Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:55 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Background checks? 
 Post subject: Background checks?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:13 am 

I am about to apply for my carry permit and had a quick question. A lot of employers do background checks these days so would me having my carry permit show up if a background check were ran against me? I guess I don't know what exactly is reported in these background checks, purely criminal history?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Quick answer: It should not, it is confidential information.

Others will be along shortly with statute numbers and facts and other such non-sense that says the same thing.

(I hope :wink:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

<edit: Just so no one thinks I am crazy, there was some other convo in here that got moved out.>

Ok wait, I am confused by all the double negatives.

What is the answer to the OP's question?

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Ok wait, I am confused by all the double negatives.

What is the answer to the OP's question?

NO.

The answer is always NO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:57 pm 

I'm not confident that a pat "NO" is completely accurate.

For a background check, you have to sign waivers that allow people to retrieve confidential information about you. These are usually worded quite broadly. Pre-employment background checks are usually performed by private contractors. While they usually check credit bureaus, education, prior employer, and criminal history, there is no guarantee that they will stop there. If your prospective employer cares how many houses you own, whether you return your library books on time, what kind of scotch you drink, or whether you have a carry permit, barber's license, private pesticide applicator's permit, or are authorized as a township election judge, well, they can probably find out if you sign away those privacy rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:58 pm 
Wise Elder

No. It is in a SEPARATE database accessible only by police for one purpose -- to verify that your claim (made by permit card or verbal statement) to hold a permit is genuine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:08 pm 

So, if I want to work for a security company, there is no way they can confirm that the permit I hold is genuine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 pm 

MostlyHarmless wrote:
So, if I want to work for a security company, there is no way they can confirm that the permit I hold is genuine?

I'm assuming you could give them a copy of your permit and some sort of authorization for them to bring it to the police and have them verify it..

Most security companies have something like this in place, as even under the old permit system, permits were confidential. I believe they had to contact the issuing authority directly.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:17 am 

when I applied for a part time job with a company that contracts with MNDOT they did a background check on me. At the first crew meeting the supervisor conducting the meeting looked directly at me and said something like, oh yea and you can't carry a gun at work even if you have a permit. I found it wierd that out of the 15 or so people at the meeting he would pick me to look at when he made that statement I got the feeling he knew I had a carry permit. There is nothing in the emoloyee guideline manual about carrying weapons. Mabe I am just paranoid or mabe it was the CRIMINALS LOVE UNARMED VICTIMS bumper sticker on the car.

Drax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Drax wrote:
...the supervisor conducting the meeting looked directly at me and said something like, oh yea and you can't carry a gun at work even if you have a permit. I found it wierd that out of the 15 or so people at the meeting he would pick me to look at when he made that statement I got the feeling he knew I had a carry permit. There is nothing in the emoloyee guideline manual about carrying weapons. Mabe I am just paranoid or mabe it was the CRIMINALS LOVE UNARMED VICTIMS bumper sticker on the car.

Ya think? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
CRIMINALS LOVE UNARMED VICTIMS bumper sticker on the car.
How many windows do you go through a month? Seems like if ya had that bumper sticker you'd also need a "If I ain't in the car, neither is my gun" bumper sticker. :wink: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Drax wrote:
...the supervisor conducting the meeting looked directly at me and said something like, oh yea and you can't carry a gun at work even if you have a permit. I found it wierd that out of the 15 or so people at the meeting he would pick me to look at when he made that statement I got the feeling he knew I had a carry permit. There is nothing in the emoloyee guideline manual about carrying weapons. Mabe I am just paranoid or mabe it was the CRIMINALS LOVE UNARMED VICTIMS bumper sticker on the car.

Ya think? :)

Or was it the request for a Hawiian print uniform shirt? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:32 pm 

gaygoalie wrote:
I believe they had to contact the issuing authority directly.

The propoganda is working, I read the above as "issuing deity"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.