it was and two, she left me with impression that she had been part of it. But she could have been regurgitating what she had heard from other officers?

Do you remember if one of the LEO's that printed you, was female? Also, I have the receipt she gave me and it has her name on it. If you interested in knowing it, you can PM me. I dont know if it would be appropiate to put here?

Even though she was very polite about it, her question about me carrying and her recalling of the incident left me feeling a little concerned. I thought the same things that I read in your previous post. If I was carrying am I really doing anything wrong?

But, I like to error on the side of caution, knowing I was going into the police station, I decided to leave my firearm in my vehicle. I guess I am not as brave or as informed, as some of the individuals here. :D :D

I dont have any problems with anyone who wants to do that. But I like to get things done and be on my way and not have to discuss "why did I bring my weapon in?" :wink:

Sorry if I digress and this is not the place for this post or response.

Edit - To answer your question
Quote:
What that her phrasing or yours (i.e. "didn't make them happy")?
She didnt say that exactly but thats the impression she left me with.

“I reckon so”
- Outlaw Josey Wales

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.